Want to try a tube amp... Schiit Fulla 2 -> Vali 2?
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

RiflemanFirst

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I recently got myself a Schiit Fulla 2 as my first ever DAC amp and I have thoroughly been enjoying it. As others have stated, the sound signature of the Fulla 2 is a touch on the bright side and I would like to get my hands on a relatively inexpensive tube amp to compare and see which I prefer. Perhaps even give tube rolling a try.

I currently have Sennheiser HD 598 SE and HD 280 Pro headphones, neither of which are difficult to drive. Also using Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Would the Fulla 2's DAC out to the Vali 2 be a good combination with my current headphones and speakers? Would I be losing out on anything compared to "going all out" and buying a Modi 2 with the Vali 2? I understand that the Fulla 2 and Modi 2 have the same DAC chip, the AKM AK4490. My primary focus is gaming but I do listen to various genres of music on Tidal HiFi pretty often as well.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 37
If/when I do buy the Vali 2, any suggestions for a quality 3.5mm to RCA cable? Something short would be preferable since I'd just stack the Fulla 2 on top of the Vali 2.

So far, here is what I've found:
6"cable is probably the ideal size but maybe cheap quality?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXQPQIQ/

This one seems to be of higher quality but longer than needed at 18"
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5597

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 37
I actually just picked up a Vali 2 last week to use with my Fulla 2, and I'm very happy with the set-up. It made a big different for my 6XXs, but I have to say that the difference isn't nearly as big for my easier to drive headphones. Still, being able to try out different tubes to tweak the sound is nice. Eventually I'll get a Modi Multibit, but I doubt a regular Modi 2 would have a big advantage over the Fulla 2. This is the cable I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-Auxiliary/dp/B00DI89NPE

But whatever cable you choose shouldn't make a difference as long as it's decent quality. Just keep in mind that there isn't a lot of space between the 3.5mm output on the back of the Fulla 2 and the lip from the top plate, so you don't want a cable with a really thick head. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 37
  Still, being able to try out different tubes to tweak the sound is nice. 

I have some really nice single tubes that I checked out when I had my Vali 2. Check my sig. It's a really good deal.....

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 37
  I actually just picked up a Vali 2 last week to use with my Fulla 2, and I'm very happy with the set-up. It made a big different for my 6XXs, but I have to say that the difference isn't nearly as big for my easier to drive headphones. Still, being able to try out different tubes to tweak the sound is nice. Eventually I'll get a Modi Multibit, but I doubt a regular Modi 2 would have a big advantage over the Fulla 2. This is the cable I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-Auxiliary/dp/B00DI89NPE

But whatever cable you choose shouldn't make a difference as long as it's decent quality. Just keep in mind that there isn't a lot of space between the 3.5mm output on the back of the Fulla 2 and the lip from the top plate, so you don't want a cable with a really thick head. 

Thanks for sharing your setup & experience. I mostly just want to hear how the "warmer, more refined" sound I keep reading about with the Vali 2 compares to my Fulla 2. Are you still using the original 6BZ7 tube?

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 37

Thanks for sharing your setup & experience. I mostly just want to hear how the "warmer, more refined" sound I keep reading about with the Vali 2 compares to my Fulla 2. Are you still using the original 6BZ7 tube?

I'm running an Electro harmonix 6922, it's a bit smoother and warmer than the stock tube in my experience

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 37
I went ahead and ordered the Vali 2 as well as a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC tube to compare. Also ordered all the needed cables/adapters from Monoprice.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 37
The Fulla 2 is on the bright side?  Dang.  That might explain why my DT990 cause an earache.   Does this mean that it would pair well with the Senn HD650 since its a "darker" and "veiled" headphone?   Or will it not have enough power to drive it to have good sound reproduction?

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 37
  The Fulla 2 is on the bright side?  Dang.  That might explain why my DT990 cause an earache.   Does this mean that it would pair well with the Senn HD650 since its a "darker" and "veiled" headphone?   Or will it not have enough power to drive it to have good sound reproduction?

It'll run them to high volumes no problem, but ideally you're probably gonna want more power for the 650s than the Fulla 2 is capable of putting out

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 37

It'll run them to high volumes no problem, but ideally you're probably gonna want more power for the 650s than the Fulla 2 is capable of putting out

Any recommendations for a good amp then?  I think I can use the Fulla 2 as the DAC and use its preout to an amp.  Also any idea how it will affect the sound of the HD650 using the Fulla 2 since it doesn't provide enough power.   E.g. poorer bass reproduction/tinny highs/more veiled?  I'm assuming that, given the little I understand about electronics and electricity, that the lower the frequency the harder it is to drive volume wise while still maintaining precision. 

From all my research I am leaning towards staying with Schitt Audio.   I like his price points and performance specs.  He seems like a real zero BS kind of guy.  Gives me faith in trusting his products.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 37

Any recommendations for a good amp then?  I think I can use the Fulla 2 as the DAC and use its preout to an amp.  Also any idea how it will affect the sound of the HD650 using the Fulla 2 since it doesn't provide enough power.   E.g. poorer bass reproduction/tinny highs/more veiled?  I'm assuming that, given the little I understand about electronics and electricity, that the lower the frequency the harder it is to drive volume wise while still maintaining precision. 

From all my research I am leaning towards staying with Schitt Audio.   I like his price points and performance specs.  He seems like a real zero BS kind of guy.  Gives me faith in trusting his products.

Less detail, smaller soundstage, more congested, with less precise, looser bass. Any of Schiit's other amps will drive them well. I'm very happy with the Vali 2 for the task so far, but a Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber will also do the job. Moving higher in their line-up should also bring further improvements, since the 650s scale well with better equipment, but that all depends on how much you want to spend

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 37

Less detail, smaller soundstage, more congested, with less precise, looser bass. Any of Schiit's other amps will drive them well. I'm very happy with the Vali 2 for the task so far, but a Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber will also do the job. Moving higher in their line-up should also bring further improvements, since the 650s scale well with better equipment, but that all depends on how much you want to spend

I hope the expectation that is set from everyone else claiming "it's god's gift to headphones" (sarcastic stretch) won't taint the experience.   Once I get my hands on a HD650 I will try that out.  I guess people not providing enough power to the HD650 is what leads a lot of people to claim they are dark or veiled and don't feel "lively" as other headphones.   It seems to be a pretty polar response to the HD650.  Love or hate.  I'm guessing a lot of the hate comes from lower power amps.

Thanks for the elaboration.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 37
Got some tracking numbers and the Vali 2 should be here tomorrow. The cables & Gold Lion E88CC tube will arrive on Friday or Saturday at the latest. Definitely looking forward to trying it all out.

A couple quick questions for those of you who have some time with tube amps:

How long does it typically take for the tubes to burn in? I am under the impression that the sound improves over time much like some headphones.

Also, how long do tubes usually last and how do I know when it is time to replace them?

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 37
Got some tracking numbers and the Vali 2 should be here tomorrow. The cables & Gold Lion E88CC tube will arrive on Friday or Saturday at the latest. Definitely looking forward to trying it all out.

A couple quick questions for those of you who have some time with tube amps:

How long does it typically take for the tubes to burn in? I am under the impression that the sound improves over time much like some headphones.

Also, how long do tubes usually last and how do I know when it is time to replace them?

Give tubes at least 50 hours to burn in before you get too critical with your listening.

Tubes should last 5,000 hours to 10,000 hours depending on tube type.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 37
Give tubes at least 50 hours to burn in before you get too critical with your listening.

Tubes should last 5,000 hours to 10,000 hours depending on tube type.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll run the original tube over the weekend and swap out the Gold Lion early next week to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back