Wadia Meet #3 - Saturday, May 13th!!
Apr 5, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #16 of 62
Does anyone coming have a balanced cable for their headphones? I want to try running my 650s or whatever else directly off a Wadia.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Does anyone coming have a balanced cable for their headphones? I want to try running my 650s or whatever else directly off a Wadia.

You will need female XLRs.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 62
Todd has all balanced headphones I believe... and my K340's are balanced.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 62
Yep if I can make it I'll have balanced 650, k1000 and l3000. I probably have some female-female xlr's around so you could try them straight from some of the wadia gear.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #22 of 62
Actually, I just got it. Delivery was last Friday, but I had to work Sunday, and haven't gotten a chance to really listen to it. I've also been visiting my wife's cousins in Ohio since Tuesday. One nice thing about the trip is that I went over to SACD Lover's house yesterday and we spent the whole day talking and listening to music.

I really got to hear the difference between the stock orange drop caps and the Jensen PIO caps. The orange drops aren't as refined or relaxed as the orange drops. I would love to hear the orange drops paired with a Solen III and bypass caps. I think their sharper edge would go well with this combination.

I also listened to the PPX3 Slam. I've never heard a headphone amp with so much punch. Earl thinks it is due to the unregulated power supply. Whatever it was, it was really nice. What a great value for a tube amp. I wish my Supra or MPX3 had that punch. Earl's MPX3 with the 5687 tubes did not have the punch of that PPX3 Slam.

Also, it was nice to hear a 14n7 as gain driving two Sylvania 5687s. That 14n7 has a real natural sound to it. I highly recommend getting some of these or the 6v equivalent 7n7.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

I look at your sig and what do I see?

Ha! When did you get a Supra?

Actually, I just got it. Delivery was last Friday, but I had to work Sunday, and haven't gotten a chance to really listen to it. I've also been visiting my wife's cousins in Ohio since Tuesday. One nice thing about the trip is that I went over to SACD Lover's house yesterday and we spent the whole day talking and listening to music.

I really got to hear the difference between the stock orange drop caps and the Jensen PIO caps. The orange drops aren't as refined or relaxed as the Jensen paper in oil caps, which is actually quite nice with the rock or blues music I listen too (along with Earl). I would love to hear the orange drops paired with a Solen III and bypass caps. I think their sharper edge would go well with this combination.

I also listened to the PPX3 Slam. I've never heard a headphone amp with so much punch. Earl thinks it is due to the unregulated power supply. Whatever it was, it was really nice. What a great value for a tube amp. I wish my Supra or MPX3 had that punch. Earl's MPX3 with the 5687 tubes did not have the punch of that PPX3 Slam.

Also, it was nice to hear a 14n7 as gain driving two Sylvania 5687s. That 14n7 has a real natural sound to it. I highly recommend getting some of these or the 6v equivalent 7n7.

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou

I talked to sacdlover on the phone one day, How did you get time to listen to music
biggrin.gif
. I mean to say he has so much info on singlepower/options, and tubes
biggrin.gif
. That if I spent the day with him I would be picking his brain!

Quote:

I really got to hear the difference between the stock orange drop caps and the Jensen PIO caps. The orange drops aren't as refined or relaxed as the orange drops, which is actually quite nice with the rock or blues music I listen too (along with Earl). I would love to hear the orange drops paired with a Solen III and bypass caps. I think their sharper edge would go well with this combination.

In the supra or the MPX3? PS.The orange drops aren't as refined or relaxed as the orange drops,
confused.gif

Quote:

eek.gif
Did you try the 5687 as the gain tube thats what my MPX3 has now with the 6BL7 GT as the driver, Mikhail sent me a PPX3 to compair the 2 and I "thought" the MPX3 out slamed or punched the PPX3 with my tube combo in the MPX3 plus Mikhail put the supra transformer in my MPX3 and did some top secret tweeks to my amp
icon10.gif
LOL, not top secret but voiced it for as much dynamic grunt, or slam as possable and Mikhail said this amp had some new things that he learned while looking for more punch and the 5687 tube, is head and sholders above the other tubes to my ears and in my amp. that I have tried in the slam department. I said when the drummer hits the drum with every thing he is worth I want to feel it!

Quote:

Do you think that Earl has any extra 7N7's he might let go of?

Now I have to come to Michigan for this meet, I didn't know I had so many questions.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

:

I talked to sacdlover on the phone one day, How did you get time to listen to music . I mean to say he has so much info on singlepower/options, and tubes . That if I spent the day with him I would be picking his brain!

Yeah, Earl can talk with the best of them! But, when you are there from 9-5:30, there is plenty of time for talking and listening.

Quote:

In the supra or the MPX3? PS.The orange drops aren't as refined or relaxed as the orange drops,

The orange drops aren't as refined as the Jensen paper in oil caps in any configuration I listened too (MPX, Supra, PPX3). Thanks for pointing out my error.

Quote:

Did you try the 5687 as the gain tube thats what my MPX3 has now with the 6BL7 GT as the driver,

I did listen to one of Earl's original MPX3s (stainless chasis) that had this combination, but it still was not as punchy as the PPX3. That said, it did not have a Supra transformer, nor was configured to emphasize the dynamics. I am glad you told me that. If my Supra does not have impact that I want, I know Mikhail can do better.

Quote:

Do you think that Earl has any extra 7N7's he might let go of?

I am not sure he has any extra. I know he uses this tube a lot. I've been able to find 7n7s on Ebay along with other tube sellers. The 14n7s are tougher to find, but I like those as I use 12v operation quite frequently.

It will be good to talk to you again at the meet. Any chance you can bring your MPX3? I'd really like to hear the punchiness that you describe. It would serve as a good reference point for me, and allow me to compare it to my Supra.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

It will be good to talk to you again at the meet. Any chance you can bring your MPX3? I'd really like to hear the punchiness that you describe.

I need to ask my wife but it looks like I may be able to do this, and of course I can bring my MPX3 Slam.

May even see if "tkam" wants to ride with me to Michigan, too keep me awake
biggrin.gif

Sorry Jeff, on topic from now on! I promise.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Any interest with the Chicago contingent? Ray Samuels has said he will come.

With the new job title I can ask off but I doubt I will get it..

May 13th will be the day I ask off later today..but nothing is for sure

if I am off then of course you know I will be there, if not then I will let you all know

I will talk to Ryan and others about coming later also..

I always wanted to check out the WADIA plant
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back