Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's here!

004-7.jpg

005-7.jpg

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 70
nice have fun.....

Cheers,

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #36 of 70
My unit has hum/noise pots for the 300b's (circled in red).

0021.jpg

As seen from above

003-9.jpg

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 70
Congrats, the more I think about it. I am going to stick with the stock tubes for now. I have just dumped so much into this hobby recently without realizing that I am already happy without even receiving the WA5 yet. lol

The only thing I want, is a *little* more body to the sound. But besides that, I have to train myself to stop spending money just to spend money! This place is the damn devil!

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, the more I think about it. I am going to stick with the stock tubes for now. I have just dumped so much into this hobby recently without realizing that I am already happy without even receiving the WA5 yet. lol

The only thing I want, is a *little* more body to the sound. But besides that, I have to train myself to stop spending money just to spend money! This place is the damn devil!

From my experience with this amp, you do not need to really spend a lot of money for tubes for great sound IMO. If you are patient, you can find some excellent sounding vintage 6sn7 tubes for around $25 a piece and the similar price range for a very nice 5u4g tube. In fact, I have purchased a pair 1950's General Electric 5u4gs for around $4.25! Yes, a pair. And they sound great IMO.

One time on ebay, I saw a pair of NOS 1950's Dumont label 5u4g (Tung Sol rebranded) go for $11. Killer deal.

It is possible to get awesome tubes for the price of a modest dinner or lunch for the Woo 5. You just have to be patient. (and the hunt for great bargains is part of the tube amp hobby)

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #40 of 70
Hi Spareribs: I am curious about your 6sn7 statement. What kind of tubes would you consider an excellent sounding vintage 6sn7 tube?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience with this amp, you do not need to really spend a lot of money for tubes for great sound IMO. If you are patient, you can find some excellent sounding vintage 6sn7 tubes for around $25 a piece and the similar price range for a very nice 5u4g tube. In fact, I have purchased a pair 1950's General Electric 5u4gs for around $4.25! Yes, a pair. And they sound great IMO.

One time on ebay, I saw a pair of NOS 1950's Dumont label 5u4g (Tung Sol rebranded) go for $11. Killer deal.

It is possible to get awesome tubes for the price of a modest dinner or lunch for the Woo 5. You just have to be patient. (and the hunt for great bargains is part of the tube amp hobby)

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 70
The 6sn7 tubes that I like alot are the Raytheon, GE and Sylvanias.

I also have a Crosley tube which is a Sylvania rebranded and I love that one as well too.

To my ears the Raytheons have a nice balance of warmth and clarity. Sylvania tubes are great all rounders and the GE tube that I have which is a 1950's stock has a great tone that I like alot.

I also use the 1952 Sylvanias known as "Bad Boys" and they are great too but costs more but sometimes you can find decent deals. This is probably my favorite 6SN7 tube or at least I love it on most days. (The 1952 bad boys have 3 holes instead of the usual 2 holes and the print on the base is green)

I like RCA 6sn7 but not as much as the other brands that I mentioned. Of course, these are just my opinions.

I haven't tried the expensive Tung Sol round plates but since they are so expensive, I'm not sure if I will buy a set since I'm pretty satisfied with my tubes.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #42 of 70
Got a pair of the black bottle treasure 300B.Apparantely needs upto 300hr burn it.

Straight out of the box -very smooth,not quite as detailed as stock,soundstage a little smaller

Hopefully burn in will improve soundstage and detail

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #43 of 70
Cool, let us know how they do in the long run.....

cheers,

(oh yeah... and Pictures please)

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #44 of 70
Thanks for the response. I do like the sound of the Sylvanias. Hopefully I will come across a reasonably priced "bad boy" someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6sn7 tubes that I like alot are the Raytheon, GE and Sylvanias.

I also have a Crosley tube which is a Sylvania rebranded and I love that one as well too.

To my ears the Raytheons have a nice balance of warmth and clarity. Sylvania tubes are great all rounders and the GE tube that I have which is a 1950's stock has a great tone that I like alot.

I also use the 1952 Sylvanias known as "Bad Boys" and they are great too but costs more but sometimes you can find decent deals. This is probably my favorite 6SN7 tube or at least I love it on most days. (The 1952 bad boys have 3 holes instead of the usual 2 holes and the print on the base is green)

I like RCA 6sn7 but not as much as the other brands that I mentioned. Of course, these are just my opinions.

I haven't tried the expensive Tung Sol round plates but since they are so expensive, I'm not sure if I will buy a set since I'm pretty satisfied with my tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back