Wadia 781i versus Resolution Audio Opus 21
Mar 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I wanted to post my initial impressions of the Wadia 781i versus my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack system.

Overall, the Wadia is a tonally neutral and transparent source component. It disappears and lets the quality of the music and its recording come through bare naked. Balance is another characteristic of this player as no specific frequency band juts out noticeably more so than another. The Wadia has tremendous dynamics and frequency extension. Bass has a thunderous quality to it while retaining extremely high resolution and drive for exciting PRaT. Midrange is the smoothest that I have ever heard (even compared to the Meridian 808i.2) with outstanding resolution. Trebles are smooth, airy, and extended. Wadia's reputation for throwing a huge sound stage combined with laser focus and precise imaging are fully warranted with the 781i. There are so many layers within the fabric of music that shine through so effortlessly and with such clarity that I was dumbfounded. The Wadia 781i is truly the very best digital player that I have yet heard and it is priced fairly for its features and level of sonic performance. Owners get coaxial digital, optical fiber (SPDIF), and AT&T ST Glass plus USB plus Super Audio CD playback. On the matter of CD playback, it is as good as SA-CD playback albeit with a more limited dynamics, frequency extension, and razor sharp imaging plus smaller sound stage.

In truth, I would say that my Resolution Audio Opus 21 is competitive to the CD performance of the Wadia 781i, but the Wadia has wider dynamics and a stronger bottom end. Otherwise, the two are competitive on the Compact Disc format.

When comparing the Wadia 781i Super Audio CD to the Resolution Audio 21 CD, it becomes obvious that the Wadia is the superior digital player bar none. Everything improves through the Wadia. The sad part is that Super Audio CD format is all but dead. Optical disc formats are dying and everything is headed toward high resolution digital downloads onto massive hard drives and network attached storage devices.

I will update this thread as I get more listening time to make more comments.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 24
OK, so I have more listening impressions to post here about the Wadia 781i. It is the very best digital that I have yet heard and quite a few leagues ahead of the Meridian 808i.2. On Compact Disc format, the Wadia creates a huge sound stage with pinpoint accurate imaging that convinced me that I was there with the musicians and their instruments. The sound stage envelops my ears completely and this is the first time that I have yet heard such a phenomenal effect. For another first, the 781i is dead on neutral and transparent: it digs deep into the recording to reveal the truth on the disc no matter what the consequences. Poorly recorded discs do not improve and their faults are exposed, but superbly mastered discs sound like live music. Just like my Resolution Audio Opus 21, the Wadia 781i is one of the very few digital disc players that can recreate the illusion of live unamplified music playing in your home with convincing realism. Bass, midrange, treble, sound stage, dynamics, resolution, detail retrieval, etc.; it all comes together with the Wadia 781i as it plays the CD format.

On Super Audio CD, I can say that everything gets better for certain with the Wadia 781i. Dynamic range opens up a full octave in both directions without losing balance and harmony. The sheer resolution approaches vinyl with more convincing realism than my Resolution Audio Opus 21 by a decent margin. There is this openness, a natural tone, and warmth to SA-CDs that make it the superior digital format compared to the Compact Disc format. Music is much more fleshed out with weighty proportions, yet there is no artificial attempt to improve upon the quality of the recording on the SA-CD disc. The Wadia 781i remains faithful to the original level of mastering quality (most SA-CDs are well mastered in my humble opinion). Compared to the Meridian 808i.2, the Wadia 781i sounds truer to the music with more PRaT and a tighter, punchier, slamming bass. Furthermore, the Wadia throws a wider and deeper sound stage with smoother transition in terms of unwinding the complex layers in mostly classical and jazz passages. This phenomenon also makes it a superior digital player than both the Meridian 808i.2 and my RAO 21 by a decent margin again.

I will update this thread as more listening time permits. I will also try to ask permission for more audition time; we shall see if my request will be granted. I hope this thread is useful to someone who may be lucky enough to afford this level of digital source component players.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 24
Great impressions, could you list the amp. cables, and headphones used "music too?" for your reviews. (everything in your signature?)
beerchug.gif
. PS. you are busting my wow,,, I just got a new super source bubble. LOL..

I would love to see a comparison between the Wadia and the Meridian in Balanced operation. You need more toys.

When you say "but the Wadia has wider dynamics" does that include volume ie. dynamic meaning soft passage to a louder ,almost startle you passage,(for example I was listening to a CD the other night Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 6) if so does it ever get fatiguing? (did I phrase that right?)

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 24
To remain as fair as possible, I use the same equipment when doing comparisons for components under review. The music that I listen to are just a random sample including classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc. Right now, I am listening to the Wadia 781i and Hilary Hahn's latest CD which is Bach: Violin and Voice. I can not do balanced output comparisons until I get to that point which will take a bit of time for me. Yes, my definition of wider dynamics is very close to your definition.

I hope this is helpful and useful to you. Thank you.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To remain as fair as possible, I use the same equipment when doing comparisons for components under review. The music that I listen to are just a random sample including classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc. Right now, I am listening to the Wadia 781i and Hilary Hahn's latest CD which is Bach: Violin and Voice. I can not do balanced output comparisons until I get to that point which will take a bit of time for me. Yes, my definition of wider dynamics is very close to your definition.

I hope this is helpful and useful to you. Thank you.

All your reviews are helpful, thank you for taking the time!
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 24
The 781i D-to-A algorithm rolls off the highs slightly by design. This is how they handle the digital filter problem that can create nasty effects at the highest frequencies (others do it differently). At my age (61 today) this is spot-on perfect, and after months of auditions with every high-end CDP I could find (Nagra, Esoteric, Meridian, etc.) there was no doubt for me. I agree with OP ... jaw dropping audio bliss.

At the NJ micro-meet (a few hundred yards from West Orange, I guess we blew it not inviting you!) we did a shoot out of the 781i vs a high-end Meridian and -- as in your tests -- there was no comparison. We did this balanced into Kerry's custom BH and then O2's, also single-ended into a full Orpheus set-up. Always with SACDs.

However young folk might not like the high-end treatment. Of course nobody is going to spend money without listening. BTW, the cheapest authorized dealer is in New Hampshire, and a pleasure to deal with (Fidelis AV).

A few more things to say:

-- This is not even mentioned by Wadia, but believe it or not, when you play SACD the SPDIF coax output is live and you get LPCM @ 88.2 downsampled. Not as good as my PS3 trick which gets 176.4, but still a perfect integer divide of the original DSD frequency. So when folks say they can't rip SACDs, well you kinda can.

-- All the analog outputs are live, so you can drive both a balanced and a s.e. amp at the same time. I do!

-- You can access the built-in DAC as you say with SPDIF, AES/EBU, plastic TOSLink, and glass TOSLink... but not USB. At least not on mine. The SPDIF coax input is very sensitive to grounding problems -- I spent a lot of time on this with Wadia and various source manufacturers -- Wadia's problem for sure. I solved it by switching to optical.

OP's high praise is x2 by me.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 24
Welly Wu, thank you for your impressions. From more than one source, including wavoman, it would seem that the 781i really is the business! However, I'm curiuous as to why you are auditioning the Wadia? From a different thread I thought that you were completely happy with your Opus 21.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 24
TheAttorney:

I am auditioning the Wadia 781i and other digital source components because I work for Audio Connection in Verona, NJ. We are an authorized Wadia dealer and I am allowed to take home components for extended auditions.

I compare all other source components to my RAO 21 because that is my reference point by which I draw my impressions and reviews. I chose the Wadia 781i because it is their ultimate one box CD/SA-CD player.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

TheAttorney:

I am auditioning the Wadia 781i and other digital source components because I work for Audio Connection in Verona, NJ. We are an authorized Wadia dealer and I am allowed to take home components for extended auditions.

I compare all other source components to my RAO 21 because that is my reference point by which I draw my impressions and reviews. I chose the Wadia 781i because it is their ultimate one box CD/SA-CD player.

that's not good. Full disclosure is a good idea.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

In truth, I would say that my Resolution Audio Opus 21 is competitive to the CD performance of the Wadia 781i, but the Wadia has wider dynamics and a stronger bottom end. Otherwise, the two are competitive on the Compact Disc format.

Hmm.. I have owned Resolution Audio Opus 21, and at Wadia's $15,000 price, I would have hoped Wadia to unambiguously trounce Opus 21
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 24
As a member of the trade (whether or not you've been given the tag yet), you shouldn't be commenting on gear you either sell or compete with in non-paid threads.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 24
Jon L:

Well, that was my expectation too, but I did repeatedly write that the Wadia 781i SA-CD performance is far superior to the Resolution Audio Opus 21. Price does not always reflect performance in audio (especially high end audio). You should know this to be true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. I have owned Resolution Audio Opus 21, and at Wadia's $15,000 price, I would have hoped Wadia to unambiguously trounce Opus 21
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 24
I do not see any problem with commenting upon various high fidelity components and I will continue to do so when possible. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a member of the trade (whether or not you've been given the tag yet), you shouldn't be commenting on gear you either sell or compete with in non-paid threads.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 24
Wavoman,

Wadia offers a "u" upgrade to the 781i, which replaces the ST glass optical input with a USB input. The cost of this upgrade is $1000.

However, I've heard from some people that if you are using a computer as your source, using a USB input to a DAC won't be as good as using a Firewire -> AES/EBU interface, and running the AES/EBU through the DAC. I haven't tried either of these methods, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back