Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jun 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,152 of 3,631
What are those 5532 and 2604?

op amp ic.. cmiiw

OPA2604.jpg

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,155 of 3,631
hi guys..i just got my walnut v2s..what is the current firmware and where can i download it? i want to change the menu to english.

As mentioned here before you cannot unless you have some special tools.

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,160 of 3,631
just bought my v2s, im using it as a DAC with my PC, sometimes there are weird cracking noises, but SQ still better than my PC sound card.
but when i use it as an AMP with my phone, nothing different, do i nêed to do anything else?

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,161 of 3,631
V2s impressions from penon audio so far vs z1, get the Z1 don't bother with v2s. I don't know what penon is doing over there my V2's has wonky screws and there are dried in liquid marks over the dap and one of the dried droplets is over the button hole, scratches on dap

Just unpacked v2s, English voice prompts, who needs em at all? Can't charge and listen to music like z1, just crap static noise. Buttons of lower quality than z1 and inconsistent click depth and feel unlike z1. On z1 the EQ is on the fly here changing EQ resets the song playing. Led blinks unnecessary fast.
Unlike z1 there is no warranty sticker. Using the LO as dac has a static buzz. Considering sending it back..

Are there software updates for v2s? Any guides or info on use? How do you delete songs, dac mode etc.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #3,163 of 3,631
@Dark Helmet You've replaced the caps in a Walnut right? Can you tell me what caps do what and what sound differences it made for sound? And did you use the same values on the caps?
That is a lot to cover. I do not know what positions do what. I simply lookded for cap brands that were popular like the Silmic II ad the Cerafine and the Nichicon FG. I tried to get the values as close voltage wise as what was in thereand stuck to the stock uf values. A desoldering gun is preferred as the pads are very easy to lift, and even then having a desoldering gun isn't a slam dunk. I hope that helps. You can go back some pages around mid March to early April to see some pics. I currently have an all Silmic II modded one, but I haven't listened to it in a while.

I can tell you In my opinion it does not compete with the Zishan. The Zishan is much more black to my ears. Also if you give the Zishan a good IEM, earbud, headphone it tends to scale up if that makes sense.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,164 of 3,631
That is a lot to cover. I do not know what positions do what. I simply lookded for cap brands that were popular like the Silmic II ad the Cerafine and the Nichicon FG. I tried to get the values as close voltage wise as what was in thereand stuck to the stock uf values. A desoldering gun is preferred as the pads are very easy to lift, and even then having a desoldering gun isn't a slam dunk. I hope that helps. You can go back some pages around mid March to early April to see some pics. I currently have an all Silmic II modded one, but I haven't listened to it in a while.

I can tell you In my opinion it does not compete with the Zishan. The Zishan is much more black to my ears. Also if you give the Zishan a good IEM, earbud, headphone it tends to scale up if that makes sense.
Thanks. I was trying to make sense of it all in a sort of "trifecta" of electronic fudging around. I've got a Walnut V2 (soldered op amp) that I was willing to throw some different caps in to see what differences that made. I was going to take that knowledge and try to apply it to the V2s that is (supposedly on my way). After that I was going to apply what I learned and decided what I liked and apply it to this http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html which I bought the Nu tube and board on ebay for $50 (rest of the electrical stuff is $65 from Mouser). It's like color by numbers but with solder...

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,165 of 3,631
Thanks. I was trying to make sense of it all in a sort of "trifecta" of electronic fudging around. I've got a Walnut V2 (soldered op amp) that I was willing to throw some different caps in to see what differences that made. I was going to take that knowledge and try to apply it to the V2s that is (supposedly on my way). After that I was going to apply what I learned and decided what I liked and apply it to this http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html which I bought the Nu tube and board on ebay for $50 (rest of the electrical stuff is $65 from Mouser). It's like color by numbers but with solder...
Really it's just trial and error. I wouldprobably do more, but the solder pads on the Walnut aren't very good unfortunately. Best of luck to you, it gets very addicting when you hear appreciable results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back