Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #527 of 3,631
I've ordered a few caps to mod my first walnut and it won't be the last. First modded walnut will be just a classic upgrade trying to keep walnut's positive traits but just improve on them further.

I'm changing the 1000uf filter cap with the king of filter caps, Panasonic FM, and I'll try to fit 1500uf 25v as well, because bigger is always better for the filter. But it's going to be a very tight fit. I'll compare this to one of my stock walnut's to see if walnut is capable of resolving the better filtering.

Next I'm changing the 2x 100uf supply caps to Nichicon 220uf FG (fine gold), and upping the volt rating to 16v instead of stock 10v which lowers the ESR, will be another tough fit, but I'll try.

I was first thinking of putting in Nichicon KZ but they start at 25v so they won't fit in the walnut, thus FG is the best nichicon polar that will fit and is two tiers above the stock FW caps in walnut.

I should have the caps delivered in a few days.

And I see no reason to change the stock silmic ii because many regard them as the best caps for the analog path due to their natural sound, they are some of elna's best. I may change them out out of curiosity, but I'll need a fourth walnut for that.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #528 of 3,631
I've ordered a few caps to mod my first walnut and it won't be the last.

I'm changing the 1000uf with the king of filter caps, Panasonic FM, and I'll try to fit 1500uf as well, because bigger is always better for power filter caps. But it's going to be a tight fit. I'll compare this to the stock walnut to see if walnut is capable of resolving differences in power filter.

Next changing the 2x 100uf supply caps to Nichicon FG (fine gold), and up the volt rating to 16v instead of stock 10v to lower the ESR and upping capacitance to 220uf, might be tough to fit, but I'll try.

I was first thinking of putting in Nichicon KZ but they start at 25v so they won't fit in the walnut, FG is the best nichicon polar that will fit and is two tiers above the stock FW caps in walnut.

I should have the caps delivered in a few days.

And I see no reason to change the stock silmic ii because many regard them as the best caps for the analog path anyway due to their natural sound.

well, waiting for your experiments as i'm planning some mods too for my walnut in transit..
also, can't identify on the picture, what is the small caps next to volume pot?
thanks..

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #529 of 3,631

well, waiting for your experiments as i'm planning some mods too for my walnut in transit..
also, can't identify on the picture, what is the small caps next to volume pot?
thanks..

Correction: They are 2x Elna R3A 10uf, 16v.

Also I talked to the walnut creator and he said that changing the volume pot would yield the biggest frequency response change to the sound sig, so that's interesting, maybe we should be thanking the vol pot for the sound sig of the walnut we love so much lol.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #531 of 3,631
They are 2x Elna Silmic II, 10uf, 10v.

Also I talked to the walnut creator and he said that changing the volume pot would yield the biggest frequency response change to the sound sig, so that's interesting, maybe we should be thanking the vol pot for the sound sig of the walnut we love so much lol.

Wow thal tiny 10uf caps is silmic?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #533 of 3,631
Wow thal tiny 10uf caps is silmic?

My mistake, now that I check, they are not silmic, they are elna R3A using mica paper rather than silk fibre paper like silmics, still nice though. I should have known from just common sense that silmics don't come in such miniature size.

purple caps are output coupling caps,
gold 100uf are pw supply caps
small black silmics are input caps!
is it possible to bypass input caps, maybe in use of the walnut as a player only?

Yes that is correct, I am not sure if the input caps are bypassed in player mode.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #536 of 3,631

There is no folders or navigation, all songs are in one list, can just choose to go next or previous song. It remembers where you left of though, so every time you listen you can continue down your list of songs from where you left.

Ok thanks I set mine up with folders and seemed to work also - but was a little glitchy - probably due to ID3Tags/Metadata - I haven't stripped the data yet.

But I will go to flat files or full album que rips.

Any preferred/suggested Micro SD card size? - Cheers

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #537 of 3,631
  Ok thanks I set mine up with folders and seemed to work also - but was a little glitchy - probably due to ID3Tags/Metadata - I haven't stripped the data yet.

But I will go to flat files or full album que rips.

Any preferred/suggested Micro SD card size? - Cheers

I plan on going small with each one themed and change the card according to my mode. Folder envy?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #538 of 3,631

My mistake, now that I check, they are not silmic, just elna R3A miniaturized audio series. I should have known from just common sense that silmics don't come in such miniature size.

Yes that is correct, I am not sure if the input caps are bypassed in player mode.

thanks for the confirmation,
will try to bypass them when it arrives..

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #539 of 3,631
  I plan on going small with each one themed and change the card according to my mode. Folder envy?

makes sense - 8gb or 16 or 32 ? class 4/6/10 ? - any recomendations ?

Also  anyone know what the exe on the 2nd link does ? 

https://world.taobao.com/item/542124740337.htm

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dEHEsb3

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #540 of 3,631
  makes sense - 8gb or 16 or 32 ? class 4/6/10 ? - any recomendations ?

Also  anyone know what the exe on the 2nd link does ? 

https://world.taobao.com/item/542124740337.htm

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dEHEsb3

Id go with 4 or 8, and plan each few days what music you will listen to. At least that is what Im planning to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back