Want something more than the DT990 (around $1000)
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tozz

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using the DT990 (600ohm) and DT770 (250ohm) but I want something more, maybe a mix of them both that expands on their capabilities. For my commute I'm using the Sennheiser Momentum, they're a bit more fun but they don't really exceed in anything.
I had the HD650 before but found them a bit sterile.

I'm currently using a NuForce Icon HDP amplifier which I don't really have any issues with, but upgrading it isn't something I would have issues with.

I'm listening to a lot of female singer songwriters, rap/hip hop, chip tunes and game music in general with some pop and dance thrown in.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 13
  I'm currently using the DT990 (600ohm) and DT770 (250ohm) but I want something more, maybe a mix of them both that expands on their capabilities. For my commute I'm using the Sennheiser Momentum, they're a bit more fun but they don't really exceed in anything.
I had the HD600 before but found them a bit sterile.

I'm currently using a NuForce Icon HDP amplifier which I don't really have any issues with, but upgrading it isn't something I would have issues with.

I'm listening to a lot of female singer songwriters, rap/hip hop, chip tunes and game music in general with some pop and dance thrown in.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Given your preferred sound signature, the LCD-2 seems to be a good match.

I don't know your amp, but am guessing that you will want one matched to power an Ortho that is moderately difficult to power relative to other Orthos.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 13
Though others may disagree, I feel that my HD800 bests my (sold) LCD-2 in every respect, save for the bass department, where it has a smidge less texture than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is too warm to properly reproduce female vocals--they feel slow and mushy. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Oh, and the HD800, contrary to what many may say, is easier to drive than the LCD-2. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 13
  Though others may disagree, I feel that my HD800 bests my (sold) LCD-2 in every respect, save for the bass department, where it has a smidge less texture than the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is too warm to properly reproduce female vocals--they feel slow and mushy. 

While I may personally agree with you, that is not the sound signature that the OP seeks.  The LCD-2 sound signature is.  Also, recently spotted deals not withstanding, the HD 800 is normally hundreds of $ north of the OP's stated budget.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 13
You hit the nail on the head with that one. If comfort is no worry for him, the LCD-2 is a wonderful headphone to consider. I found that I could not wear the headphone for more than an hour without developing shoulder and head aches, so I sold mine. If comfort is imperative, the T1 could be in the cards...

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Oh, comfort is quite important actually, I can sit for hours with my headphones on while developing. I changed the post to reflect that it was the HD650 I had previously, not the HD600.

I have been looking at the T1 a lot, for comfort it seems to be like the DT990 but a bit heavier which should be quite good considering I've been using them for half a day at a time on occasion.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 13
  Oh, comfort is quite important actually, I can sit for hours with my headphones on while developing. I changed the post to reflect that it was the HD650 I had previously, not the HD600.

I have been looking at the T1 a lot, for comfort it seems to be like the DT990 but a bit heavier which should be quite good considering I've been using them for half a day at a time on occasion.

I like the T1 a great deal, but it sounds much more like an improved DT 880 than the more "V" shaped EQ found in the DT 990 and very "V" shaped EQ of the DT 770.

It is true that the LCD-2 is heavier than dynamic cans, which is typical for most any ortho.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 13
I like the T1 a great deal, but it sounds much more like an improved DT 880 than the more "V" shaped EQ found in the DT 990 and very "V" shaped EQ of the DT 770.

It is true that the LCD-2 is heavier than dynamic cans, which is typical for most any ortho.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Very true. Some have reported comfortably wearing their LCD-2 for hours on end. If he is able to tolerate the LCD-2, then it really is the perfect headphone for him--but there is the chance that he won't be a fan of the LCD-2's shelved treble.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 13
Or what he could do is go with 
HE 400, with Beyer J$money Pads for a VERY Beyer Open sound OR Modular Pleathers for a more warm Dt 770 sound, as far as amping goes. get your self an Audio GD 10.33, and go fully balanced with the He 400

I found that only a Fully Balanced HE 400 [I like J$money Pads] was the only upgrade to my Dt 990. 

So you could go that route, I paid about $500 for my HE 400+J$moneyPads + Hybrid Copper Silver Toxic Cable ] and my Audio GD 10ES2 cost me $630

You could find an HE 400+ cable for less than what I paid, in addition the Audio GD 10.33 should be about cheaper 

I think you would enjoy the upgrade balanced brings to a head phone

OR you could grab a $200 Emotive Mini X100 and an HE 500 or LCD 2 

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Decided to go with the LCD-2 (ordered, haven't received them yet), thanks for the tips!

Edit:
Received the headphones, also decided to get a NuForce UDH-100, solid DAC and an upgrade on the amplifier side from my Icon HDP.
Initial impressions aren't as high as I expected, they do sound better than my DT 990's, not as pitchy vocals, I will let them burn in for a while and update once I can compare them closer.

As for comfort, they're not as gentle as the DT990 (but I enjoy the pads more), but I can't say they're very uncomfortable, there's some preasure points, but time till tell if I adjust, too early to judge for now. I don't notice the weight at all, then again I always have my elbows grounded on the desk so that might help.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 13
  Decided to go with the LCD-2 (ordered, haven't received them yet), thanks for the tips!

Edit:
Received the headphones, also decided to get a NuForce UDH-100, solid DAC and an upgrade on the amplifier side from my Icon HDP.
Initial impressions aren't as high as I expected, they do sound better than my DT 990's, not as pitchy vocals, I will let them burn in for a while and update once I can compare them closer.

As for comfort, they're not as gentle as the DT990 (but I enjoy the pads more), but I can't say they're very uncomfortable, there's some preasure points, but time till tell if I adjust, too early to judge for now. I don't notice the weight at all, then again I always have my elbows grounded on the desk so that might help.

happy to hear that 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back