VZR Model One
May 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #46 of 428
Another thought is that they handle volume changes very different than other headphones. They seem to retain the full image at all volumes, almost like there’s a fletcher munson curve built in. They really come alive when you turn them up while sounding excellent with low volumes.

Try to find the right volume settings where the music sounds like you are in the room with musician. They’ll probably scare you at first by thinking it’s too loud but that’s just their weird speaker like rendering.

May 25, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #47 of 428
ok so i hadnt really thought about it being too much power so i turned the gain from high to low and it is a notable improvement. it might just be this DAC/AMP after all. turning off bass boost is an additional improvement to vocals but bass is lowered.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #48 of 428
ok so i hadnt really thought about it being too much power so i turned the gain from high to low and it is a notable improvement. it might just be this DAC/AMP after all. turning off bass boost is an additional improvement to vocals but bass is lowered.
Awesome 👏 keep us posted as they settle in. I think the bass is immaculately tuned as is. Once you get used to it without the boost, it’s quite the marvel.

May 27, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #49 of 428
Part of me is tempted to pry off the acoustic lens and see what the driver sounds like without it.

May 31, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #52 of 428
At 14:40 he confirms what I was saying about vocals. He says they take a step back from the rest of the sound and I agree that's what it sounds like to me. I have been using them a lot more lately and they have grown on me. The odd thing about the vocals though is some songs the vocals sound great and other times not so much, im almost wondering if its the recording quality because it seems like anything labeled as master on tidal tends to sound good even though I don't have an MQA DAC. Placebo maybe.

I disagree with him saying EDM needs EQ though, I think these shine with EDM in stock form. These still have the most realistic sounding drums I've ever heard out of a headset.

May 31, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #54 of 428
Haha yeah I also disagree with the need to eq for edm. I obviously don’t agree with the mids being recessed but it’s not a 1:1 Harman curve which does sound more forward in the mids.

I showed these to a DJ/producer friend who has over 1million plays per song on his top 5 Spotify tracks & a custom studio with all the sound proofing and Genelic 8431a

His reaction was: “that’s the closest thing to my studio that I’ve ever heard in headphones, really close”

He tested with an unreleased track that he’s been mastering lately

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #57 of 428
I believe they cannot
I can now confirm they can be run balanced and it does actually make a difference. Slightly in sound quality but significantly in volume. Although either of these improvements could be cable quality itself but you get a more comfortable and longer cable out of it also. I used a youkamoo balanced xlr cable from Amazon removed the ends and added a new set of TRS 3.5mm connectors also from Amazon. $38 in total.

Attachments

• 20220604_231033.jpg
    20220604_231033.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #58 of 428
I can now confirm they can be run balanced and it does actually make a difference. Slightly in sound quality but significantly in volume. Although either of these improvements could be cable quality itself but you get a more comfortable and longer cable out of it also. I used a youkamoo balanced xlr cable from Amazon removed the ends and added a new set of TRS 3.5mm connectors also from Amazon. $38 in total.
No kidding

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #59 of 428
Very good!

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #60 of 428
I am very interested in the VZR Model One headphones. By any chance, does anyone here own the Meze Liric’s, or at least did a good and long audition with them, and therefore give a Meze Liric versus VZR Model One?

I’m especially interested in soundstage (more depth and aboves/belows than width), imaging, separation of sounds and which headphone can handle the faster and more complex music with a lot of shifts the best? Also, which of these two will do the best with binaural recordings?

Just a quick note regarding soundstage and width, as an example; I personally perceive the Sennheiser HD 800 S as having too much width.

Hope to hear from all you guys, especially you AlwaysForward, cause I’ve been reading quite a lot of your words about the VZR Model One’s in different threads in here – and I find them very intriguing. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back