Walking away from Crossfeed?
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
I have owned a Meier amp (Arietta) for some years now and am coming to that point where it is time to step up to the next level in gear. I still have a lot of love for the amp and have become so used to having crossfeed on that I am reluctant to give it up. So my question is, has anyone walked away from crossfeed and regretted it or is it something that loses its luster compared with other mid-high range amps?

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO it really depends on your musical selections.

If your music is not listenable without x-feed, your screwed.
If your music is listenable, you not missing anything.

Why not try to find a corda-cross or DIY one? or get someone to DIY one for you.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 12
I have owned HeadRoom gear which I thought had a better crossfeed function. Now that I have the 2Move, I find Meiers crossfeed to be just to much. It simply meshes the image together in what I hear as an unnatural effect. Just not my cup of tea I guess. But if you like it, more power to you. Its also something your ears have gotten use to and it will simply take time for them to acclimate to something new. I have a feeling however that if you form a new rig, say a 500$ source, 500$ amp, and 500$ headphones, you'll be impressed enough with the improvement in sound quality that the old crossfeed function will simply not be a issue.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Personally I can hardly wait for my new setup. The problem is pairing stuff, there are not many audio stores around here that understand the concept of an "amp for headphones". I am thinking of going with the Corda Concerto anyway so I will still have crossfeed if needs be. I am thinking that my opinion will change about it when I upgrade though.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Yep, just keep your mind open to the possibility that crossfeed may not sound the best to your ears. But maybe it does, then a Meier is perfect for you, I sure love mine. Most of the fun on the geek side of this hobby is to listen to new gear and experiment, new cables, crossfeed, seperate power supplies, headphones open and closed and so on and so forth.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, I walked away but have no regrets. For a long time I couldn't imagine not using crossfeed and was using Pinkfloyd's x-feed. About a year and a half ago I tried listening without it and now I won't go back. For some reason I really enjoy listening to the separation between the right and left channels.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I am thinking of going with the Corda Concerto anyway so I will still have crossfeed if needs be.

You could try to listen through the Arietta with disabled crossfeed, so you know if you're able to renounce it. However, I think going for the Concerto is a good idea. Jan's crossfeed is improved in Opera, Symphony and Concerto (now with bass compensation). I'm more than happy with the Symphony. As to crossfeed: due to a strange ear damage I can't listen without it anymore, but I prefer my own implementation to the Meier crossfeed. I had to crossfeed every single CD of my collection through Wavelab, though. In exchange I also have perfect crossfeed on the go.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Never use crossfeed, it feels like something is sucking soul out of music when crossfeed is on, software or hardware
floatsmile.png

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try to listen through the Arietta with disabled crossfeed....

Yeah, that is what I am doing right now. I have forced myself not to use it for a while.

It is interesting to me how crossfeed is trying to replicate a "balanced" sound which audiophiles still strive for but many seem very dismissive of crossfeed. Is there really THAT much difference? (it would be interesting if Dr Meier made a balanced Concerto
devil_face.gif
)

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I've had my Aria for a while and use the crossfeed alot, but can, whenever I want, flip the switch and it's defeated. At a few of the meets I have been to, I've heard all kinds of sounds and listened to all kinds of claims. Bottom line for me was to trust my ears and only go with what sounded best for me. I kept the Aria because it gave me the option to change back and forth. Forget the fanboy stuff and get as many samples as you can and then make your choice. Don't rush it. Why don't you change your headphones by trying to borrow someone's that you would like to hear, or a signature sound you would never think of buying or upgrade to, and then see how much of a difference there is? Whether or not you believe it, little things like power cords, inter-connects, line conditioners, etc, to some degree can even have an influence. Think of the differences in the music you listen to and then think how much that price is a factor in making a slight, (or drastic), change to that magic amp. When you think it been enough time, (it seems to go on forever), then you'll be ready and happier with your choice. It's the music that's important, and your enjoyment of it's sound. Best of luck in your search........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back