W11jpn & L3000, redundant to own both?
Oct 30, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 24
ATH-DHA3000.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, the L3000 is the technically better headphone, but it's not guaranteed you'll like the L3000's signature coming from the W11JPN. I'd agree with xenithon in that the L3000 is more accurate and correct.

Glad to see you still like your L3000
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Ben, is the W11jpn much more upfront than the L3000?
confused.gif

Yes it is indeed. The L3000 isn't as pronounced in the 2-3 KHz area which makes voices, the plucking of strings, the crunch of distorted guitars and snare drums stand out more prominently on the W11JPN. This trait can make the W11JPN sound a little annoying and peaky at times, especially with non-relaxed music.
The L3000 is, to my ears, even more laid-back than the new HD650. The thing is, I've come to realize that one of the best words to describe the L3000 is: unspectacular. The W11JPN takes another approach here, it doesn't even try to be unspectacular
wink.gif

I cannot exactly compare L3000 and W11JPN in more detail right now since a very good friend of mine has them on loan at the moment.

Quote:

Me like energetic and lively, but not at the Grado level, nor do I like the extreme Senn laid backnessl, hence me *heart* Audio Technica.

Well, actually this screams AD2000, but you've heard them already. At least, that's what your sig suggests. What exactly didn't you like about them?
How about the W1000 with the pad mod? W2002 even?
tongue.gif

Quote:

And yes, I noticed the slight upper midrange spike too. From what you wrote, seems like the L3000 is the cure. Oh, and since when did you manage to get your grubby hands on an W11jpn?
tongue.gif

You really should re-read my posting on the first page
tongue.gif
The chance just occurred and I took it. The last AT that really sparked my interest is finally here. And sadly it's not exactly what I had expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for someone that has experience with both w10 and w11, would you mind going into detail in comparing the two? which one would you say has more groove?

I shall do so at the weekend and report back here
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Well, I just found out that the person whom I was gonna buy the L3000 from just sold it off recently, so change of plans. Scratch the L3000 off the list.
frown.gif

Looks like I'm gonna be going for #2 on my list then... an O2mk1.
normal_smile .gif

Are you sure you know what you're doing? I mean, the O2 MKII is a technically amazing headphone and all (and the O2MKI probably is, too), but it's no substitute for the L3000. Totally different sound and, guess what, I preferred the L3000, despite its technical inferiority. And even that's a matter of definition - because I think much of what the O2 did could be attributed to its rather unusual signature. I'm sure you remember me going into detail on this, so I'm not gonna repeat it all here
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

for someone that has experience with both w10 and w11, would you mind going into detail in comparing the two? which one would you say has more groove?

Having spent time with both the W10vtg and the W11jpn, I'll try to offer some comparisons:

Speed: The W10vtgs are a bit faster and perhaps more natural sounding in this regard. But, the W11jpns have the uncanny effect of sustaining notes longer, allowing the listener to bathe in the beauty of their luscious midrange. This affect can be simply gorgeous, decadent, mesmerizing. However, it really only benefits certain types of music (slower acoustic vocals, electronica, trance, ballads, etc). For me, this is one of the W11jpns strongest virtues. The Groove Factor? On slower to mid- tempo music, I'd pick the 11's. On upbeat, you may prefer the 10's.

Midrange Prominence: The W10vtgs have more of the AT house spike than the W11jpns. Hence, the 10's are a bit livelier and more aggressive. The 11's are more balanced, but not as flat and laid-back as the L3000's.

Midrange Tonality: The 11's are richer, darker and more intoxicating, but never dull or lifeless. They are also a bit more detailed, in a textural, harmonic sense. The W11jpns are mostly about midrange beauty - big, upfront, almost in your face, beauty. The 10's share this characteristic, but their tonality is a wee bit cooler.

Bass: Extension and tightness are very similar. However, the 11's have more heft.

Highs: Again, Extension is similar. Both are fairly sweet and non-fatiguing in this range.

Comfort: Very similar, but the softer pads for the 11's are a bit nicer.

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 24
decay's not my thing as i think it just gets in the way of the rhythm. it can sound neat though, especially on percussion pronounced best by sony r10. overall i'm digging the w10's but the midrange doesn't make me happy. it seems lean as you say the 11's are richer/have that magic. i've been spoiled by rs1 and i guess nothing sounds right to me anymore.

more heft than what w10 already has would irritate the crap out of me, lol. from your comparison i'd like to have the 11 mids on the w10.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

decay's not my thing as i think it just gets in the way of the rhythm. it can sound neat though, especially on percussion pronounced best by sony r10. overall i'm digging the w10's but the midrange doesn't make me happy. it seems lean as you say the 11's are richer/have that magic. i've been spoiled by rs1 and i guess nothing sounds right to me anymore.

more heft than what w10 already has would irritate the crap out of me, lol. from your comparison i'd like to have the 11 mids on the w10.

I guess that's why it makes sense to have more than one pair of phones on hand. Actually, I think a good all around phone that has beautiful mids and decent speed is a properly modded Denon D5000. I've found the presentation to be a bit like the RS-1, but less fatiguing in the highs, over the long haul.

It might be possible to switch out the W11 drivers with a W10 shell, with W10 pads???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back