Vox player for OSX
Mar 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #31 of 46
Does anybody here use Decibel? I really like it. I have never tried Vox though.

The guy who makes decibel also makes a great ripping program that's free. Curious to know if anyone thinks Vox is better than Decibel.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #37 of 46
So I downloaded vox. The Jan Meier crossfeed is a simulation binaural playback? That seems pretty cool. Does vox have an EQ? Just wondering since it asks if you want the crossfeed to have priority before the EQ. I've never EQ'd headphones, but I might play around a bit if it has one.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #39 of 46

Quote:
So I downloaded vox. The Jan Meier crossfeed is a simulation binaural playback? That seems pretty cool. Does vox have an EQ? Just wondering since it asks if you want the crossfeed to have priority before the EQ. I've never EQ'd headphones, but I might play around a bit if it has one.

Yup and yup. I found I like it implemented after the EQ but ymmv.

Quote:
I cannot seem to add a whole album to my vox playlist. It crashes if I try to add more than one song at a time...

Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure, I'm running OSX 10.7.2 with zero issues. Just tried adding albums to the playlist and yeah no problems whatsoever. You might wanna try emailing the developer or check out his forum. Good luck dude~

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #40 of 46
I downloaded the Vox music player to my iMac today.  I set the Vox player to output at an upsampled rate of 96KHz and set the iMac to output the 96KHz signal through the optical output to an MSB DAC feeding a JDS labs O2 amp feeding VModa M80s.

I've listened to MP3 cuts from Adele's 21, Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra's performance of Mahler's Symphony #6, a few Flac formatted cuts from an HD Tracks purchase, and some MP3 cuts from Mark Knopfler's Shangri-la album.

I've listened to all this music dozens of times.  The sound I'm getting from this setup is the best I've ever heard.  I'm hearing more of the music and not finding a single aspect I'd improve.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean it's the best.  I'm sure there's better.  But for now, I'm quite content.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #41 of 46

Quote:
  Yup and yup. I found I like it implemented after the EQ but ymmv.

I just downloaded it and I can't find the crossfeed, just the EQ. It's not in help or on their web site. Anyone know how to use the crossfeed? That's really the one feature I'm looking for since my new amp/dac won't work with my iPhone or iPad.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #43 of 46
Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to look in preferences. I looked in the menus and VOX help, but I was looking for Crossfeed. Anyway, I tried the BS2B Preset and I do like it. I miss the controls for the Crossfeed in Fidelia, but it sounds very good and the price right. (Fidelia is $70 with FHX) The interface is also much nicer on VOX. A single window with both the library and controls, and I can browse an artist's albums instead of having to scroll through the full list of songs in Fidelia.

This is a very polished app. I'll be playing with it some more and comparing the Crossfeed but I think this is a winner! Is the developer planning to charge at some point?

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #44 of 46
I've been comparing VOX with Fidelia and I think I prefer the extra separation I get with Fidelia. I think VOX with Jan Meier is very good, but it sounds like it moves to close to center -- for my tastes. I've got Fidelia set to 50% at 60° while playing You Really Got A Hold On Me. Try that and listen to the opening guitar. The left sounds more clear with Fidelia. I wonder if the VOX developer might add adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back