Want to build a solid state HP amp :)
Nov 26, 2007 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bencrest

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I've been looking around at loads of headphone amps, and I've come to a decision that I'd rather build my own. Now, I've got experience of soldering and what-not, but wouldn't be able to build an amp from scratch.

What I'm after is ideally a 'kit', either PCB or breadboard, with all the components included - or with enough information so that I can be confident I'll get the right components.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for something a bit more than the usual 'CMOY mint' type amplifier, not necessarily in features, but more-so in the outputted sound quality. I currently use AKG K701, which are 62ohm, but am considering getting a set of headphones in the 250>300ohm, either Beyer or Sennheiser soon, so it would be great if it could drive those too.

I apologise for coming across as a complete noob (which I am when it comes to this kind of project), I'm just hoping someone has prepared a 'noobs headphone amp kit'
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 7
hm... M^3 has a solid state output stage, but there are opamps in the design. you can order pcb's (maybe even some kits, but definitely not from amb). the amp got detailed description and you should also get enough help here if needed. but it's not so noob-proof.

um... another question: portable or home, and how much are you willing to spend?

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi there. Glass Jar Audio, a site run by member Jeff Rossel, offers full kits for many of the SS DIY amplifiers. I've purchased from Jeff and can honestly recommend him as a seller.

Additional projects are documented at headwize.com. This site is also where you'll go to get tech support.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Good suggestions so far. Another source to consider is here:

http://www.djgardner.com

You can pick up the boards to build the Dynalo, Dynamid (balanced Dynalo), Dynahi, and Dynamight (balanced Dynahi). I'm a fan of Dr. Gilmore's amps. Also, you will find build guides and bookmarked discussion threads for each of these designs. I think a good place to start is with the Dynalo and an Elpac power supply. The Elpac comes finished, so you just need to stuff the board. If you want to build a power supply, take a look at the STEPS. I've built three so far and they're straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back