WA22 vs. DNA Sonnett
Nov 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tosehee

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone compared or listened to both of these units and have impressions to share?

Both in balanced configuration, driving HD800 Balanced.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 20
I am going nuts deciding between this two... arggggg

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 20
The Woo 22 is just sublime with the HD800s and while the DNA is a very good amp it is not on par with the Woo. Both are great manufactures that strive for great build quality and provide above average customer service.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for your input. Still debating, but I am starting to form my decisions.

Thanks again.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 20
I have not listened to the WA22, but the Sonett is one of the finest amps I've listened to with the HD-800. I listened to one again today (
smily_headphones1.gif
) and had the pleasure of hanging out with Donald and a lot of other great Head-Fi'ers. Perhaps the WA22 is excellent, but I don't think you could go wrong with the Sonett. Aside from the Sonett's sound, I particularly like its build quality, choice of power supply and use of the exceptional (and affordable) 6H30. The 6H30 is excellent for preamps and headphone amps, but seems somewhat neglected by manufacturers. It is very much worth considering.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 20
What do you think about Sonett when compared with your Zana Deux? I am only interested the synergy with HD800s. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6H30 is excellent for preamps and headphone amps, but seems somewhat neglected by manufacturers. It is very much worth considering.

Agreed and seconded!
wink.gif
It's probably about time I re-built my 6H30 amp "breadboarded" on a Wii Fit box into a chassis, as I seem to be using it day-in, day-out to the exclusion of all else. What started out as a project to isolate the individual sound of the 6H30, (having only used it as a driver before), has led to a superb sounding headphone amplifier. And from a DIY perspective, great results can be obtained relatively cheaply with the Hammond 119's or for more $$$'s, the Sowter 8665's. You don't need to push the boat out with the MQ (Peerless) TL-404's. Anyway, I'd like to hear the Sonnett. Sorry, for taking the thread off topic.
wink.gif

6H30_2.jpg

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed and seconded!
wink.gif
It's probably about time I re-built my 6H30 amp "breadboarded" on a Wii Fit box into a chassis, as I seem to be using it day-in, day-out to the exclusion of all else. What started out as a project to isolate the individual sound of the 6H30, (having only used it as a driver before), has led to a superb sounding headphone amplifier. And from a DIY perspective, great results can be obtained relatively cheaply with the Hammond 119's or for more $$$'s, the Sowter 8665's. You don't need to push the boat out with the MQ (Peerless) TL-404's. Anyway, I'd like to hear the Sonnett. Sorry, for taking the thread off topic.
wink.gif

6H30_2.jpg

Get thee to a chassis, or at least a breadboard!
bigsmile_face.gif
I remember days like these!

The Sonett is a superb sounding amp, with lots of tweaking options.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not listened to the WA22, but the Sonett is one of the finest amps I've listened to with the HD-800. I listened to one again today (
smily_headphones1.gif
) and had the pleasure of hanging out with Donald and a lot of other great Head-Fi'ers. Perhaps the WA22 is excellent, but I don't think you could go wrong with the Sonett. Aside from the Sonett's sound, I particularly like its build quality, choice of power supply and use of the exceptional (and affordable) 6H30. The 6H30 is excellent for preamps and headphone amps, but seems somewhat neglected by manufacturers. It is very much worth considering.

X2. The build of the Sonett is excellent--as is its SQ--and is great platform for upgrades to further improve its sonic character, if you like to tweak. Or, just play with a a couple of NOS options. Even the stock Sovtek is pretty darn good!

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 20
It looks like you purchased a WA22 from your signature. How do you like it with the balanced HD800's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back