Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,206 of 3,631
  Hi, I have one of these babies and am mostly loving the sound quality. I am mostly converting CDs to WAV using Foobar but I am still getting problems after at least 30 to 40 hours of use - I get a regular faint click noise, like a scratch on a record, after playing a few minutes. At first it continued for about 15 minutes then went away but now it goes on for at least my commute to work - an hour. 
I have read they need running in and issues like this go away, how long is this running in period? 
Out of interest can anyone explain why they need to be 'run in' and what this actually does? I don't really understand why modern electronic components would need running in but that may be my ignorance!

Cheers

If your walnut does not have at least 20-30 hours on it then i would keep waiting.

I've had something like 5 Walnuts (2 of them i gave away) and on each of them i got an occasional pop or click like you describe until teh 20-30 hour mark. then it goes away completely.

Some of them i just let it play into some headphones for two full battery charges, by that point its about 40ish hours on it, and they all sound prfect...

Honestly i attribute the pops and clicks and such to the electronic components settling. The walnut is assembled from fresh parts and only tested very quickly, so it's not like a more expensive player which might have enough testing at the factory pre-shipping to remove these glitches of very fresh parts?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,207 of 3,631
They are both great, but I prefer the Fairchild NE5532N. It sounds fuller and more open, with much better sub bass.

Compared to original 5532?

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #2,213 of 3,631
I forget it anyone has tried the Philips  stamped 5532 yet?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,215 of 3,631
It's stupid how good the walnut (jrc4558d opamp) + either ultrasone hfi-680's or kef m500's sound. Listening to this Riverside song as I epiphanize this:

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,218 of 3,631
If your walnut does not have at least 20-30 hours on it then i would keep waiting.

I've had something like 5 Walnuts (2 of them i gave away) and on each of them i got an occasional pop or click like you describe until teh 20-30 hour mark. then it goes away completely.

Some of them i just let it play into some headphones for two full battery charges, by that point its about 40ish hours on it, and they all sound prfect...

Honestly i attribute the pops and clicks and such to the electronic components settling. The walnut is assembled from fresh parts and only tested very quickly, so it's not like a more expensive player which might have enough testing at the factory pre-shipping to remove these glitches of very fresh parts?

Cheers mate I'm sure you are correct! I'll keep running in! I actually have 2 units but the second one only has a few hours on it at the mo.
Ta

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,219 of 3,631
I tried some opamps that I have had sitting around waiting for me to try them, which was OPA1602 and Signetics 5532 (year 1984). Both quite nice, didn't blow my socks off though. The Signetics is much less detailed than the JRC version, but I kinda like it's tonality better, the JRC had more bass though. I really need to get around to soldering up the ADA4627's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back