Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Mar 3, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,312 of 3,631
Check out his conversion quide, it recommended to convert to 16bit. But like noknok23 said, the description probably is copied from somewhere.

Anw my ears and gears cant tell the difference between 24bit and 16bit too lol

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,314 of 3,631

Haha same here sir, my ears can't tell the differences. All I know is whether the song is good or bad haha.

Can you sing that for me?

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,315 of 3,631
I ordered right when shipment got delayed, and had to wait a long time for delivery (well more than a month).  It finally came this week.  

I initially had trouble with it recognizing a transflash card I had, but it works perfectly with a different card.  It may be a bit picky with transflash cards - don't know why.

So how do I like it?  I love it.  Really sounds great.  I don't know if I can put my finger on what makes it sound so good, but it has a very analog sound to it (almost tube-like) but with plenty of detail and great bass control.  I've listened both with my somewhat expensive and inefficient Sennheiser HD-580s, and with my cheap as chips but really great Koss sportapros (modified by drilling holes through the back plastic), as well as some IEMs, and everything sounds wonderful through it.  Sportapros (or KSC-75s) and Walnut would make a killer budget system for someone.  Someone earlier mentioned how much they liked the sound with Koss portapros, and it is just as good through the sportapros.  It sounds a lot better than my rockboxed Sandisk Clip or my Fiio Q1 dac/amp, or the headphone output on my audio equipment.

I thought I would miss having a screen to tell me what is playing, but I'm kind of enjoying not knowing what will play next, and it remembers where I left off (even in the middle of a track).  I wish it would play FLAC and higher bit rate stuff, but it's easy enough convert/strip to wav or mp3. The amp is very powerful, and that power is really noticeable in the bass performance.

So thanks to all the people on this thread who discovered it and shared advice about it.  It's as good as everyone said it would be, and a very fun gizmo.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,317 of 3,631
Hi all, I have just gotten myself on the walnut wagon too! Glad to report that the performance is really good, even using my xiaomi smartphone as a transport, it really made a significant difference in resolution and soundstage.
However a small issue I have is that when it is playing through the tracks, there will be a popping sound before the next track starts. Anyone knows what's the reason and how to fix it?

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,318 of 3,631
I'm just guessing about your popping sound.  If the tracks of your music are connected so that there is no break between tracks you can have a popping sound unless the player supports gapless playback (which I suspect the Walnut does not).  The best solution is to copy the multiple connected tracks as a single track.  The other possibility is that you have not deleted all the tags which can cause problems on the walnut.  

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #2,319 of 3,631
  I ordered right when shipment got delayed, and had to wait a long time for delivery (well more than a month).  It finally came this week.  

I initially had trouble with it recognizing a transflash card I had, but it works perfectly with a different card.  It may be a bit picky with transflash cards - don't know why.

So how do I like it?  I love it.  Really sounds great.  I don't know if I can put my finger on what makes it sound so good, but it has a very analog sound to it (almost tube-like) but with plenty of detail and great bass control.  I've listened both with my somewhat expensive and inefficient Sennheiser HD-580s, and with my cheap as chips but really great Koss sportapros (modified by drilling holes through the back plastic), as well as some IEMs, and everything sounds wonderful through it.  Sportapros (or KSC-75s) and Walnut would make a killer budget system for someone.  Someone earlier mentioned how much they liked the sound with Koss portapros, and it is just as good through the sportapros.  It sounds a lot better than my rockboxed Sandisk Clip or my Fiio Q1 dac/amp, or the headphone output on my audio equipment.

I thought I would miss having a screen to tell me what is playing, but I'm kind of enjoying not knowing what will play next, and it remembers where I left off (even in the middle of a track).  I wish it would play FLAC and higher bit rate stuff, but it's easy enough convert/strip to wav or mp3. The amp is very powerful, and that power is really noticeable in the bass performance.

So thanks to all the people on this thread who discovered it and shared advice about it.  It's as good as everyone said it would be, and a very fun gizmo.

Nice impressions.  I received mine last Thursday and I am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds.  It's sound signature is so 'addictive', it just makes my music sound so much more engaging, my Xduoo X3 sound quite sterile in comparison.  Certainly one of my favorite cheap purchases.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,320 of 3,631

Nichicon FG build.  Now it's time for more op amp rolling.  Not as analytical as I was expecting it to be, but I do have an AD825 in there at the moment which has a reputation for being warm.

It look so lonely, like it misses its friends.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,322 of 3,631
I ordered this at CKLewis back when I saw this before Xmas and still have not receive it. At this point, I don't even care for it anymore since I am not even in the country anymore LOL. Take this with what you must, but other sources might be a better bet. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,323 of 3,631
  I ordered this at CKLewis back when I saw this before Xmas and still have not receive it. At this point, I don't even care for it anymore since I am not even in the country anymore LOL. Take this with what you must, but other sources might be a better bet. 

I agree with that. Skip CKLewis and buy your Walnut elsewhere!

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #2,324 of 3,631

Wow, what did the tracking show? If it left China really it's in the hands of the shipping company, did you contact CKLewis or file a claim and get a refund?

I agree with that. Skip CKLewis and buy your Walnut elsewhere!

Depends what the problem was really. Most of the sellers use the same shipping methods as default, and if it was dispatched then beyond that the seller can't do much. I've had no problem with CKLewis with AliExpress shipping, and the same shipping method was used with my Walnuts from other sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back