Want headphones for metalcore, $100 budget
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

V0UD00

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am looking for a pair of open backed headphones, best suited for metalcore music. Bands I listen to most are:

Of Mice and Men
Memphis May Fire
The Color Morale
Volumes

I am looking for headphones with a really warm sounding mid-range and good boomy bass, while still clear. There music I listen to is very dynamic, and there is a lot of guitar work and bass drops I want to be able to hear, along with vocals that switch between growls and clean singing. Also I like drums to sound present and punchy. Almost cinema sounding, very wide and full. Definitely not looking for a flat signal by any means. I need a low impedience, I like listening at loud volumes and do not have money for an amp. My budget is $100 max, I am looking for less than that hopefully and am open to buying used or refurbished to bring down the price.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 21
No

That's kind of part of their appeal though. I'd recommend the SR80i as well but think you'd be disappointed in the lack of boomy bass. The bass is fast and dynamic but not very well extended but can be somewhat augmented depending on the ear cups you use. For a lot of metal, especially when a double kick is used a lot of sub bass isn't necessarily a good thing as it muddies up what's happening in the low mids and you lose the bass ( when the mix allows it to be heard) and definition of down tuned guitars. The Grado bass is lean and doesn't obscure. I like my Grado 325i for metal and don't find them to be a huge departure from the SR80s. I tend to EQ them a bit in the treble region around 8khz and above to cut some of the harsness so I can bump the volume a bit.

Besides that recommendation, I enjoy the bass offered by the Grados. That being said, it's really the only headphone I own in that price range unless you count the Yamaha IEM EPH-100 IEMs which are also great for rock/metal.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 21
  I don't think so... see graph. Another option is one I included in the graph, the Sennheiser HD239. Another amazing headphone is the Philips Fidelio L1. It is slightly over your price range, but is probably the best out there for the price. 

Ha! Yeah, that graph is kinda what they sound like. Drop off in the bass, decent mids and a treble spike. Charts don't tell you everything but I'd assume ( You know what assume does) the L1 appears to roll off off the highend pretty severely. I've got the Philips X1s and they're great headphones but not great for metal. A bit too muddled in the low end. YMMV

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 21
  Ha! Yeah, that graph is kinda what they sound like. Drop off in the bass, decent mids and a treble spike. Charts don't tell you everything but I'd assume ( You know what assume does) the L1 appears to roll off off the highend pretty severely. I've got the Philips X1s and they're great headphones but not great for metal. A bit too muddled in the low end. YMMV

The graph is showcasing the Grado's and the HD239's, not the L1's. Sorry for the confusion. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 21
Alright, I went ahead and ordered the Grado SR80i's. Thank you for the graphs and explanations that were given, I appreciate the time and detail you put into helping me. I believe I've made a great choice, thanks for your help !

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 21
Super! :beerchug:

Things you might try some time: bending the headband to fit, soaking the pads overnight, L-cushions, aftermarket headband.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 21
  I don't think so... see graph. Another option is one I included in the graph, the Sennheiser HD239. Another amazing headphone is the Philips Fidelio L1. It is slightly over your price range, but is probably the best out there for the price. 

Not sure whats wrong with your eyes but the Grado's plot is WAY more linear than that of the HD239.

Go with the Grados if you refuse to spend any more. If someday you want to upgrade, or if you're willing to splurge a bit, try an AKG Q701.

EDIT: I see you went with the Grados. Good, I'm glad that you like them. My advice remains the same though; if you ever want to upgrade, try a Q701.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Alright after spending a couple days with the SR 80i I can say I do really like them. The sound is clear and punchy, which I really enjoy. My only complaint, which was mentioned is lack of sub-bass. With metalcore music, I find the "oomph" in the bottom end to be lacking. Its not that there is a lack of bass overall, because the bass that is there is clear and defined. These headphones would be perfect if the sub bass response was a tad bit better, but overall they are still the best headphones I have ever owned

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 21
Awesome... I just got its sibling, an SR60i, my first headphone purchase in over 7 years.  The 60i I think is a really nice level-up in refinement over the predecessor.  Bass and upper mids are a little less "peakey, pointy and spikey".  Overall its more of a relaxed and a smoothed over kind of sound (60i versus 60).  Not night and day mind you, but just a touch of this and a little of that.  Being that they share the same drivers I would imagine the 80i has undergone the same refinement.  The 60i is a slight but noticeable step closer towards my HF-1 than my original SR60.  At the time of its release the HF-1 was one of the warmer and smoother of the ~$250 Grados.

You definitely want to try the scotch tape mod linked above.  Tyll did some detailed measurements on an SR225 and found it not only improved bass, but also smoothed out some of the edgy midrange harmonics.  It most likely won't extend bass deeper, in an absolute sense.  But it will tip the scale more towards the bass-end on a relative scale.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 21
Yeah. Grados are great for rock and metal, but no subbass. Unfortunately, there's nothing with good subbass extension that sounds quite like the SR80i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back