Want headphones for metalcore, $100 budget
Apr 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 21
Yeah. Grados are great for rock and metal, but no subbass. Unfortunately, there's nothing with good subbass extension that sounds quite like the SR80i.

Try a Sony DR-Z7.

Or, more realistically, a Koss Pro/4AAA (vintage)

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 21
Yeah. Grados are great for rock and metal, but no subbass. Unfortunately, there's nothing with good subbass extension that sounds quite like the SR80i.

Actually, Shure SRH940s are Ok with metal, a bit harsh on some tracks (especially if not recorded/mastered well) but it does do sub-bass and mid-bass in a clean way. There's also the Beyer T5p's and a few others from $50 to $1000 (from AKG 240MKII to Hifiman HE500, to Ultrasone Signature Pro, etc.)

:wink:

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 21
Actually, Shure SRH940s are Ok with metal, a bit harsh on some tracks (especially if not recorded/mastered well) but it does do sub-bass and mid-bass in a clean way. There's also the Beyer T5p's and a few others from $50 to $1000 (from AKG 240MKII to Hifiman HE500, to Ultrasone Signature Pro, etc.)

:wink:

I don't doubt there are other headphones that people like for rock and metal. But I still bet they don’t sound like Grados. :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #20 of 21

Try a Sony DR-Z7.

The Sony DR-Z7's are pretty much impossible to find. And if you do find them, people want a kingdom's worth of riches for them.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 21

Try a Sony DR-Z7.

The Sony DR-Z7's are pretty much impossible to find. And if you do find them, people want a kingdom's worth of riches for them.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Every single Z7 I've ever seen show up has gone for under $200, excluding the NOS pair I dropped $500 on. One of them even went for under $100. GREQ just got a pair for ~$120 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back