Walnut V3 dac amp with balanced output
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #91 of 126
With regards to the heat issue, I think it heats up the most when placed with the screen facing up. I reckon the power amp board & battery, which is under the main screen PCB, are the main culprits for the heat. You could try lying the unit on it's side. That may help to dissipate the heat better. IMHO, the new firmware does NOT improve the UI freezes nor the inter-song pops. In it's current state, I think it's reasonable usable as long as I don't play any 24bit songs & ignore the pops.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #92 of 126
Thank you - I will try putting it on its side. I get around the 'popping' by combining my mp3s into one long file for each album so it plays all the way through with only the initial pop when the album starts. I get around the UI freezing by not spending too long navigating through folders, once an album starts playing its usually fine, the longer I spend going from folder to folder the more likely mine is to freeze up. Thank you for the suggestion.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #93 of 126
Oh my God I just discovered this!

A few questions, does it have a shuffle all feature? Can it take 128gb micro sd? The v3 is stated to have 10 hours battery life if playing only 320 kbps mp3s would that be increased significantly? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #94 of 126
In settings there is a shuffle mode. I only have 32GB and 64GB cards. Mine played around 8 hours after the first charge. I am currently no longer using this player until the new firmware fixes the popping and freezing issues. I am not liking having my mp3 files put into one long file for each album. Also mine does not update the regular way, it will not go into update mode so it needs to have the system folder to copy across from the microsd card, so I am hoping someone will post an updated system folder along with the next firmware update. SQ is excellent but I do not recommend this player due to the issues it has.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #95 of 126
Thanks man I'll wait and see if better firmware gets released.

On a unrelated note anyone able to tell me why lots of daps such as this have such bad battery life <10 hours? They seem to come with decent sized batteries with small low quality screens which wouldn't consume a lot of power and their main function is obviously just playing music so it's not like there are several apps always running like with a smartphone so I'm a bit confused by why they would have such bad battery life really. Obviously I'm missing something?

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #96 of 126
Thanks man I'll wait and see if better firmware gets released.

On a unrelated note anyone able to tell me why lots of daps such as this have such bad battery life <10 hours? They seem to come with decent sized batteries with small low quality screens which wouldn't consume a lot of power and their main function is obviously just playing music so it's not like there are several apps always running like with a smartphone so I'm a bit confused by why they would have such bad battery life really. Obviously I'm missing something?
audio amplification output stage with high polarization

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #97 of 126
It's a pity hearing all of these faults, I am quite glad with the Zishan v2 and smiled when I heard of this player with screen and balanced output.
I'll wait to buy it when maker solves all flaws. It seems that has been hasty launched.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #98 of 126
Ever since the specs of the Walnut V3 were released, I've been wondering how they're driving a Single-Ended & a Balanced output, using one Dual (OPA2604) , and two Single (NE5534) Op-amps. While I haven't seen the schematic, this is one way it could be done (block diagram, without all the resistors & capacitors).

DSC-171127-124626.jpg

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #100 of 126
Ever since the specs of the Walnut V3 were released, I've been wondering how they're driving a Single-Ended & a Balanced output, using one Dual (OPA2604) , and two Single (NE5534) Op-amps. While I haven't seen the schematic, this is one way it could be done (block diagram, without all the resistors & capacitors).

I am thinking much like Xduoo X3 has, one opamp each for both channels and one for Lineout.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #101 of 126
after updates still is there problems?.do you recommend it?
i want to buy because it is cheap but most importantly balanced(not true but enough) and there is touchscreen.
and after put extra 8 pin adaptors to opamps to make more solid,can i mount to the walnut v3?i asked this because walnut f1 cant be mount with extra dip8 socket because case cant be closed.thanks

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #102 of 126
For Walnut V3 users, there's a new module to upgrade the built-in amplifier to TPA6120. Walnut HIFI claimed that it will be able to drive headphones of 16-600ohm, reduce noise, enlarge soundstage and etc (the typical sales pitch).

A guy who installed the module into his V3 claimed that the crackling sound is now gone, the noise floor is cleaner, soundstage is wider BUT it is not without a downside. When changing from a song to another, he can hear electrical noise.

TB2CUIJlMLD8KJjSszeXXaGRpXa_!!2772835143.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #103 of 126
For Walnut V3 users, there's a new module to upgrade the built-in amplifier to TPA6120. Walnut HIFI claimed that it will be able to drive headphones of 16-600ohm, reduce noise, enlarge soundstage and etc (the typical sales pitch).

A guy who installed the module into his V3 claimed that the crackling sound is now gone, the noise floor is cleaner, soundstage is wider BUT it is not without a downside. When changing from a song to another, he can hear electrical noise.

Be wary of output impedance with that. Many TPA6120a2 implementations have a far higher output impedance than many portable IEMs/headphones would need to not be affected. No clue as to how this particular implementation is in that regard, but It's something to think about.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #105 of 126
Anyone compare walnut latest with Fiio Q1 MKII? I thought Q1 MKII was much better clarity than walnut v2.1. I still like the v2.1 for its sound character. And my creative G5 with the Tpa6210 was warmer than Q1 MKII while the clarity on the Fiio was much better, in balanced mode. The G5 is still good but the Fiio made me believe things could get even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back