Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #1,501 of 3,631
I got myself op amps LME49860NA, OPA2227P and JRC2114D, they sound good in the Walnut. Its just pairing/synergy with the correct pair of earbuds to get the most out of them.

The Sony E808+ earbud for USD3.80, Surprisingly, its easy to pair with the walnut/ different op amps, other DAPs and handphones. The SQ are with Clarity, detail, good sound stage, easy to drive, good mid, treble and bass (with low sub bass). excellent for light music (vocal). At times I thought I was wearing a pair of cans. The cable are J type one longer than the other that the drawback I dislike. I am thinking of recabling them.

Philip SHE3800 USD3.80 earbud which is equally good. These two are my fav. now. I first heard about them in the DIY thread and I can't get them locally in the shops could be out of production.

For those who are interested, I bought them from the below links. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-MDR-E808-Bass-Noise-Isolating-Earphone-3-5MM-High-Qaulity-Flat-Head-Earbuds-In-Ear/32742308384.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.arGVQf

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1460600

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,502 of 3,631
  I got myself op amps LME49860NA, OPA2227P and JRC2114D, they sound good in the Walnut. Its just pairing/synergy with the correct pair of earbuds to get the most out of them.

The Sony E808+ earbud for USD3.80, Surprisingly, its easy to pair with the walnut/ different op amps, other DAPs and handphones. The SQ are with Clarity, detail, good sound stage, easy to drive, good mid, treble and bass (with low sub bass). excellent for light music (vocal). At times I thought I was wearing a pair of cans. The cable are J type one longer than the other that the drawback I dislike. I am thinking of recabling them.

Philip SHE3800 USD3.80 earbud which is equally good. These two are my fav. now. I first heard about them in the DIY thread and I can't get them locally in the shops could be out of production.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-MDR-E808-Bass-Noise-Isolating-Earphone-3-5MM-High-Qaulity-Flat-Head-Earbuds-In-Ear/32742308384.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.arGVQf

That ali add is a little perplexifying. The bottom pics seem to show the MH750Z. So what exactly do you receive when you order these?

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,505 of 3,631

This is a great earbud, i have never recabled my SHE3800 or tried to mod it but apparently it mods great. However the yinman 150 is a more refined version of the she3800 sound. Still, the she3800 is one of my top budget buds,.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #1,509 of 3,631

Fast ab compare, great for burn in @vapman
 thanks for the idea, saw your pic somewhere.

I think this is not good for a dap or amp. With all phones connected, this will overload the device and cause damage.
I will suggest a better way to do ab compare is to use a proper ab switch to switch out the rest of phones not in use.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,510 of 3,631
I strongly recommend against using parallel connected headphones. Especially on the Walnut the load VERY much effect sound signature. That is why some IEM do not work at all with it while others sound well. You will not be able to compare anything with this setup.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,513 of 3,631
Everything colors to some extent, including the dap.  As long as the only changed aspect is the headphone, you can at least to some extent compare differences in the end result.  The point of the AP001 for simple comparisons was its two headphone out jacks and the cost.  The Mojo is a better source for this, but is also more expensive.  I mean ideally, you shouldn't be comparing unless you volume match anyways, and many people do comparisons by estimating volume matching or not doing so at all, and this will augment the results.  But it's not realistic for every comparison to be taken to this extent.

And on a side note, quoting advertising text never really ends up being helpful as you can't trust it.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,514 of 3,631
I'd like to try one of these Walnut Daps, but as mentioned they appear to be in short supply.  There is a company called Rose Electric on Aliexpress for about $33 usd delivered which seems the cheapest right now.  Is Rose reliable?  Anyone know when stocks will be replenished?

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,515 of 3,631
That's not the point - as a directly driven amp the walnut simply sounds different, it's not just coloring but more massive spectral change - depending on what you connect. If you put a different amp in the output chain you will not see the same effect. So it's useless for a comparison how well the walnut works together with a given IEM/headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back