wanted: hardcore/metal recommendations
Apr 1, 2007 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
As the thread title implies, I want to rock. I have only recently began acquiring newer music (and going back to fill in gaps) after a 7/8 year hiatus. Before the hiatus, I jammed Sabbath and Zep of course, plus Metallica, Crowbar, and Pantera, The Obsessed, plus Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi, Big Black, plus more arty/proggy stuff like Sonic Youth, Mission of Burma etc.

Recently, I have picked up and enjoy the following: QOTSA/Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Opeth, The Tea Party, and Mastodon (Leviathan and Blood Mountain are my 2 new fave CDs by a mile).

I listened to, but did not like: Dream Theater (yeah, I'll get flamed in these parts, but I thought DT is pretty lame, esp. anything non-instrumental); Lacuna Coil (I don't know, it just didn't make me want to bang my head).

I am still on the fence about Black Label Society. The only thing holding me back is the Edder-esque vocals.

So I am looking for recommendations, and hopefully what I said above helps. I'll add that the "cookie monster" vocals are a big turn off. I can handle them on Opeth because the vocals vary and the instrumental stuff is just so poweful, but that's pushing it for me.

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the thread title implies, I want to rock. I have only recently began acquiring newer music (and going back to fill in gaps) after a 7/8 year hiatus. Before the hiatus, I jammed Sabbath and Zep of course, plus Metallica, Crowbar, and Pantera, The Obsessed, plus Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi, Big Black, plus more arty/proggy stuff like Sonic Youth, Mission of Burma etc.

Recently, I have picked up and enjoy the following: QOTSA/Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Opeth, The Tea Party, and Mastodon (Leviathan and Blood Mountain are my 2 new fave CDs by a mile).

I listened to, but did not like: Dream Theater (yeah, I'll get flamed in these parts, but I thought DT is pretty lame, esp. anything non-instrumental); Lacuna Coil (I don't know, it just didn't make me want to bang my head).

I am still on the fence about Black Label Society. The only thing holding me back is the Edder-esque vocals.

So I am looking for recommendations, and hopefully what I said above helps. I'll add that the "cookie monster" vocals are a big turn off. I can handle them on Opeth because the vocals vary and the instrumental stuff is just so poweful, but that's pushing it for me.

Sounds like you and I would get along just fine
icon10.gif

Not a big fan of cookie monster vocals either but I love me some wicked, complex and technical metal.
Being that I am a big fan of ALL the bands you mentioned above (cant stand DT either)buy the following ASAP:

1) Cave In-Jupiter-easily one of my favorite albums of the past 5 years.
2) Please tell me you own everything by TOOL? If not, leave to the store now.
3) Katatonia-"Viva Emptiness"-these guys are incredible...get all their material, but start here. Extremely dark yet refreshingly melodic prog-metal.
4) Nuerosis-"Through Silver in Blood"-this one may a take a bit to "get" but very rewarding.
5) Dredg-"Leitmotif"-artsy prog rock/metal-great stuff.
6) Chevelle-"Wonder Whats Next"-simpler not as complex as the above alt. metal. Great album none the less.
7) The Dillinger Escape Plan-"Miss Machine"-absolute mayhem yet pure genius; difficult music to get into but again extremely rewarding. There are ALOT of extreme vocals on this one, but for some reason-im OK with it.
8) The Mars Volta-"De-Loused in the Comatorium"-another one of my favorite albums of the past 5 years, maybe ten. Hard to explain their music...think jazz influenced hard rock/post-punk with a heavy Latin influence.
9) Lastly, pick up Mastodons first "Remission"-its excellent.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 55
While in my opinion not nearly as talented, most people who like Mastodon like Lamb of God.

My two personal recommendations for you:
Trivium - a young band but a very talented one indeed. Check out "The Crusade," their latest, if you want something mostly metal, and "Ember to Inferno if you want something with more "core" influence and less complexity.

Between the Buried and Me - This band may seem a little out there and experimental at times because I would say they are half-thrash, half-metalcore, but their sound is unique in the scene still and they are somebody to check out.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 55
Melvins - "Stoner Witch"
Electric Wizard - "Dopethrone"
Boris - "Akuma No Uta"
Knut - "Challenger"
Kylesa - s/t
Botch - "We Are the Romans"
Party of Helicopters - "Space and How Sweet It Was"
The Jesus Lizard - "Goat"

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 55
Acid Bath - "When The Kite String Pops" and "Paegan Terrorism Tactics" - Doomy sludge metal. Dax Riggs' vocals are really impressive, especially on tracks like "Dead Girl"
Candlemass - "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" - Unsurprisingly, this album is epic doom metal.
Witchfinder General - "Friends of Hell" and "Death Penalty" - These guys definitely took notes when they were listening to Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Error /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acid Bath - "When The Kite String Pops" and "Paegan Terrorism Tactics" - Doomy sludge metal. Dax Riggs' vocals are really impressive, especially on tracks like "Dead Girl"
Candlemass - "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" - Unsurprisingly, this album is epic doom metal.
Witchfinder General - "Friends of Hell" and "Death Penalty" - These guys definitely took notes when they were listening to Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

Acid Bath were so freaking good.

I'll throw on a few other things that haven't been mentioned:

The Jesus Lizard - LIAR and GOAT

Clutch - CLUTCH or BLAST TYRANT

Converge - JANE DOE, NO HEROES

Deftones - WHITE PONY

Meshuggah - NOTHING

Every Time I Die - GUTTER PHENOMENON

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 55
Check out this one band These Arms Are Snakes. They are opening for Mastodon on their May tour.

They are really amazing. Any one of their releases would be an excellent place to start, although I started with and would recommend the first full length Oxeneers or The Lion Sleeps When its Antelope Go Home. The bassist, Brian Cook, used to be in Botch which is also a really good band.

Additionally The Mars Volta's first album is really sick, although it might not be quite the genre for which you are looking.

Happy listening. Good luck finding more stuff you love.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 55
Rammstein-like metallica from germany

Kyuss-check out gloria lewis, gardenia, and demon cleaner

Deftones-anything off "Around the Fur" or White Pony

Queens of the stone age-Tension head from "R"

Nebula- Like Mick Jagger singing for Sabbath in a heavier style.

Tool-If your in the mood for something thought producing

Rob Zombie-great for Head Banging.

Have fun rocking out!

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 55
May not be your new favorites, but definitely worth a look:

At The Gates
Dark Tranquillity
Nightrage
In Flames (I'm guessing you've heard their new stuff, but don't miss their records from Colony and earlier)

That's probably 20 good CDs right there. If you need more, feel free to PM me.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 55
I suggest Lamb of God (Ashes of the wake) and I also really like the new Machinehead album "The Blackening".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back