Want to try a tube amp... Schiit Fulla 2 -> Vali 2?
Mar 2, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 37
The Vali 2 arrived a little while ago. Got it stacked with the Fulla 2 and warming the tube up for tomorrow when the cables & Gold Lion E88CC arrive. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 37
The journey begins......

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 37
I'm really interested in how the Vali2 sounds.  I have the 598 CS (amazon only special) and wonder how it sounds compared to the 598 CS.  I have the AKG 7xx and would like to get my hands on a HD650.   Which tube are you using? Awaiting your feedback on the amp! 

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 37
Mar 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 37
I'm really interested in how the Vali2 sounds.  I have the 598 CS (amazon only special) and wonder how it sounds compared to the 598 CS.  I have the AKG 7xx and would like to get my hands on a HD650.   Which tube are you using? Awaiting your feedback on the amp! 

Starting off with the stock 6BZ7 tube then switching to a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC at some point next week.

I actually had the HD 598 Cs a couple weeks ago and returned it after trying the SE version. The Cs was great, but I just preferred the open sound of the SE for gaming which is my main focus.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 37
Starting off with the stock 6BZ7 tube then switching to a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC at some point next week.

I actually had the HD 598 Cs a couple weeks ago and returned it after trying the SE version. The Cs was great, but I just preferred the open sound of the SE for gaming which is my main focus.

I've had the Senn 363D for gaming and thought that thing sounded phenomenal.  Then got the 598 CS and that was a small step up.  Then scooped up a set of AKG 7xx for a steal and those blow the 598 CS out of the water.  The HD650 is suppose to be at least on par or better (from all the personal reviews I've read) than the 7xx, and the HD650 gets better as your amp scales up in power capabilities where the 7xx stays pretty consistent across the board.

If the 598 CS is fairly close to the 598 SE, then your review of the Vali2 should give me a good reference point to go off of. 

Are you going to do a contrast/compare of the two tubes?

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 37
Are you going to do a contrast/compare of the two tubes?

I'll try to share my findings with the tubes. I'm definitely not an audiophile or audio expert, but I'll update this thread as I go.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #24 of 37
I've had the Senn 363D for gaming and thought that thing sounded phenomenal.  Then got the 598 CS and that was a small step up.  Then scooped up a set of AKG 7xx for a steal and those blow the 598 CS out of the water.  The HD650 is suppose to be at least on par or better (from all the personal reviews I've read) than the 7xx, and the HD650 gets better as your amp scales up in power capabilities where the 7xx stays pretty consistent across the board.

If the 598 CS is fairly close to the 598 SE, then your review of the Vali2 should give me a good reference point to go off of. 

I would love to get the HD650 eventually. Or maybe get lucky and snag the HD6XX if they ever start selling on Massdrop again. I see the AKG K7XX is on Massdrop currently, but unfortunately have bills & rent to pay first. Yay for adulting!

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #25 of 37
I would love to get the HD650 eventually. Or maybe get lucky and snag the HD6XX if they ever start selling on Massdrop again. I see the AKG K7XX is on Massdrop currently, but unfortunately have bills & rent to pay first. Yay for adulting!

I highly doubt we will see another 6XX drop.  The HD650 is pretty cheap on the UK amazon site.  Tempting...

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 37
The cables came in and I've done a little listening with the Vali 2 and stock 6BZ7 tube (24 hrs burn in so far). I will say that it sounds VERY similar to the amp on my Fulla 2 for the most part, with some subtle differences. For example, with the Vali 2, there is a bit more bass/low end presence and the highs are not as bright or harsh. It makes sense that the sound is very similar since the Vali 2 is a hybrid amp, not a full blown tube amp. So far, I am liking it because the sound is more laid back and easier on the ears in my opinion. I am curious to hear the difference with the Gold Lion E88CC tube, but will hold off until at least Monday to make the switch.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 37
I'm a couple more hours into listening and I can say with certainty that the fatigue I experienced over time with the Fulla 2 alone is gone thanks to the reduced brightness when paired with the Vali 2. Don't get me wrong, the Fulla 2 alone sounds great to me, but the Vali 2 is clearly a much higher quality amp.    

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 37
Well... I got a little impatient and decided to swap the tubes early after giving the Canadian 6BZ7 a good 50+ hour burn in. I've only been using the Russian Genalex Gold Lion E88CC tube for a little over an hour, but I can tell already that the sound is fuller & deeper compared to the Canadian 6BZ7. I've read in other posts that the Schiit supplied 6BZ7 tube is more "solid state" sounding compared to other tubes and I can hear what people mean by that now. The E88CC tube will definitely need more burn in time to give an accurate comparison, but I do enjoy the way it sounds fresh out of the box.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #29 of 37
Great to know!  This is kind of what I was looking for.   I have a sensitivity to higher frequencies and prefer them to be rolled back a little.  Where did you source the Gold Lion tube from?

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 37
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Genalex-Gold-Lion-E88CC-Tube/dp/B00D1DDKNM 

The seller I bought mine from was Tonal Tubes, but they are currently backordered. I'm thinking I may actually buy an extra one or two of these since I really enjoy their sound and don't want to go too far down the tube rolling rabbit hole. Time will tell.... I also decided to replace my Fulla 2 with a Modi Multibit and that should be arriving in the next 2-3 days hopefully. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back