Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 23, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #3,616 of 3,631
I was about to ask the same. I've been having a lot of fun with the V2 paired with the HD6XX (it powers them surprisingly well) but I see now the only Walnut version listed online is the F2, and that has a different op-amp...

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #3,617 of 3,631
I was about to ask the same. I've been having a lot of fun with the V2 paired with the HD6XX (it powers them surprisingly well) but I see now the only Walnut version listed online is the F2, and that has a different op-amp...

The F2 has 5 op-amps, and 2 Single-ended to Balanced Line Drivers.
There's a socketed DIP-8 Dual Channel op-amp on the top of the circuit board, which appears to buffer the DAC output and the Line Input (using Line Out jack).
There are 4 surface-mount SOIC-8 Dual Channel op-amps on the bottom of the circuit board, with 2 whole op-amps driving the Single-ended L+ output, and 2 whole op-amps driving the Single-ended R+ output - which means quite a bit of current driving capability.
There are 2 surface-mount Single-ended to Balanced Line Drivers on the bottom of the circuit board, which drive the Balanced (L+, L-, R+, R-) output.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #3,618 of 3,631
The F2 has 5 op-amps, and 2 Single-ended to Balanced Line Drivers.
There's a socketed DIP-8 Dual Channel op-amp on the top of the circuit board, which appears to buffer the DAC output and the Line Input (using Line Out jack).
There are 4 surface-mount SOIC-8 Dual Channel op-amps on the bottom of the circuit board, with 2 whole op-amps driving the Single-ended L+ output, and 2 whole op-amps driving the Single-ended R+ output - which means quite a bit of current driving capability.
There are 2 surface-mount Single-ended to Balanced Line Drivers on the bottom of the circuit board, which drive the Balanced (L+, L-, R+, R-) output.
I see, thank you. I was hoping to know if it differed in tonality from the original v2, but there are few people out there who've heard and compared both I guess.

Just a real shame that they took the winning formula (assuming the original NE5532 was giving the amazing sound) and had to switch it up. I like the new features, including a desktop DAC - but changing the circuitry too turned it into a gamble.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #3,619 of 3,631
I see, thank you. I was hoping to know if it differed in tonality from the original v2, but there are few people out there who've heard and compared both I guess.

Just a real shame that they took the winning formula (assuming the original NE5532 was giving the amazing sound) and had to switch it up. I like the new features, including a desktop DAC - but changing the circuitry too turned it into a gamble.

I have a Walnut V2, but it's not currently operational (still disassembled, from when I was working on some mods, a couple of years ago).

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #3,620 of 3,631
Hello everybody,
Both Walnut V2 USB ports (for charging and data transfer) are gone now.
Has anybody come across with the scheme/diagram how to solder a new USB charging port with the contacts which are connected to the battery?
If so, please share the info here.

May 4, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3,622 of 3,631
Got mine here off AliEx way back in Jan. 2017

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Got my F1 to go with it from NiceHCK on AliEx and still the most analog sounding digital combo I own which still works flawlessly :beerchug: Good luck on your quest:v:

Havi Nutz.JPG

Of course the B3 Pro's are the perfect complement to this stack:wink:

@avitron142 , if you think they sound good and plenty of power with the V2 you gotta hear the F1/V2S COMBO :grin:

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #3,623 of 3,631

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Got my F1 to go with it from NiceHCK on AliEx and still the most analog sounding digital combo I own which still works flawlessly :beerchug: Good luck on your quest:v:

@avitron142 , if you think they sound good and plenty of power with the V2 you gotta hear the F1/V2S COMBO :grin:
Nice setup! Unfortunately the link is out of stock and I don't think it's coming back. Same for the F1 :sweat:

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #3,624 of 3,631

Havi Nutz.JPG

What is it strapped to?

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #3,625 of 3,631
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,627 of 3,631
Thank you!
Truly the most analog sounding digital source I've ever heard in portable format :wink: :v:

Not to mention the unit has balanced out :beerchug:

Walnut Bands.JPG

Walnut F1.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #3,629 of 3,631
Only thing is minimal OS, obviously no screen and file tracking but as I've mentioned many times, I just let all my players run in shuffle and surprise me as everything I put on my players and cards are songs I enjoy no matter the order they come up :wink: Industrial indeed and I think those bright red Walnut bands just set the thing off:beerchug:

Holy Analog Heaven R1F1V2.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #3,630 of 3,631
As a matter of fact it was maybe 7-8 years ago I bought everything in this shot during the AliEx 11/11 sale for less than $100! That includes the KZ ZS6, upgrade KZ cable, JDS Labs ic as well as the Walnut stack:grin:

KZ Walnut Guy.JPG

OK, maybe not the FX10 and Input cable which are also in "The Shot" :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back