Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #3,331 of 3,631
I have Walnut V2 and like the sound. What to go next for..? Zishan Z1 or Z2? Maybe Zishan DSD or Walnut V3..? :)
I am expecting Zishan DSD from aliexpress.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #3,332 of 3,631
Anybody who owns or heard Walnut V3, how it`s compared to Zishan DSD?

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #3,333 of 3,631
Anybody who owns or heard Walnut V3, how it`s compared to Zishan DSD?
I don't think it's valid to compare those two players. They are of different classes and different price categories. But I might be wrong. The best referee is the one who owns both of them. And I am just expecting Zishan DSD and haven't heard the sound of it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,334 of 3,631
I don't think it's valid to compare those two players. They are of different classes and different price categories.
I do not think the price gap is very big and considering there will be discounts soon... I will wait for several reviews on Walnut V3 to make my decision.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #3,335 of 3,631
"I do not think the price gap is very big"
$79 against $134.
Almost double price.

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #3,336 of 3,631
I just installed a BB OPA2134PA into my v2 and it sounds pretty dang good. Are there any better budget opamps for a couple bucks? (If not, this one is a keeper. It sounds as good as Zishan.)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,338 of 3,631
How does the LME49720HA sound like in the v2? It sounds magical in the Zishan but I'm not pulling it out cause it'll probably break.
Compared to stock and jrc4558 opamp i have to say it sound impressive, fast tight bass and especially it brings out more air :) I would like to tell you more, but I´m not sure how to describe the sound better :D

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #3,339 of 3,631
Ordered some of Nippon Chemi-con's flagship audio caps to try out, the AWJ series, they are a bit to big to fit the walnut case, so I also got some of their second best audio series the AVH which will fit.

Where did you buy chemi-con capacitor? and another question, do you know what series of this following picture?

chemi-con audio-capacitors.jpg

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #3,340 of 3,631
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,341 of 3,631
Where did you buy chemi-con capacitor? and another question, do you know what series of this following picture?

^ Those Chemicon ARE series are the lowest grade of their audio capacitor line, reserved for PC motherboards, here is the Chemicon radial lead audio line up from best to worst :

AWJ
AVH
ASH
ASG
ARI
ARE

The AWJ I got sound really great, comparable to Nichicon Muse KZ in quality but a slightly different version of clean and balanced. The Chemicon AVH series I have are similar to the Nichicon Muse FG in quality, but have a better balanced tonality. I also tried the ASH, but it's where I would draw the line and stick to AVH, it's a shame they don't make them anymore because they are better than the Nichicon counterpart and would fit many applications unlike the KZ and AWJ which are quite big. I haven't been experimenting with walnut because I'm rather happy with my current units, one with all Elna Silmic II caps, one with all Sanyo Oscon SG caps, one with all Nichicon Muse KZ caps and one with the Chemicon AWJ and AVH, then I use opamps like AD825, AD8610, Muses01, AD827SQ and a few others.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3,342 of 3,631
@endia : Thanks, its ARE series.

@T.R.A.N.C.E. : So tempting. It seems likes chemi-con caps edge out Nichicon caps. Do you imply me that Nichicon's have warmer tonality whilst Chemi-con's have more neutral tonality? I just ordered Nichicon KZ caps from a japan web-store, but that store don't sell Chemi-con caps. Could you suggest me where I could get AWJ and AVH?

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,343 of 3,631
@endia : Thanks, its ARE series.

@T.R.A.N.C.E. : So tempting. It seems likes chemi-con caps edge out Nichicon caps. Do you imply me that Nichicon's have warmer tonality whilst Chemi-con's have more neutral tonality? I just ordered Nichicon KZ caps from a japan web-store, but that store don't sell Chemi-con caps. Could you suggest me where I could get AWJ and AVH?

I bought them from Taobao, but even then there was not a big range, I had to get capacitance and voltage combo's that weren't ideal, they have gone the way of the dodo.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #3,344 of 3,631
Where can I buy some better quality power cap which will fit in? I believe 12.5x20mm is maximum

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #3,345 of 3,631
Compared to stock and jrc4558 opamp i have to say it sound impressive, fast tight bass and especially it brings out more air :) I would like to tell you more, but I´m not sure how to describe the sound better :D

Thanks. I ordered the LME49720HA opamp, I'll let you know how it is (vs inside the Zishan) after I install it in the Walnut v2. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back