Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Apr 19, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,761 of 3,631
Depending on which model of Walnut has been shipped to me, I may have to dig around in my Tech School parts bin, from the mid-80s. I know there are some opamps in there...
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, it seems like most of the ICs in my parts bin are digital logic chips.

I found fewer analog chips than I thought I would:

Qty 3 - LF353N = 8-pin DIP, Dual JFET input opamp
Qty 2 - LM301AN = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp
Qty 2 - LM324N = 14-pin DIP, Quad opamp
Qty 1 - MC1741CU = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp
Qty 3 - NE5534N = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp
Qty 2 - TL084CN = 14-pin DIP, Quad JFET input opamp

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #2,762 of 3,631
Well, it seems like most of the ICs in my parts bin are digital logic chips.

I found fewer analog chips than I thought I would:

Qty 3 - LF353N = 8-pin DIP, Dual JFET input opamp

Qty 2 - LM301AN = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp

Qty 2 - LM324N = 14-pin DIP, Quad opamp

Qty 1 - MC1741CU = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp

Qty 3 - NE5534N = 8-pin DIP, Single opamp

Qty 2 - TL084CN = 14-pin DIP, Quad JFET input opamp

I say let the rolling begin!

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,763 of 3,631
I say let the rolling begin!

Well, there's no telling when I'll actually receive the Walnut.

I placed the Order on 29-MAR-17, and the only tracking info so far is:
Posting on 05-APR-17
Despatch (sic) from Sorting Center on 08-APR-17

Isn't the Walnut configured with a standard 8-pin DIP, Dual opamp?
If so, then only the LF353N has the potential to plug-n-play, if it has the correct pin-out.
Otherwise, I'd have to build adapter boards for the ICs I've got.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,764 of 3,631
I'll try it tonight if I remember it and let you know.

It'll be with the Burson V5i op amp though.

In general I'd suggest the Walnut to be used with full sized headphones and high impedance earbuds. That's where it really shines imo.

I couldnt agree more.  This is a heavenly combination:

Walnut with Burson V5i and VE Zen 2.0 Black

As you said the Walnut really shines with high impedance buds.  My other favorite is using it with my Sennheiser HD580.  They are 300 ohms and the Walnut handles them with no sweat.  I keep a short cable on it just for walnut use and keep a long cable on my HD600s for use with my desktop amp.  It happens to be a Matrix M-stage HPA-1 which I bought in big part from your review.  Your hard work has definitely been of great use to me.

I love the V5i in the Walnut.  It just raises the clarity and details to another level.  I never really got into home speakers but all my life I have been into car stero so Imaging and Staging has always been two of my main focuses in what I consider good sound.  Normally audio stuff never meets my hopes when I first listen.  The V5i made my jaw drop when I stuck it in the walnut.   Width and depth of soundstage, I admit I am not good at making comparisons but the the improvement in the imaging was kinda of shocking with the placement and air between instruments.   I dont hear that level of staging or imaging with my Sparkos or Muses opamps.   They both seem to me to lean more towards a smoother more organic presentation while the V5i seems a tad more digital with more clarity and striking detail.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,765 of 3,631
I couldnt agree more.  This is a heavenly combination:

Walnut with Burson V5i and VE Zen 2.0 Black

As you said the Walnut really shines with high impedance buds.  My other favorite is using it with my Sennheiser HD580.  They are 300 ohms and the Walnut handles them with no sweat.  I keep a short cable on it just for walnut use and keep a long cable on my HD600s for use with my desktop amp.  It happens to be a Matrix M-stage HPA-1 which I bought in big part from your review.  Your hard work has definitely been of great use to me.

I love the V5i in the Walnut.  It just raises the clarity and details to another level.  I never really got into home speakers but all my life I have been into car stero so Imaging and Staging has always been two of my main focuses in what I consider good sound.  Normally audio stuff never meets my hopes when I first listen.  The V5i made my jaw drop when I stuck it in the walnut.   Width and depth of soundstage, I admit I am not good at making comparisons but the the improvement in the imaging was kinda of shocking with the placement and air between instruments.   I dont hear that level of staging or imaging with my Sparkos or Muses opamps.   They both seem to me to lean more towards a smoother more organic presentation while the V5i seems a tad more digital with more clarity and striking detail.  

Well what I understand V5i adds some warmth to the overall sound without sacrificing the mid and treble details and makes makes treble happy headphones/IEMs smoother and more listenable. Also it increases the soundstage in both depth and wide. So it should pair well with RE0?

How can I order it?

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,766 of 3,631
Apr 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,769 of 3,631
Well what I understand V5i adds some warmth to the overall sound without sacrificing the mid and treble details and makes makes treble happy headphones/IEMs smoother and more listenable. Also it increases the soundstage in both depth and wide. So it should pair well with RE0?

How can I order it?

As I know you know since I have read a ton of your post in the earbud and Chinese Iem thread we all hear and respond to different frequencies differently.  Also, changes depend on what other opamps a user is changing from.  I primarily have only used 3 upgraded opamps the last few months and havent listened to the stock one in forever. 

So imho the V5i didnt add warmth to me.  It does make nice full bass but what really stood out to me was the imaging, staging and detail retrieval.  What stood out to me makes it less warm to me and I like to pair it with my warm headphones and earbuds especially since my desktop amp is warm also.  The V5i adds excitement and life to what was coming off an a somewhat tame presentation.  I have always though the Walnut was neutral with nice detail retrieval when it was stock form so it was never boring.   The V5i to me just enhances that nature.

I haven't read a single word on iems since the Puro Sound Labs IEM500 was hyped in the Chinese thread.  I had a few disappointments in arow back then and was having trouble getting a seal with everything except my Westone w4s so I gave up on iems.  It was also when I happened to run into the Monk+ and my earbud journey started.  Now I only listen to HD600s, HD580s and earbuds.  I did try my W4s with the Walnuts but they didnt do well since they are Multi-BAs and the Walnut's 100 ohms.

I don't have the RE0 but I did look up the specs.  With it being a single dynamic and 64ohm in theory it should pair well.  As I typed this sentence, I grabbed my Sennheiser Momentum 2 In-Ears since it was 1 of the few iems I know the tips fit me right and is a single dynamic but its only 16ohm.  It has big full bass, big soundstage,  but what really draws me in is the staging and imaging.  I am really drawn to the air between each piano strike and string pluck in slower acoustical music. 

All that is just my opinion and what I hear.  There are people like Helmet, Nick, Vap, Trance that have tried way more opamps and spent way more time listening than I have.  They all have made a bunch of recommendations.  Anyways,  Its kinda of fun having a small cool opamp collection too since you can use them in other amps, daps and dacs.  I see a bunch of people using the V5i with the xduoo xd-05.   Infact, if I was going for optimal out of my amps, daps and opamps I would actually end up with the V5i in my warmer desktop amp and my Sparkos in the more neutral Walnut.  That is the best combos with what I have but with that I cant put the lid back on the Walnut with the Sparkos in it.  As other say, the Walnut probably doesnt pull maximimum performance in out of these advance opamps anyways.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,770 of 3,631
I think something interesting is happening with the manufacturing process of the Walnuts.

Someone showed photos and said their v2.1 came with a faded case, plastic headphone jacks, but it had no hold switch and the opamp can't be changed.

My Walnut v2.0 has a hold switch, a faded case, like the v2.1 and I don't know if the Opamp can't be changed or not, but I assume it can.

I also have the metal headphone connectors as the v2.0, despite having the same faded casing as the v2.1.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2,771 of 3,631

Lol. I think this is the wrong opamp. I bought them anyway. 

I was looking for, "Phillips NE5532AN Made In Thailand stamped on it"

But this one has similar numbers but no "AN"

I guess I'll buy the right one from someone else.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,772 of 3,631
I think something interesting is happening with the manufacturing process of the Walnuts.

Someone showed photos and said their v2.1 came with a faded case, plastic headphone jacks, but it had no hold switch and the opamp can't be changed.

My Walnut v2.0 has a hold switch, a faded case, like the v2.1 and I don't know if the Opamp can't be changed or not, but I assume it can.

I also have the metal headphone connectors as the v2.0, despite having the same faded casing as the v2.1.

Just remove two screws for the top cover from one side and slide top cover off to check

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #2,773 of 3,631
I just bought 4 different sets of opamps:

5PCS OP AMP IC PHILIPS DIP-8 NE5532AN 100% Genuine and New ($1.99): http://www.ebay.com/itm/272623201186?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1PCS OPA2604 OPA2604AP OPA2604APG4 OP AMP IC BURR-BROWN/BB/TI DIP-8 NEW ($0.99): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221979421124?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2pcs Philips NE5532 NE5532N 5532 Dual Opamp ($3.79): http://www.ebay.com/itm/380899355568?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

5pcs OP AMP IC BURR-BROWN/BB/TI DIP-8 OPA2604AP OPA2604 ($2.42): http://www.ebay.com/itm/261992551627 

-- 

How much money did I waste buying something extra I didn't need? :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,774 of 3,631
I am still curious if there's a Walnut V2.2 reverting back to socketed opamp but kept all other hardware updates

Because from some of the replies on this thread. I get the feeling yes? No?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back