Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #1,533 of 3,631
Would connecting to multiple earphones this way damage a powerful player like the Nut?

Nope! It divides the current beteeen all the headphones connected meaning they all play a little quieter so you have to turn up volume a little to compensate.

This simply means that the splitter is just a basic splitter without any transformer or electronics buffer. All headphones connected in this manner will cause excessive loading to the output of the player (the overall impedance gets lower, draws higher power/current from the player, the amp that supplies the power get strained).
The lower volume after all these loading implied that the power output of the player got diminished (not good).
A lesser calibre player could have it's output damage eventually.
Furthermore, Daps/Amps are typically designed to power only one output device.

You won't screw anything up by running headphone chains like this, regardless of what impedance the buds are. The player "sees" the headphone splitter as one thing and just pushes power to it. Each bud connected to the splitter passively distributes the power given by the walnut by letting each drain as much as it can. So, it's not like you're dealing with an old style receiver which would be damaged by turning it on unloaded or with an impedance load it doesn't like. I used to do a splitter burn in like that off my DAC's built in headphone out (I use the line out to a separate headphone amp always for actual listening) Burn in away! :)

IMO, a maker of such splitter is doing a dis-service to Dap/ Amp manufacturer.
This is agreeably a quick and cheap way to connect multiple headphones.
But this really serve no real solution (The IEM on test doesn't sound accurate, a 16ohm IEM becomes 2ohm if 8 pairs are connected and could cause damage to the output of devices)

A better way is to use multi channel headphone amps like

https://www.sweetwater.com/c413--Headphone_Amps_and_Distribution

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,534 of 3,631
Well i no longer have an always-Ne5532 opamp walnut. At least until i get more. Here is my little square of foam

Enjoying AD712 while NEC 4570 plays on my other one.

Not finding lighter bass as with ad823 so it will stay for the time being.

A few other members and i are working on a collective walnut opamp chart and when that is finished it will be linked from the 1st post and announced here.

@puppyfi good to know... i wouldn't want to spread misinformation.  I am pretty sure my splitter asks for 16 ohms no matter what but i'll have to double check it. it's true they aren't ideal but make a good burn in station in my experience. Something like a rackmountable 8 out head amp is definitely superior no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV615 View Post

apparently I was wrong. ))) But I still try to replace. will be better
You are not wrong bud, after all it's up to the listeners ears, but i said no comment on opa2228 because actually i don't have more than maybe 10 minutes with it and need to listen more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyfi View Post

A better way is to use multi channel headphone amps like

https://www.sweetwater.com/c413--Headphone_Amps_and_Distribution

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,537 of 3,631
https://m.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/media-player-set-top-box/6m2vn2-jual-walnut-mp3-bisa-jadi-amp-dual-function?search%5Bkeywords%5D=Walnut%20v2&from=list-product

Mine should be arriving tonight from Jakarta. This guy has 100 of them, though I have not ordered from him before. Don't know if he ships outside Indonesia?

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,538 of 3,631
Good to know for those who consider buying the Walnut V2.
Once you make an order,make sure you don't cancel it no matter what otherwise with will not get your money back easy with Aliexpress.
I had to apply a bit of pressure on the wound to make all normal :grin:

What happened? Are you not getting a Walnut now?

I cancelled as it was taking too long, but I am getting again when next in stock, but is Chinese new year and have to wait until 1 February at least.
Hopefully i can find a faster dispaching seller.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,540 of 3,631
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #1,543 of 3,631
  Added to post #3

Those first 3 posts are really good. Still after all that info they are easy to see what's going on and look through.
Great job
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,544 of 3,631
Back from vacation and still no V2. *Softly sobs* 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back