Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #3,166 of 3,631
Just got in the V2S, and happy it's the english version. Words get cut off slightly, and the accent took a moment to realize what was being said at first, but it's quite manageable. The random is slightly obnoxious because it randomizes each track, so I have gotten the same track twice in a row, and it randomizes previous and next, so no going back if you change your mind. Giving it an initial listen with Zen 1. Also picked up the version Lewis had with the earbud, which for an extra dollar or so to include a very well respected earbud, it's a very easy choice to make.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,168 of 3,631
That is a lot to cover. I do not know what positions do what. I simply lookded for cap brands that were popular like the Silmic II ad the Cerafine and the Nichicon FG. I tried to get the values as close voltage wise as what was in thereand stuck to the stock uf values. A desoldering gun is preferred as the pads are very easy to lift, and even then having a desoldering gun isn't a slam dunk. I hope that helps. You can go back some pages around mid March to early April to see some pics. I currently have an all Silmic II modded one, but I haven't listened to it in a while.

I can tell you In my opinion it does not compete with the Zishan. The Zishan is much more black to my ears. Also if you give the Zishan a good IEM, earbud, headphone it tends to scale up if that makes sense.

It seems at this point, there really is no reason to get any version of walnut over a Zishan Z1

@silverfishla pick name brand and their various models cap for their sound signature (Google is your friend) and since Walnut has at least 100 ohm output impedance, using higher uF values at each cap position will help a little bit with the bass roll off. The fun part of cap rolling is the overall process/progress

Thread search works now, so look for posts by @T.R.A.N.C.E. in this thread, he has a lot of informative posts with pictures and detailed impressions for many combination

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,176 of 3,631
Hmm, I'm liking the V2S quite a bit so far, especially having shuffle now. Maybe I really should go ahead and buy a Burson to go with it, and I can always reuse the op-amp later if I find I don't use the V2S anymore. I know some people prefer other op amps, so anything in particular I should consider?

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #3,177 of 3,631
Hmm, I'm liking the V2S quite a bit so far, especially having shuffle now. Maybe I really should go ahead and buy a Burson to go with it, and I can always reuse the op-amp later if I find I don't use the V2S anymore. I know some people prefer other op amps, so anything in particular I should consider?
2604 is always popular among Chinese community
49720HA (round can version) is very popular over at our own Zishan z1 forum, I am not sure how it works on v2s
Ad825x2 with adapter was recommended for v2
NE5532 made in Thailand variant gets mentioned too

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,179 of 3,631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back