Want A Change In Audio Quality: What amp is right?
Aug 15, 2007 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
I own HD580's and I am kind of sick of the way they sound as of now. I mean they sound nice, but I really want a change and improvement in Audio Quality.

Currently I use a basic Optimus AudioVisual Receiver Headphone Out hooked up to my computer.

What can I purchase so I can get much more noticably cleaner sound. Do I need a headphone amp? Do I need new headphones? Do I need a headphone amp + a new sound card?

My main source of music is my computer, so it would have to hook up to that to play my wavs and mp3s.

Any ideas where I can look for a headphone amp and anything else I can purchase to make a clear upgrade in musical listening experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My budget is probably about 500 ish or less if possible.

-Nikos

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 19
For a cleaner listening experience I found that the DAC made the most difference. Lots of people here like the EMU 0404. I have a Benchmark DAC1 and heard an Apogee Mini-dac as well. Both were using USB, and let me tell you that the sound was a huge improvement.

Most would recommend this upgrade process: headphone - source - amp.

What type of music do you like to listen to the most? That will help people here narrow down what type of can you would like. But again the source is really important. I'm not familiar with the source you are using ATM, but maybe someone here could help out more. Much luck to you.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 19
I listen to everything pretty much. But my source as of now is just a plain headphone out from my mediocre audio and visial OPTIMUS receiver. Just coming straight out of my audio out from my computer (analog).

Is this 0404PCI expensive, and is it really going to improve the sound quality by a large margin single handedly?

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to everything pretty much. But my source as of now is just a plain headphone out from my mediocre audio and visial OPTIMUS receiver. Just coming straight out of my audio out from my computer (analog).

Is this 0404PCI expensive, and is it really going to improve the sound quality by a large margin single handedly?

I wish I could help you with that question as I haven't heard the OPTIMUS receiver. I'm hoping another head-fi member could help you out to make a better educated decision. I listen to pretty much everything and I love the Grado sound. It is more upfront sound like you are on stage with the performers. Also their cans are more detail oriented in the highs and the mids are really upfront (great for vocal jazz).

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I use a Optimus Receiver

-Nikos

Found your problem! For any who don't know, Optimus is sold by Radio Shack.

Means your headphones are 300-Ohm, they will probably sound WORLDS better running straight off of your sound card. I'm positive that reciever will ruin everything. Even if you require running your sound card to an external amp because you want to use your normal speakers now and then, just go try hooking your headphones up to your sound card, directly to see how it sounds. I bet it will be amazing in comparison.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 19
HD580s would probably benefit from an amp. I find my Firestone Cute Beyond amp made my HD555's sound far clearer. It removed a lot of the famed sennheiser veil, gave them a clearer/airier less muddy sort of sound.

I've seen others comment that it sounded really nice with the HD580's, so I'm guessing the effect is similar. You could get a Fubar III USB which is an amp+DAC in one
biggrin.gif
It'd likely be a nice upgrade.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found your problem! For any who don't know, Optimus is sold by Radio Shack.

Means your headphones are 300-Ohm, they will probably sound WORLDS better running straight off of your sound card. I'm positive that reciever will ruin everything. Even if you require running your sound card to an external amp because you want to use your normal speakers now and then, just go try hooking your headphones up to your sound card, directly to see how it sounds. I bet it will be amazing in comparison.

Do you mean it will sound better by simply plugging it into my headphone jack of my computer?

The Optimus isn't bad as far as sound goes, what do you mean by "ruin everything"?

Would I need to get a DAC to see a huge upgrade?

What if I bought a small headphone tube amp and the Dac at the same time? Would I see a large noticeable upgrade?

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 19
Get a DAC and trash the receiver for headphone use.

With a $500 budget, you've got lots of options, and since I'm all DIY gear, I would suggest grabbing a nice AlienDAC and a Millet MAX. You'll be very happy and it'll go somewhat under budget. If you want everything maxed out (how I like them), you'll be able to get both with very high level components for around $400 (price moves up fast when you blow $50 on output/bypass caps).

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Do you mean it will sound better by simply plugging it into my headphone jack of my computer?

Yes!

Quote:

The Optimus isn't bad as far as sound goes, what do you mean by "ruin everything"?

I mean the Optimus is one of the worst things you could possibly use; worse than Magnavox! No offense, it's just that if you follow the suggestions for hardware choices in this thread, a new world of listening is going to open up for you compared to that Optimus reciever.

Quote:

Would I need to get a DAC to see a huge upgrade?

No, you could run your phones straight off the card and it will probably sound alot better. You could line the analog out from your sound card to an external headphones amplifier and that would be even better. Running digital-out from the sound card to an external DAC or using an external USB DAC plus a headphone amplifier would be best.

Quote:

What if I bought a small headphone tube amp and the Dac at the same time? Would I see a large noticeable upgrade?

YES!!! An obvious upgrade! GO, GO, GO!!!11ONE ^_^

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 19
Nikos, where do you live? Maybe you could find a local head-fier and check out some gear before you make a decision on what to buy. Better yet try to make it to a meet so you can audition a wide range of options.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 19
Aug 16, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD580s would probably benefit from an amp. I find my Firestone Cute Beyond amp made my HD555's sound far clearer. It removed a lot of the famed sennheiser veil, gave them a clearer/airier less muddy sort of sound.

I've seen others comment that it sounded really nice with the HD580's, so I'm guessing the effect is similar. You could get a Fubar III USB which is an amp+DAC in one
biggrin.gif
It'd likely be a nice upgrade.

Lets say that I do get the Firestone Cute, which DAC should I get? And what combo of the Firestone and DAC would give me an extremely good upgrade from current listening state?

I just switched the phones to the headphone out of the computer and it does seem like an upgrade. Not as loud, but reasonably clearer. But not exactly a HUGE difference.

Will a Firestone + a DAC (which one) -- be a substantial upgrade? Will the bass be smoother and the highs crisper? How would you describe your improvements. And what are some key stats to look at when coming headphone amps to lets say my cheap cpu audiocard out / Optimus headphone out?

Thanks

-NIkos

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Lets say that I do get the Firestone Cute, which DAC should I get? And what combo of the Firestone and DAC would give me an extremely good upgrade from current listening state?

I just switched the phones to the headphone out of the computer and it does seem like an upgrade. Not as loud, but reasonably clearer. But not exactly a HUGE difference.

Will a Firestone + a DAC (which one) -- be a substantial upgrade? Will the bass be smoother and the highs crisper? How would you describe your improvements. And what are some key stats to look at when coming headphone amps to lets say my cheap cpu audiocard out / Optimus headphone out?

Thanks
-NIkos

One if the most important things in listening and one that is mentioned several times in this thread is source. Anything you get that runs from the computer sound card and thus it's power supply is going to faithfully reproduce second rate sound. The Firestoe Audio Cute series is a good begining. Combine the amp and DAC,
http://www.firestone-audio.com/cgi-b...sp?pdtseqnm=14

That combo will get you up and running with a far better presentation than you have now and let you hear what your Senns really sound like. Once you get used to it you can then evaluate what you like, but at least you have a baseline.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone using a computer sound card as a source, but audio reproduction is in the end, the modulation of the power supply and a computer switching supply is an audio trash generator.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 19
Cool, looks like a good deal having both DAC and the Amp. I could easily just connect it via USB right? No additions or needing to take the computer apart right?

How do you compare this statistically with lets say an Optmius Output Headphone Jack. In other words, what are the key stats when accessing audio clarity/power etc...? How do you KNOW it will sound better at least from a statistical/numerical standpoint?

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Cool, looks like a good deal having both DAC and the Amp. I could easily just connect it via USB right? No additions or needing to take the computer apart right?

How do you compare this statistically with lets say an Optmius Output Headphone Jack. In other words, what are the key stats when accessing audio clarity/power etc...? How do you KNOW it will sound better at least from a statistical/numerical standpoint?

Why does a $79 receiver with built in CD player have Total Harmonic Distortion specs at .01% and a $7000 Power amplifier have the same specs at "less than 1%" ?

Statistics are most useful at proving you are winning a loosing game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back