WA6 better sounding with highend powercable?
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dvb-projekt

100+ Head-Fier
Hi @ all,

i know from my audionet amp´s, that they play much better with my Oyaide Powercables instead of the box cables.

Is there the same effect to expect with the WA6 ?

Has anyone some experiences ?

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 16
hi, yes, i use to own a oyaide power cable that cost $150+(just in parts) and
compared it to a volex 17604 power cable at $10... the volex had
better synergy with the wa6 maxxed... fuller sound top to bottom,
the sound has more weight to the notes... the oyaide cable did
have slightly more extension at the high frequencies...

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 16
I have not tried any of the cables listed above. But I have noticed and three different secondary market (high end) cables do make a positive change in the sound of the WA6 over a stock (throw away) power cable.

Cheers,

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
This is an interesting question because i plan on getting a very expensive Woo amp this summer and am thinking of using a Signal cable magic power cord with it since the cord was designed for amps.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 16
I am getting great sound with a Lessloss power cord with my WA6. This was after going through everything from a Volex cord to a Cardas GR.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 16
If you believe in the benefits of a power cord, wherever you drop an aftermarket power cable, it will make a difference...
wink.gif

I was going to suggest you to save that money, and invest in an upgraded model instead, or a better source, or simply more music, but I know that you will not listen to me...
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you believe in the benefits of a power cord, wherever you drop an aftermarket power cable, it will make a difference...
wink.gif

I was going to suggest you to save that money, and invest in an upgraded model instead, or a better source, or simply more music, but I know that you will not listen to me...
frown.gif

Please don´t let us discuss different sounding of any cords here! Those who had try it seriously, know what i mean.

BTW, my WA6 is compl. maxxed with the pseudo-dual PS...(I hope, Jack will it deliver in the next two weeks)
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvb-projekt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...BTW, my WA6 is compl. maxxed with the pseudo-dual PS...(I hope, Jack will it deliver in the next two weeks)
biggrin.gif

nice, congrats! in this case, i'd suggest you try out powercords yourself
on the new amp after the capacitors are fully burnt-in...about 700 - 800 hrs.
the sound of the new amp will change so much that the powercord that may
sound good in the beginning may not sound as good when the capacitors have settled.

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 16
I can hear differences in some interconnects or headphone cables. But when it comes to power cords I buy for longevity and quality, not sound.

I don't think I can tell the difference on my WA6 (or Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro) between a $7 Radioshack cord, my $30-40 Iron Lung jellyfish, and my $100 Shunyata Viper. They all seem like they will outlive me in terms of build, and I can't see myself spending more than this much on power cables. I do have all my cables plugged into a Belkin power conditioner, which also was under $100.

I'd love to know what you "hear" in that power cable with your other amp, and whether you hear the same changes with the WA6. The fact that a rectifier tube change can make a big difference in the WA6 sound makes me wonder if I am just not trying hard enough to hear changes with different power cords on my WA6. Something about the audio signal rides on the DC current in the amp? So the quality of the power going into the amp should be important, but it seems a power conditioner should have a bigger impact than a cable carrying 120v AC.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you're plugging that power cable into the transformer on the street I don't see how it could do anything

I agree. Think about it. You've got about 50 or so feet to your main circuit breaker panel with #14 or #12 solid core wire. Then all that wire that runs to the step down transformer somewhere down your block. How could 6 or so feet of audiophile grade power cable going to make a difference? Especially when most headphone amps draw less than a couple of amps? I don't get it.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 16
I thought about this for some time in the past and then started reading about it and did some designs myself. I have made power conditioners using large 50 pound toroids designed for this purpose and finally realized that a "good" power cord is doing more than just allowing the electrons to flow, it also performs, good or bad depending upon design, a function as a conditioner. The dielectric, conductive material, shielding if used, and layout of the conductors whether braided or twisted or both all have influence. So it isn't just that you are getting electrons from point A to B after they have already traveled hundreds of miles through wire and connections of different qualities and then finally in the house wire, it is the function or effect of the power cord, if designed as a conditioner, on that final flow.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought about this for some time in the past and then started reading about it and did some designs myself. I have made power conditioners using large 50 pound toroids designed for this purpose and finally realized that a "good" power cord is doing more than just allowing the electrons to flow, it also performs, good or bad depending upon design, a function as a conditioner. The dielectric, conductive material, shielding if used, and layout of the conductors whether braided or twisted or both all have influence. So it isn't just that you are getting electrons from point A to B after they have already traveled hundreds of miles through wire and connections of different qualities and then finally in the house wire, it is the function or effect of the power cord, if designed as a conditioner, on that final flow.

I don´t describe it better ! I had tried it with differend cords on my amps and also with differend Fuses! It is incredible, witch effects the cords and the Fuses have.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 16
In addition to power cords, I'm very interested in learning more about the pros and cons of power conditioners.

I run my HT setup out of a Belkin PF60, but I have read that this sort of power conditioner, which uses filters in series, is a "current limiting" design, and is therefore considered less than ideal for hi-fi audio applications.

The ideal, as I understand it, is a power plant AC regenerator, which produces a perfect, unclipped sin wave, as described in: PS Audio - Power Conditioners

Having read certain user comments on this board indicating that tube amps should be plugged directly into the wall, absent a surge bar, I had been running my Woo 3 that way for the last several months. However, I had also been having a recurring issue where every now and then, I would hear a number of rapid blips (like fast pops, but with some tone to them)...which I had attributed to imperfections in the digital signal produced via my computer. But this weekend, for the first time, I heard the noise while my computer was turned off!

Realizing that this might actually be a power issue, I stuck a garden variety surge bar between my amp and the wall and the issue is gone. So clearly, I have dirty power...now what to do about it...
confused.gif
Sadly, a power plant AC regenerator is not in my current budget.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 16
A correctly designed line purifier will be fine for amps if it is designed for the current. Headphone amps require nothing approaching speaker amps in terms of current demand so there is a broader field of lower priced purifiers that can be used. The best indicator is your ear because even the very finest and costliest doesn't mean it is right for your amp, source or whatever is plugged into it.

I have a preamp I built with a very powerful power supply. I have mono amps for my speakers. The monos can be plugged into my toroid power purifier I built with a special 50 pound toroid designed for this that has other features as well but my preamp, that has never liked any type of purifier will not do its best even of the big purifier I built but the the monos and dac and transport all sound better with it. The preamp, directly into the wall as if it was some current hungry monster. :^)

So you have to listen to what you truly hear and not what you think you should hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back