VZR Model One
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 428
Curious to hear what you think. I’ve been trying to find comparisons between them and the PC38X and Audeze Penrose but it still seems like not many people have tried them.
I tried them at canjam socal, not sure if they changed it since then. At the price they are asking for it competes with the audeze mobius. I would choose the mobius over it for sure

May 2, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #22 of 428
Ok I finally hooked up my Quidelix via USB-C and started playing lossless files. I honestly think these are the best headphones that I have ever heard, including the LCD (2, 2-4, 4) & Focal (Utopia, Clear) ranges which had been my prior top benchmarks. While this is purely on memory, I hope more audiophiles get the chance to experience these incredible headphones. For $350, I think these are the best deal in hifi on the planet. They win out purely on sound against flagships, IMHO, and then they're just incredibly comfortable and well built as well. I could see a small company easily charging over $1k for these based on SQ alone. Oh yeah, and the fact that you can drive these with just about anything is just icing on the cake. I think these might be the first "perfect 10" headphones I've experienced. I can't find a single point of criticism. They just deliver so much!

May 3, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 428
I was thinking about more ways to describe what I’m hearing:

The details and transient response are like if someone took the best of the focal and lcd qualities of focal’s dynamic physicalities, Audeze’s effortlessly smooth delivery top to bottom and then added something new

The tuning is simply the best reference tuning I have ever heard without DSP. Or with, for that matter.

The new thing might be described as headphones “throw.” It truly is a new experience you’ll need a few minutes to realize just what you’re hearing since it’s not been done with your prior reference experiences. Once you key in though, you might realize these are the last hifi cans you’ll probably want or need.

At the end of the day, the VZR brings me closer to feeling like I’m in the room with the artist than any other headphone.

May 9, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #25 of 428
Interested in this headset, but found this review and got sceptic: https://gamerescape.com/2021/08/30/hardware-review-vzr-model-one-headset/
IMHO being skeptical about this headphone’s performance is natural and good.

Additionally, I think this maybe isn’t a review with a high quality signal because they are not so much into audio in the first place.

When the 6XX launched, many people new to hifi were dissatisfied with the sound at first. Can you imagine if this reviewer had made a review for the 650, how might it read? (Assuming it was efficient enough to run from a PlayStation controller)

I think in addition to this reviewer not being a calibrated listener, I think it’s probably very likely that they didn’t get to test the sound with a quality DAC and lossless files.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 428
May 12, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 428
You got skeptical over an 8 out of 10 review that calls the headset incredible? I would definitely disagree that these are neutral. They have a clear mid-bass boost compared to my other pairs I own right now. They might seem neutral compared to Beats/Skull Candy type stuff the reviewer is probably used to.
I guess you’re the only other head-fi’er with these right now, it’s interesting that we hear the tuning so differently. I hope you don’t mind me asking but could you elaborate on your reference for reference tuning? I certainly see you have a solid headphone gear collection. Do you have experience as a musician in the studio and/or live performance?

I can see how the admittedly massive bass could impact could be perceived as exaggerated in the mid-bass but to my ears, this is probably the best reference tuning I’ve ever heard from a headphone. Going by memory… I still need to go to the local hifi store to compare with the Focal and LCD irl to be sure.

My closest comparison at home right now is the Audeze iSine20 with the Oratory1990 preset, which is a nice reference tuning itself and very resolving.

Anyway, the way Sir Mix A Lot describes moving to a VZR centric workflow for mixing/mastering in his “best money can buy” studio is a compelling data point about their utility as a reference monitor and mirrors my experience/perception of them:

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #28 of 428
You got skeptical over an 8 out of 10 review that calls the headset incredible? I would definitely disagree that these are neutral. They have a clear mid-bass boost compared to my other pairs I own right now. They might seem neutral compared to Beats/Skull Candy type stuff the reviewer is probably used to.
Good point about what you compare it against. It was this mixed information about bass that worried me. That and this line from the review mentioned above: Occasionally, though, I felt like there was something missing when listening to some music, particularly tracks that I usually pin as “emotional.”

May 12, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #29 of 428
Good point about what you compare it against. It was this mixed information about bass that worried me. That and this line from the review mentioned above: Occasionally, though, I felt like there was something missing when listening to some music, particularly tracks that I usually pin as “emotional.”
Yeah most people primarily only know ok-ish headphones and maybe a sound bar, gamers included. They almost certainly don’t have a day/amp.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #30 of 428
Hello everyone. I see that not a lot of people have written about these. I currently own a pair and use these for all my console gaming at home, as well as much video watching at my entertainment desk. I have a gaming dac/amp and buttkicker connected to my monitor with a PS5 and an Amazon firestick. 32in curved monitor at 3ft distance is very immersive. I first listened to the Model One at Canjam and I was trying to decide between it and the Audeze gaming planar. What I noticed immediately while listening/watching a video I played on YouTube from my phone of a COD battle is that unlike the Audeze, it was getting positional cues with the stereo audio from the Model One. The biggest difference I feel with these over other hifi headphones is that these feel made for gaming/video. The overall position feels almost natural va typical stereo headphones. If connected to a gaming DAC that simulates surround sound, it will play even better with these than just about any other headphone, IMO. Iused to love gaming with my lcd-i4 eq'd, because they sound so open, but when I got the model one, the positioning is what was a major step up for me. This has been my experience since day one, and I actually watch more movies at my desk with these and my buttkicker, than I do sitting on my couch with my surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back