WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Mar 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #361 of 833
These adaptors r the same with glenn's solds? A little cheaper than him. Any quality differences? http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-NEW-Tube-ada...item439d6b412c
And seamaster, u suggested 5z3 for rectifier on some page. My sophia died, i want to buy another rectifier tube. Whick u suggest? If 5zes r good, which one u suggest?

::: I forgot to write the link
frown.gif
)

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #362 of 833
EML is better than most NOS except a few. And there are always a chance that you might land on some poor one.

If u got a fund, EML is one nice rectifier to get.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #364 of 833
I don't have any buzz or hum, but then I also don't use 6f8g.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #365 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by yilmaz196 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These adaptors r the same with glenn's solds? A little cheaper than him. Any quality differences? TWO NEW Tube adaptor 6F8G to 6SN7 free shipping world - eBay (item 290403860780 end time Mar-19-10 09:39:20 PDT)
And seamaster, u suggested 5z3 for rectifier on some page. My sophia died, i want to buy another rectifier tube. Whick u suggest? If 5zes r good, which one u suggest?

::: I forgot to write the link
frown.gif
)

No these are not same as Glenn made, just look at those skinny wires. When come to adapters, you want quality instead price. For "cheap" rectifier, 5Z3 type is one the best for money (With adapter). Especically UK made Mullard 5Z3. 5Z3 adapter also could let you use 274A type tube.

tosehee is right about EML. I have Sophia too, it buzz like crazy with 6F8G tubes, but silent with other type. Maybe the design of Sophia have problem with the grid wires of 6F8Gs.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #367 of 833
After balancing my HE-5s I can report that while the quality of bass has increased, its quantity and impact have decreased. I've been going through all my tubes again trying to restore the impact - without much success ...
frown.gif
angry_face.gif

Best combo so far are 5998 + Tung-Sol GT.

Saving up for an EML rectifier - although I'm not sure how much added impact it will provide....

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #368 of 833
Seamaster. I thought I read somewhere (I can't find it now) that you are using a test CD to help burn in your WA22 mod. If you did use a CD what is it? Is the T1 settling in too?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #370 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is using the isotek cd.
MUSICDIRECT - ISOTEK - Full System Enhancer Burn-In CD

Thanks, KingStyles--I just went to the site and read about it. I was unaware that sound had demagnetizing capabilities. Interesting.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #371 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is using the isotek cd.
MUSICDIRECT - ISOTEK - Full System Enhancer Burn-In CD

Thanks Kingstyles. Yes, Isotek is best for burn-in headphone and speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yilmaz196 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eml buzzing with 6f8g?

So far, I don't heave any buzz or noise with EML pair with any driver/power tubes. Don't ask why, they are just silent.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #372 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Kingstyles. Yes, Isotek is best for burn-in headphone and speakers.

If your speakers and headphones are already burned in, is the recording good for just burning in new caps as well?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #373 of 833
I just had an interesting conversation with a tube amp designer. Looking at the pictures of the WA22 internals he commented that the WA22 is optimized for the 6AS7 and is severely underbiased for the 5998/7236. Which sort of matches my observations after switching to 5998 - the sound got "flatter" and lost that magic feeling. I decided to do some research and found similar commentary here:

Griffon 6AS7G

Quote:

The most noticeable valves I'm using are Svetlana 6AS7Gs for both the power output double-triodes and the regulated power supply. I'm choosing them for both quality and looks, but I'm initially going to use my amps with my old Brimar 6080 pulls. The 6080 is a rugged version of the 6AS7G, looking very much like a 6550. They're both common types, usually cheap as they're not considered "premium" audio ones like 2A3s or 6L6GCs, and are plentiful as both NOS and current manufacture. You could spend heavily on Tung-Sol 6AS7GAs, or similar types like the 5998 - which has twice the gain - or the impressive Western Electric 421A (note that you'd need different cathode bias resistors for these!), but I'm working with what I've got.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #375 of 833
The 5998 is *not* a direct equivalent to the 6AS7. It isn't "dangerous" to use it, since it actually draws just slightly less heater current. But it does have twice the transconductance of a 6AS7, among other differences. So for sure it will not be perfect in all amps that use 6AS7's. I don't know much about the WA22, but as far as the tubes go, the 5998 and 6AS7 certainly differ enough that there will be significant sonic differences. Might be for the better - or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back