Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 3,631

I will collect the opinions of other Walnut users here. As the Walnut uses primitive FAT32 support (only the order the files are copied to the card is obeyed) so you can use a FAT32 sorting program to re-arrange your files for how they will be played back.

Another option is Total Commander which allows you to queue copies allowing you to copy the files in the exact order you want. I also use dbPowerAmp Music Converter's Windows Explorer plugin to quickly remove metadata from all wavs to prevent static at the end of the song.

I am completely familiar with the first in / first out approach of this, and similar, players.  Have you been able to determine if the Walnut works with folders or simply plays WAVs (or MP3) within root of the SD card?  For me, it would make a big difference whether I use a 16 gb card or try to make a 64 gb card work.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #20 of 3,631
For $30 that looks like a steal!

@vapman

Do you have output power specs (at various impedances) available? If I got this I would only use it as an amp.

I still need to measure mine. Will get around to it sooner or later. I will tag you when it is done

edit: Others are more than welcome to do measurements if you can do it before I get around to it, if so i will credit you on the first posts.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 3,631
2nd post updated and FAQ ADDED!!!!

Just wanted to point out mine has been running for over 24 hours and is still going strong. I will take the average of a few full drainage cycles and post my findings here, but the battery life is clearly a strong suit of this player. I am very impressed, as it even pulls 15V.

P.S. Budget audiophile killer setup: KTXPRO1 and this player. Oh my god is it a beautiful combination. My KTXPRO1 are recabled with $1.50 wire from Aliexpress but is KZ brand oxygen-free copper wire and does the job great. The KTXPRO1 has big huge solder points an  inch from each other. you could solder it with a heated up knife if you really had to. KTXPRO1 discussion belongs in Koss threads.... just wanted to point out the synergy 
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 3,631
Thanks for the input vapman, so only mp3 and wav files.

Also would like to bump the question from a previous poster

If it reads thru folders.

Been waiting for my Benjie S5 and seeing this I would also pick this one up.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 3,631
  Thanks for the input vapman, so only mp3 and wav files.

Also would like to bump the question from a previous poster

If it reads thru folders.

Been waiting for my Benjie S5 and seeing this I would also pick this one up.

Yes it reads thru folders - but like anything else - it depends on what order stuff is copied to the card.  Just tested with some MP3 in a few separate folders. All  it cares about is what order the files are copied. There is no way to skip a whole folder at a time though.

Basically there is no difference in behavior no matter what your folders look like. You can even copy to the card, then sort it into folders as you like.

Awesome neko atsume avatar BTW.

Many thanks to all subscribers =)
 ​

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 3,631
  Yes it reads thru folders - but like anything else - it depends on what order stuff is copied to the card.  Just tested with some MP3 in a few separate folders. All  it cares about is what order the files are copied. There is no way to skip a whole folder at a time though.

Basically there is no difference in behavior no matter what your folders look like. You can even copy to the card, then sort it into folders as you like.

Awesome neko atsume avatar BTW.

Many thanks to all subscribers =)
 ​

ordered one, now have to hunt that postman like we hunt our vapegear

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #27 of 3,631

maybe this walnut official seller on taobao https://world.taobao.com/item/542124740337.htm
someone must ask to seller about fw update. 
biggrin.gif

What is the upgrade option? is it a different opamp or something?

48 hours and still playing.... really impressive, especially as it is driving 650 ohm headphones right now!!! i love this thing. battery life in a DAP.... forget worrying about that!!!!!

Thank you for the official taobao link. Added to 1st page

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 3,631
  It makes my Xduoo X3 (rockbox) sound like a $10 MP3 player.

I am obviously a fan because I started the Walnut thread, but hopefully others will chime in to confirm it is actually not just baseless or exaggerated hype.

Not for those who need EQ though because obviously it only has pause, forward and previous.

For anyone encountering this player for the first time please go check out a lot of initial impressions and OPAMP impressions etc etc  that can be found in the Obscure Chinese DAPs thread.
 Search up "Walnut" within that thread. <=====added to post #3 in here ,thanks Vapman.

SOOOO : 
Definitely not baseless hype. Well deserved.
 Not strictly from a "pricism" aspect either.
When I first got mine I really was a bit (over)taken by what I was hearing and it kind of confused me a bit ( " ...what's going on here this can't be right... ") so I fought the urge to immediately go off on  the hype lest folks think it was yet another new toy thing  that happens all too frequently in here and ignore me altogether.
So I only posted very brief things.
There's others who seem to like this also they will hopefully chime in too.

The thing is compact, very very light and has a tremendous driving force behind the notes. Hard to describe that but force and power seem to be the best words.
That would be why Vapman  said it makes the other thing he tried sound like a $10 player lol.
Low end is deep and powerful also  nothing crazy but noticeable and does not interfere with anything, not like an overblown low end on a headphone does.
Add on the relatively easy opamp rolling so you can tune to taste and it's even better.

Stock opamp is fantastic for detail ( wow ) and really exposes stuff  often times making some tracks take on a new light to me. I do find a bit of noise floor with overly sensitive items on it though, but don't care and/or adjust by using orthos or other less sensitive items.
 So far on opamps I have tried the stock NE5532 and an LME49860NA , with a 49990 and one or two others incoming to try out.
Search the other thread linked below here for other ones people have tried already.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/720512/obscure-chinese-daps/1380#post_12925374 
^first mention of it, then onwards from there.

I keep only a smaller card in there since it is easier to have a few on hand and faster to skip things you don't want to hear at the time to get to other stuff.
 Folders to be totally clear, are totally clear
rolleyes.gif
to this.
It simply goes to the next MP3 ( or wav ) file in the order It was put on the cards= reads folders as if they do not exist. Even with FLAC on the same card it skips right past them to the next available MP3/WAV file.

I think the reason they say to hit the pause button before plugging into it as an amp is to make sure no tunes are playing at the time, since I think it self-detects when that so called Line out ( actually also a line-in ) is getting a signal input (((( CONFIRM PLEASE I FORGET ))))

So yes thought the lack of screen would bug me, but not really at all.
Battery life is really good so far.
I grab this over any others where applicable.
I seem to enjoy this over the others also

Thanks for starting this thread it was cloggin' up the other one :)

*****EDIT:
 One other thing to mention is that these are large audio grade capacitors, so let's see if anyone notices any subtle changes from right out of the box ( charge it up though first ) after a little bit of use. (  please report on that  )

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 3,631
  What is the upgrade option? is it a different opamp or something?

48 hours and still playing.... really impressive, especially as it is driving 650 ohm headphones right now!!! i love this thing. battery life in a DAP.... forget worrying about that!!!!!

Thank you for the official taobao link. Added to 1st page

anytime 
smile.gif

here from google translate. 15v to 16v and nikon FW series gold capacitor. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 3,631
uh oh I need to wait and order some more of those then also.
haha
thanks for that update
"two drill" is actually meaning what number of units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back