WA5-LE tube choices
Jun 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now there is a trio for sale on Audiogon for a Grand

There are also some pairs available for $600 if anyone's looking for some. I think I may grab a pair, but I am also curious about the Sophia Carbon Plate 300b's. I have read that they are a step up from the Mesh Plates. Anyone have an experience with them?

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were these the current production or more vintage ones?

Current production,Vintage will be 3 to 4 times the price if you can find them.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Were these the current production or more vintage ones?

Double post.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

I will only have the stock Chineses 300b's

What would be the best upgrade? Use the tubes I have and leave the 300b upgrade until later?

First of all, you have excellent tubes to begin with. From my experience with the Woo 5 and IMO, it's not really necesarry to ugrade with a higher quality 300B tube. The Chinese 300B tube sounds great in the amp as long as you are using those other vintage 6sn7 and 5u4g tubes.

But if you do end up getting a higher quality 300B, it will clean up the sound a little bit more. But the stock Chinese 300B tube is no slouch and sounds great IMO. It's a bargain actually. I'm thinking that there is no bad 300B tube out there since the 300B design is pretty good anyway even if it's a stock Chinese brand.

That being said, I was not really impressed with the stock Russian 6SN7 and 5U4G tube that came with the amp but it's not too bad though. Chinese 300Bs are good IMO.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 70
Good point - the Russian 6SN7 is especially bad, and you can get very nice 6SN7 types for not that much money. Same with the 5U4G - nice NOS/US-made varieties are easy to get and not that expensive, especially in the context of what 300B's cost.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like others, I would give the highest recomendation to the Western Electrics. I did get a chance to listen to the Treasure 300B's from Jack Shuguang Treasure 300B-Z. They are worth the price, but I didn't like them as well as the WE's. They added an edge to the notes that I didn't really like, not really a harshness, but an edge. And the bass was not as deep, rich, warm as the WE's.

How does the treasure compare to the Sophia princess?

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

How does the treasure compare to the Sophia princess?

I don't know Rob... That is one that I have not heard yet. I have the WE 300B, and I was able to roll the Sophia 274B and the Treasure 300B-Z... but I did not get a chance to roll any Sophia 300B's at this time. I don't know if Jack had any at the show. Would still like to hear a pair at some point.

Cheers,

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said, I was not really impressed with the stock Russian 6SN7 and 5U4G tube that came with the amp but it's not too bad though. Chinese 300Bs are good IMO.

The Chinese Full Music 300B (Mesh or Carbon Plate) are very good value - probably the best 300B from China.

I have tried quite a few 300Bs with my WA5 and personally I liked the AVVT C37 glass 300B most. It is so rare these days that I only reserve it for serious listening. Down the list are my KR 300B (Globe) which in my opinion is the best current production 300Bs. By the way the KR300B Globe is slightly better than the WE Clone (yes, I have both). Then come the current production WE300B. The Sophia Princess 300B is pretty good too and very affordable. I have a new pair of Emission Labs 300B but didn't have the time to try it out.

And I must agree that 300B tube rolling is an expensive exercise, and not really necessary as long as you settle for one reasonable pair.

F. Lo

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I must agree that 300B tube rolling is an expensive exercise, and not really necessary as long as you settle for one reasonable pair.

F. Lo

Yeah I agree. The 300B tube is a very nice tube. Does it have to be insanely expensive? No. IMO you do not have to buy the insanely expensive Western Electric 300b tube. A cheaper brand is very good.

300B amps are cool and expensive and it is too expensive to mess around with 300B shopping. So buy a cheaper 300B tube or stick with the stock. I like the stock Chinese brand alot.

That being said, I bought a pair of Western Electric 300 tubes since they are cool and a part of history. It's still a great tube though.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

How does the treasure compare to the WE300B?

from earlier post:

"Like others, I would give the highest recomendation to the Western Electrics. I did get a chance to listen to the Treasure 300B's from Jack Shuguang Treasure 300B-Z. They are worth the price, but I didn't like them as well as the WE's. They added an edge to the notes that I didn't really like, not really a harshness, but an edge. And the bass was not as deep, rich, warm as the WE's."

After listening to the Treasure's, Jack asked me what I would pay.. I said about $600... which turned out to be the price... So I guess they sound about the price for me... It is tough to pay $800+ for the WE but they are the top 300B's that I have heard. But then again it is tough to pay $600 for a pair as well....
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally I liked the AVVT C37 glass 300B most. It is so rare these days that I only reserve it for serious listening.

It's a real shame about AVVT and how rare their tubes are becoming. I have a quad of AVVT AV32B (rugged 300B) that I will likely want to be buried with...

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 70
those avvt 32b are going for around $600 for a matched pair right now...
i don't expect them to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back