Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Jan 11, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #841 of 1,472
  I prefer 24-bit rips just because of the mastering. You can then, if you wish, convert them to 16-bit.

I agree entirely whether it's vinyl, studio cassette, compact disc, Hi-MD, SA-CD, DVD-A, etc, a superior format or file container will mean squat in relation to any real and perceivable audio quality if the mastering or even the recording was botched to begin with.

I prefer the 24bit masters in general because of the volume and loudness issue with some CD masters. But likewise I've heard CDs or 16bit files and masters that sound better than their 24bit remasters.

Personally I downsample any "High Res" music that I have into 16bit for portable DAP use. Mainly for the file size saving, but I also was unable to reliably tell the difference (read as: fail miserably) between the original 24 bit file and the same file downsampled to 16bit during my own blind ABX experiments. Not to mention that the sound science that MattAnthony1990 has pointed out is rock solid.

But to judge any High Res capable DAP as simply a scam or a waste of money purely because of the 16bit vs High Res issue is also missing a crucial point. Again, speaking in general terms these High Res capable DAPs are usually designed with modern and higher grade headphone/IEM amp circuitry which does improve sound quality. I am sure that any 16bit music file loaded onto a Fiio X3 will sound better than the same file loaded onto say a iPod Touch. New Walkman successor models are usually designed with an improved S-Master amp/DAC chip. For example the F880 (this year's model) is equipped with a S-Master HX chip whereas last year's 16bit only F800; the S-Master MX.

I haven't heard a S-Master MX equipped Walkman before, but several Head-fi members who have are confident that the new HX chips do in fact produce a better sound.

Now if there was a way where we the consumer could analyse and judge quality of the re/masters before committing to a music purchase.... That would be something that will improve your music consumption and experience.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #842 of 1,472
  Personally I downsample any "High Res" music that I have into 16bit for portable DAP use. 

Really? I find that proper downsampling of music is incredibly time consuming (you have to choose the right dithering and stuff), and I have too much high resolution music to downsample all of it in a timely manner, which is why I even started looking at high-resolution DAPs in the first place...

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #843 of 1,472
Indeed, the time cost and getting to know which settings to use can be offputting. On average it takes me about 5 minutes to properly downsample an album to 16bit, but since it's the computer that's doing all the conversion magic. I just find something else in the meantime.
happy_face1.gif

Besides it's only a one-time chore. It does mean that on board or expandable DAP storage is no longer an issue for me. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #845 of 1,472
Did anyone here buy the capped European version?

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #847 of 1,472
And how does it sound to you, any discounts but the lower total volume? I am impatient too.........

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #849 of 1,472
That sounds very nice to me....have the H3 , EX1000 and the glass on my A845 is seriously broken

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #851 of 1,472
  guys i hate to break it to you but 24bit audio is a scam. its only used by producers (as 32 bit is also) to make it easier to clip audio files without making mistakes.  although, in theory, the human hearing spectrum extends ever so slightly beyond the 16 bit range, in actual practice it covers the entire hearing spectrum, in part due to nobody has a 'golden ear' despite what some will claim. if somebody listens to a 24-bit files and claims its a tangible improvement over its 16-bit counterpart they are, without a doubt, full of ****. 16/44 is all you'll ever need to experience what the human ear can handle. anything beyond that is truly a marketing ploy as the high-end audio companies fully grasp that we, as audiophiles, myself included, are always searching for a 'better' SQ. 24-bit won't get you there. its a waste of computer space and does not improve music quality.

doubt me?

speak with an audio engineer. I took the time to read several comprehensive reports (With my trusty thesaurus aka google on stand by) and have made an effort to sift through all the audio B.S. 24 bit does not, and never will, help your individual listening experience.  Sorry to burst your bubbles fellas.

disclaimer: I cannot find the original articles I read but if I do rest assured I'll post them. I can fully understand why many of you are skeptic to my aforementioned claims and I'm a big believer in having empirical evidence to back up my claims.

This is not be talking out my of my rear end, I just don't want any of my fellow hi-fi'ers to make frivilious investments in 24-bit audio and 24-bit reading devices when they could invest in some better cans, an amp, a LP player, whatever floats your boat. Get that ultra-rare U2 vinyl press over 24-bit files :)

Best Regards My Friends,

Matt 

I think you have to listen to analog speakers to get the full benefit of Hi Res  
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #852 of 1,472
Hi,

Once i was a owner of the f806 now i have the f886. I like more the skin of the stock player in the f806 than the one in f886. I don't like the buttons (not the physical ones) in the screen for play/pause pre-track and next-track  inside a circle. I don't like too that when we touch the cover art appears a line over the picture, in the bottom.with information of the time of the track and number of the track. I like the bar but not over the image of the cover. I contact Sony and asked them if they are planning to make skins for the stock player to just let us choose the one we like more. They said that my question/suggestion was welcome but they are not planning to make skins. So i like to know if there are more people interested in the skins just to make a petition to send to Sony.
I'm waiting for your suggestions and support.

Many thanks

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #853 of 1,472
I guess you'll go faster making your own player app from scratch than waiting for sony. your suggestion would work for FIIO, Sony isn't famous for listening to people. they do what they believe to be the best and that's it.

try a few players for android, chances are you'll find something better for your needs. I too am not a fan of the F886 default player. I think they did a much better job with intuitive and cleverly placed stuff on older daps.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #855 of 1,472
You mean these card readers could be accessed via the micro usb port of the walkman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back