Waited over 3 weeks for an EF5 that DOES NOT WORK
Dec 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got my EF5 (finally).

I CANNOT GET SOUND OUT OF IT.

Let's talk about the switches on the back. I'm in the USA. If I set the voltage switch so that you SEE THE WORD '220V' it will power on the tube. If I set the voltage so that you SEE THE WORD '110V' it DOES NOT POWER ON THE TUBE.

I assume the '16/18' switch should be set so that the little white bar is close to the 18????

THERE IS NO MANUAL, NOT EVEN A PIECE OF PAPER DESCRIBING HOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

There is a H/L switch on the amp unit. It doesn't make any difference what position it's in - NO SOUND.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, first of all, in USA you have a voltage of 110V, so setting it to 220V might cause some malfunction of the condensers/resistances etc, or maybe you just killed the fuse -if it has one-

If it has been the latter then no worries, just buy another one of the same type, change it and set the amp to 110V, 18 (as it is the required for the EF5), and wait for the tubes to warm up -they might take some time. EDIT: A fuse costs very little.

I believe the H/L means the gain setting. That depends on the dynamic headphones used.

Finally you might have received a faulty unit, so you should get in contact with head direct as well.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainFood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the 16/18 switch for? I have one on the way too.

It's a little switch on the ps next to the voltage switch.

I believe it's for if you want to run an EF1 or an EF5. EF1 would the the 16 position.

I sent Head Direct an email this afternoon, so far no reply. This really frosts me. Of course something being shipped around the world, things are going to happen sometimes.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 10
It amazes me how impatient people are these days. Three weeks wait to get something isn't long. A day or two wait to get a reply to an email isn't long. I understand the frustration of buying something, waiting patiently, and getting a dud, but you're not homeless and you aren't going to starve or die, so when these things happen, think about the things that you DO have and be thankful for them and the disappointment will evaporate.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Well when does the warranty start, when you order, or when you receive it? Cause if it's when you order, guess what happens, days on warranty are used up..

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well when does the warranty start, when you order, or when you receive it? Cause if it's when you order, guess what happens, days on warranty are used up..

most places go by the actual day you receive said item.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent Head Direct an email this afternoon, so far no reply. This really frosts me. .

It is not afternoon everywhere on earth......

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Jodet, this may sound funny but try a different power cord than the one shipped with the EF5. I say this because in my case the included power cord did not allow my unit to power up. Also pay attention on the way you insert the umbilical cord plug unto the PSU, there is a notch on one side of the umbilical plug that matches an equivalent on the PSU.

As stated above put the volts on 18 and the gain on H or L depending on your listening level. I have mine set at L (low). Good luck.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my EF5 (finally).

I CANNOT GET SOUND OUT OF IT.

Let's talk about the switches on the back. I'm in the USA. If I set the voltage switch so that you SEE THE WORD '220V' it will power on the tube. If I set the voltage so that you SEE THE WORD '110V' it DOES NOT POWER ON THE TUBE.

I assume the '16/18' switch should be set so that the little white bar is close to the 18????

THERE IS NO MANUAL, NOT EVEN A PIECE OF PAPER DESCRIBING HOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

There is a H/L switch on the amp unit. It doesn't make any difference what position it's in - NO SOUND.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Sorry for the defective problem. We have replied your email and told you
how to ship it back and get warranty. Please let me know if you received any email days ago.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back