Wa2 or DNA Sonnet
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Gags72

New Head-Fier
I have Senn 650 and love them.

I want a tube amp that plugs me into the emotion and is full and lush without being too thick sounding. I like my vocals to be moreish.

It is hard to pick an amp from reviews alone so I would ask anyone who has heard the 650 with either, or ideally both, of these amps to lend a hand and tell me of there findings.

Not that i dont like the look of the Sonnet but WA2 is the preference for aesthetics but sound is of course more important
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

I am very interested in the balanced out option on the Sonnet.
People talk so much about balanced fro the 650, is it a good thing despite not having a balanced in?

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 41
Haven't heard either of them, but HD650s are the headphones that benefit the most from Balanced drive! So with that in mind I'd definitely recommend the DNA Sonnet, which has gotten some extremely good reviews on head-fi.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 41
Yes those upgrades are a big worry.
It seems to play with your head, a great looking amp for grand which probably sounds great but you will always be wanting, wanting, wanting! How annoying.

With the balanced out of the Sonnet is it truely balnced?

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 41
My friend has just returned from North America and he said that he listened to a Sonnet while there and really enjoyed it. He said not as good as his EAR HP4 but very close, which considering the cost difference is praise indeed.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes those upgrades are a big worry.
It seems to play with your head, a great looking amp for grand which probably sounds great but you will always be wanting, wanting, wanting! How annoying.

With the balanced out of the Sonnet is it truely balnced?

I think you need to hear them all, a WA2 stock, WA2 maxed, and a sonett to really able to find out the differences of each amp. Oh BTW the WA2 is not balanced, i think you are refering to the WA22.

Here is some info i found at the DNA's website about sonett. I don't know much of that is true, hope someone with better knowledge than me can chime in because i am also interested in that.

Quote:

Some comments about balanced headphone drive

I am frequently asked why the balanced output version does not include balanced inputs. This is because balanced inputs are not necessary to provide balanced headphone drive. Being a single ended amplifier, all it needs for input is a single ended (unbalanced) signal. The Sonett operates single ended triode with transformer loading the plate of the 6H30 amplification tube. The secondary windings on the output transformers are center tapped (and grounded for safety), thereby providing a true, differential, balanced output. Thus, you get balanced drive without the complexity from additional balanced input circuitry or input transformers. Again, the simpler - the better.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 41
I would love to hear the amps but it is not possible unless I buy them!

I have just spoken to Don from DNAudio, what a nice bloke and generous with his time.

THis amp sounds like a winner but one small thing is that he says this is not a lush amp, I have always thought that I was assured of sweetness and emotion more with a lush amp.
Jack from Woo describes his WA2 as warm and lush.
Loving what people say about the Sonett and knowing it is a different beast altogether to the WA2 is just confusing me more.

Argh!

I think someone who has heard both would be a handy addition to this thread right about now!

And while we are at it, just to confuse even more, should I still be thinking of the Little Dot MKVIIISE???????????

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend has just returned from North America and he said that he listened to a Sonnet while there and really enjoyed it. He said not as good as his EAR HP4 but very close, which considering the cost difference is praise indeed.

I have just googled the EAR HP4, that thing is 3500 pounds sterling!!??

Wow, perhaps I should take note of this........

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just googled the EAR HP4, that thing is 3500 pounds sterling!!??

Wow, perhaps I should take note of this........

For a long time the HP4 was about £2500 new, and that was over-priced. Now they are just cashing-in on the boom in headphone sales. They've not changed anything inside as far as I know, and it's really not a £3500 amp even though that is what they are charging.

When I bought mine, which was pristine and performs very nicely, I paid £1200 (about $1800) second hand and that seemed a fair price at the time.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 41
Hi Lenny

So you think I should take the comparison with a pinch of salt, probably good advice.

I do find I am going around in circles though, ultimately it seems a choice has to be made without listening.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, I prefer the DNA. Like I mentioned before, it's sound is close to the SP extreme. tubey, but not too lush.

I see you have a little dot VI, how does it fit into this whole thing?
Any comparisons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back