Walnut V3 dac amp with balanced output
Oct 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #76 of 126
Noticeable noise while playing 24/96 files & "good sound quality" as it is mentioned above just dont match....it just doesnt make any sense...lots of issues to be solved there yet as i can tell always imho.......
And the ancient UI is very well indeed demonstrated in the pictures of V3 on Alie...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #78 of 126
Yeah.. sad news, will go for Zishan Z2 and Seahf 150 ohm earbuds instead for my Christmas present.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #79 of 126
Using firmware FW10.28. So far, it plays mp3(320kbs) or flac(16bit) or wav just fine. Flac(24bit) has unacceptable distortion when playing high music content; I think the processor/memory is swamped by the workload at 24bit. Some occasional amplifier-popping when going to next song. Touch screen is designed more for toothpicks rather than finger sizes.

For me, the v3 in its current state, is usable in a ghetto sort of style. It feels like it has a few more firmware upgrades to go to be consumer-ready. IMHO, it has some potential as a cheap hackable dap.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #80 of 126
Using firmware FW10.28. So far, it plays mp3(320kbs) or flac(16bit) or wav just fine. Flac(24bit) has unacceptable distortion when playing high music content; I think the processor/memory is swamped by the workload at 24bit. Some occasional amplifier-popping when going to next song. Touch screen is designed more for toothpicks rather than finger sizes.

For me, the v3 in its current state, is usable in a ghetto sort of style. It feels like it has a few more firmware upgrades to go to be consumer-ready. IMHO, it has some potential as a cheap hackable dap.
Glad to see yours is working fine.
I got mine a while ago and I think it's a defective unit. I can't hear anything from PO or Balanced, but only from LO at max volume. Any idea why that might happen?
Updating the fw doesn't seem to help. And I'm the last person to open it up and mess around, unless the solution is super simple.
Anyway, the store has agreed to give me a refund without having to send it back, which is cool, I guess.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #81 of 126
I think it's a defective unit. I can't hear anything from PO or Balanced, but only from LO at max volume. Updating the fw doesn't seem to help. And I'm the last person to open it up and mess around, unless the solution is super simple.
Anyway, the store has agreed to give me a refund without having to send it back, which is cool, I guess.

From what you described, It looks like it HW-related and needs to be sent back to the seller. But since you got a refund, no harm opening the unit. Depending how power-out & balanced-out are wired, it could be as simple (ie: "super simple") as re-seating the op-amp that's plugged in wrongly. In any case, the line-out will still work nicely with an outboard headphone amp. It's still a reasonable front-end player when they sort out the firmware issues (eg: better GUI, eliminate inter-song popping and improve processor/memory resource handling for 24bit playback.)

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #88 of 126
Could someone help me with the update, I tried to follow the instructions but am not getting to the update screen. Card is fat32 and has the latest update file copied to it. After pressing and holding the '-' key it seems to reboot and asks me to update the fonts, then error.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #89 of 126
Could someone help me with the update, I tried to follow the instructions but am not getting to the update screen. Card is fat32 and has the latest update file copied to it. After pressing and holding the '-' key it seems to reboot and asks me to update the fonts, then error.
Hold down the button and then switch it on.

If you get an error while updating, remove the update.bin from your card, place the SYSTEM folder (came with the instructions; unzip first) there, hold down the lock button and switch the power on. Once it finishes, do the update again.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #90 of 126
Thanks for your help - I will do that tonight. I find this player has excellent sound quality (I have VBR 320 mp3s, no flac or other lossless files) with no hiss or other noise at all during the songs, but it has many issues (heats up, UI freezes and needs to be turned off and on again, tiny font, loud pop sound between songs). I hope the newer firmware helps. I knew I was taking a chance on the new version of the Walnut so at least I was expecting some issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back