W11jpn & L3000, redundant to own both?
Oct 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wrecked_porsche

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, any of you own both? Or have you heard them side by side in a good setup? I currently have the W11jpn, and I am 100% sure of owning the L3000 in the near future (couple of months time). The thing is, I kinda have my eyes on something right now and I was wondering if I should sell the W11jpn to finance that purchase since I'm gonna need some quick $.

To rephrase, is the L3000 different enough from the W11jpn to justify owning them both? Any of you miss owning the W11jpn after getting a pair of L3000?
I'm generally happy with the W11jpn, but it could use a tad more punch and speed in the bass dept. and a little more detail won't hurt either. As noted below, this is probably an amp issue.

Reasons why I'm 50-50 on this and can't make up my mind:
-My amps are less than stellar(iBasso D1 and microshar u107), would love to hear the W11jpn in a good setup
-PITA to track a W11jpn down again once I let mine go...
confused_face.gif

-Sometimes I enjoy my ES7 more than the W11jpn, the ES7 is livelier and punchier.
-I'm working on getting the headphones that I want first, then I'll address the issue of getting proper amps, so... :angel:

Its 6am here, so I apologize in advance if my post is not coherent. I'll clarify anything that needs clarifying once I get some sleep. Thanks in advance for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 24
Yup.
tongue.gif

But the plan is to hoard all the OOP headphones that I want first, then get the amps after that.
wink.gif

But seriously though, in a proper setup, are the two vastly different or does the L3000 take everything that the W11jpn has to offer and improves on its weakness making the w11jpn redundant?
In other words, once I get the L3000 properly amped, will I be missing out by not having the W11jpn around?
confused.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm interested in the answer to this as well, but from a different perspective. I already have a pair of W11jpns, and have fantasized about the L3000s more times than I probably should. Every time I get the urge to try to upgrade, though, the cost of the L3000s is enough to give me pause, and ultimately to reject the idea.

I know the W11jpns are usually described as having a sound that is very similar to the L3000s. I'd like to know how much more performance the L3000 delivers under ideal conditions. If the two are pretty close, I can put my quest for the L3000 on indefinite hold. If the L3000 is a very significant step above the W11jpn, then I might have to start saving my pennies.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 24
I do own an L3000 and I MIGHT be getting the chance of obtaining a W11JPN soon. It all depends on whether a fellow friend of mine likes his new toy or not. Chances are that he's gonna sell it in favor of being able to try other headphones with the change
tongue.gif

All I can say here is that the L3000 is not without flaws. There are times when I don't really perceive it as quick, but rather as slow, it's also not the most detailed - or I should rather say - detail-oriented headphone around.
It is however very musical and absolutely excells with jazz and acoustic music. For Rock and Metal I mostly prefer the AD2000, it's just livelier, quicker and more energetic.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 24
I have heard both. Each is unique in its own way. The L3000 is the far more accurate or correct headphone. The W11JPN, however, could draw my emotions far more - it is coloured, warm, more euphonic, less detailed....but oh so special. I'd dare to say that I would prefer to own the W11JPN over the L3000.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard both. Each is unique in its own way. The L3000 is the far more accurate or correct headphone. The W11JPN, however, could draw my emotions far more - it is coloured, warm, more euphonic, less detailed....but oh so special. I'd dare to say that I would prefer to own the W11JPN over the L3000.

Agree that the W11JPNS are quite unique. I'd venture to say that they offer more emotional richness and warmth in the midrange than any other high end phone, while still retaining a remarkably good balance of other sonic traits.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 24
double post, sorry

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 24
*points at signature*
biggrin.gif

Now that I own the W11JPN, I can bring some more real first hand information to the table. Imo, W11JPN and L3000 aren't as strikingly similar as I though, sorry to disappoint you
wink.gif

The W11JPN is surprisingly pretty similar to the W10VTG, especially because of its midrange spike at 2-3 KHz. Bass isn't as strong as I had expected, it's certainly less in quantity than with the L3000. I think the L3000's bass extends a little deeper, at the moment I feel there's a little rolloff with the W11JPN. The W11 is much more forward than the L3000, even though they share similar soundstage characteristics. Both soundstages aren't very wide but rather deep.
Overall, the L3000 is the technically better headphone, but it's not guaranteed you'll like the L3000's signature coming from the W11JPN. I'd agree with xenithon in that the L3000 is more accurate and correct.

So, to answer the original question: it's not necessarily redundant to own both. I can see a place for both headphones in peaceful coexistence, even though I'd use them for the same genres and I'd rather not use either of them for some other genres as well
wink.gif
But that's not to say you wouldn't like either for just about every genre, this is just my preference.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One is leather, other is wood. Isn't that enough to keep both?
wink.gif

For most of us anyway
wink.gif
Still, I've developed a tendency to sell off redundant gear even if it's pretty and rare. Okay, my definition of "redundant" isn't exactly strict, it's just that the headphones I'm reaching for frequently will stay, the others won't. That's what the W10VTG had to go and maybe why the W11JPN (being rather similar to its older brother) might be leaving soon, too. Before anyone jumps at me yelling: "PLEEEEEEAAAASE, me want!": I already have a buyer. In fact, it's the same person who sold it to me in the first place. Sellers remorse
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, I've developed a tendency to sell off redundant gear even if it's pretty and rare.

That's how I roll too. If I feel its redundant, it has to go.

Quote:

the W11JPN (being rather similar to its older brother) might be leaving soon, too.

I will get the L3000 in the future, W11jpn has left the house....

Quote:

In fact, it's the same person who sold it to me in the first place. Sellers remorse
smily_headphones1.gif

Sheeeett... damn you guys, the more I read this thread, the more I'm missing my W11jpn...
frown.gif

@Ben, is the W11jpn much more upfront than the L3000?
confused.gif

Me like energetic and lively, but not at the Grado level, nor do I like the extreme Senn laid backnessl, hence me *heart* Audio Technica. And yes, I noticed the slight upper midrange spike too. From what you wrote, seems like the L3000 is the cure. Oh, and since when did you manage to get your grubby hands on an W11jpn?
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 24
well I'm not robbing banks but I AM getting an O2 mk1 by christmas
and I already have my vinyl setup done (look at sig)

717 + O2 mk1 combo is next
wink.gif

after that, I'll go dynamic route:

balanced B22 - HD650/L3000/RS1/AD2000.

That should be good until I want K1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back