W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Dec 21, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #3,888 of 3,914

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,889 of 3,914
So is it a rule that we can only like backpacker and old-school here or is it cool if we like other stuff as well?

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #3,892 of 3,914

Sounds like a question for the OP...

If you don't like what's been posted lately, why don't you post something else instead of having a pop?

Oh I'm a fan of what's been posted, just making sure everyone isn't gonna throw a **** fit if I admit I like Gucci's Everybody Looking right alongside Impossible Kid because "bawww it's not real hip hop." The tantrum everyone threw over on SABF when I tried throwing some trap/drill into the mix was enough to make me leave the board completely. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #3,893 of 3,914
  Oh I'm a fan of what's been posted, just making sure everyone isn't gonna throw a **** fit if I admit I like Gucci's Everybody Looking right alongside Impossible Kid because "bawww it's not real hip hop." The tantrum everyone threw over on SABF when I tried throwing some trap/drill into the mix was enough to make me leave the board completely. 
rolleyes.gif

Gonna show my ignorance here but outside of the Southern American Business Forum I dunno what SABF is! Seriously though, I can't imagine tantrums and flaming going on here - I'm still relatively new to this thread myself, but it doesn't seem like that kind of crowd. Anyway, just post what you like, that's my philosophy. Maybe others will dig it, maybe not - if not, oh well.
biggrin.gif
 As for 'real hip hop'...

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3,895 of 3,914
Tech's definitely got one of the craziest flows out there, just a shame he never managed to really turn it into anything beyond kind of a novelty. He's a great example of amazing execution but not having much behind it. Most of the Strange Music lineup is like that, come to think of it (Snow tha Product, Rittz).

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,896 of 3,914
  Tech's definitely got one of the craziest flows out there, just a shame he never managed to really turn it into anything beyond kind of a novelty. He's a great example of amazing execution but not having much behind it. Most of the Strange Music lineup is like that, come to think of it (Snow tha Product, Rittz).

Yeah, that kind of music usually contains too much lyrics and too complex of rhyme schemes for the mainstream to like it, that's why I think...

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,897 of 3,914
  Yeah, that kind of music usually contains too much lyrics and too complex of rhyme schemes for the mainstream to like it, that's why I think...

It's not JUST that, I think it's because Tech does kind of... autopilot flow, y'know? Like, it sounds AMAZING if you just haze out to it, but if you pause and listen to what the dude's actually saying there's not a lot there. Keep in mind I'm a big fan of his, been listening since the old "Absolute Power" days, but I can't really think of any songs with lines that hit especially hard. 

It's why latter-day Eminem sucks. He's infinitely more intricate and complex than in his old SSLP/MMLP days, but the substance is totally gone. Kinda what killed Bone Thugs as well (and I think E1999 Eternal is a GOAT album contender), once the dazzle of the flow and speed faded off it's hard to go back and think of anything truly impactful of memorable in their songs.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,898 of 3,914
He's infinitely more intricate and complex than in his old SSLP/MMLP days, but the substance is totally gone.

That's a good point. The passion and anger isn't burning like it used to, you could say. And the subject matter isn't always deep...but hey, that could be said about the vast majority of rap. I still think some of his newer songs are among his best material.

Here are a few recent tracks not on his studio albums that some may not know.

This one's on the Southpaw soundtrack. The action movie-style music video reminds me of Oldboy. haha

And these two are on the SHADYXV compilation. (The last isn't Eminem, but sharing it too 'cause I like it.)

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3,899 of 3,914
  It's not JUST that, I think it's because Tech does kind of... autopilot flow, y'know? Like, it sounds AMAZING if you just haze out to it, but if you pause and listen to what the dude's actually saying there's not a lot there. Keep in mind I'm a big fan of his, been listening since the old "Absolute Power" days, but I can't really think of any songs with lines that hit especially hard. 

It's why latter-day Eminem sucks. He's infinitely more intricate and complex than in his old SSLP/MMLP days, but the substance is totally gone. Kinda what killed Bone Thugs as well (and I think E1999 Eternal is a GOAT album contender), once the dazzle of the flow and speed faded off it's hard to go back and think of anything truly impactful of memorable in their songs.

Well, 99% of the mainstream rap has A LOT worse lyrics AND flow than artists such as BTNH, Tech N9ne etc.

If people wanted to hear great lyrics, why aren't rappers like K-Rino and Immortal Technique dominating the mainstream?

Instead, we get 0% lyrically and flowless talented people like Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne and Drake on the radio.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,900 of 3,914
  Well, 99% of the mainstream rap has A LOT worse lyrics AND flow than artists such as BTNH, Tech N9ne etc.

If people wanted to hear great lyrics, why aren't rappers like K-Rino and Immortal Technique dominating the mainstream?

Instead, we get 0% lyrically and flowless talented people like Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne and Drake on the radio.

Posts like this are from people who have zero genuine respect for the game LMAO.

And IT is overrated as hell. Dance with the Devil is one of the dumbest songs I've ever heard. 

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. We could be in here talking about hip hop of all stripes, from Wop to Aes and Weezy to Eyedea, but dopes like you think you're so much smarter than the "mainstream" that you'll **** all over dudes like Wayne even while some of the undisputed greats of hip hop lyricism (and don't even try to tell me Kweli ain't a legend) will sing his praises.

Sorry I popped in to break the backpacker bubble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back