Vox player for OSX
Feb 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

MayorSimpleton

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd mention that the latest release candidate has the Bauer crossfeed technology incorporated. It was my favourite OSX player before, now it's perfect.

Here.

I've nothing to do with Vox btw, just thought I'd share the love for those who don't know about it.

N

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd mention that the latest release candidate has the Bauer crossfeed technology incorporated. It was my favourite OSX player before, now it's perfect.

Here.

I've nothing to do with Vox btw, just thought I'd share the love for those who don't know about it.

N

Nice! It's my default player on OS X. Thanks for the notice!

(For ripping on OS X, I use XLD.)

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 46
Nice Player!

I was looking for something to replace itunes on my macbook and this looks like its the one!

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 46
Which Bauer stereo to binaural algorithm is everyone using? I've been playing with the Jan Meier setting, and find it the most natural. The Chu Moy's setting seems more closed in, but a close second. To me the Jan Meier setting provides the closest spacial characteristics to my "bigger rig" (see my member profile).

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 46
Sadly, this lil' player isn't getting the attention it deserves. It's compact, efficient, and uncluttered. I like it that way! It just sits in the background and plays music with nary a hiccup. Kudo's to the developer!

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 46
I will download and give it another try.
Gave it a try many months ago, and did not find it worth keeping. But that may indeed have changed

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 46
I used it for a while but couldn't figure out how to get bit-perfect output. I ended up going to VLC where, if you leave the volume at 100% the output is bit-perfect.

Otherwise I agree: a great, compact music player.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 46
Downloaded this and am giving it a try. I can't find any documentation/manual for it though. I have a lot of questions about it, but have searched and can't find a user group or any type of info really about it, so I'll ask here :wink:

I am really interested in trying the Bauer to binaural algorithms. They don't appear to function in real time so do you have to select the process and then export with effects?

In preferences/audio tab is where you select the algorithm. Does it only take effect if you select an algorithm and then export it with export with effects checked in the export window?

In preferences/audio there is also a choice for resampling but no choice of none. Does it always resample?
or only when you export? If I play a 24bit/96khz file does it get resampled or does it play at the native rate?
THeres also an option for output sample rate and then audio midi setup. I guess what I'm asking is how do I set it up so that no resampling occurs. In some setups I use an outboard dac and don't want to resample before it reaches the dac.

A lot of questions I know but I can't find answers and I have looked. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Karl

EDIT: What stringzz above said - how do you get bit perfect output
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by memphiskat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downloaded this and am giving it a try. I can't find any documentation/manual for it though. I have a lot of questions about it, but have searched and can't find a user group or any type of info really about it, so I'll ask here :wink:

I am really interested in trying the Bauer to binaural algorithms. They don't appear to function in real time so do you have to select the process and then export with effects?

In preferences/audio tab is where you select the algorithm. Does it only take effect if you select an algorithm and then export it with export with effects checked in the export window?

In preferences/audio there is also a choice for resampling but no choice of none. Does it always resample?
or only when you export? If I play a 24bit/96khz file does it get resampled or does it play at the native rate?
THeres also an option for output sample rate and then audio midi setup. I guess what I'm asking is how do I set it up so that no resampling occurs. In some setups I use an outboard dac and don't want to resample before it reaches the dac.

A lot of questions I know but I can't find answers and I have looked. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Karl

EDIT: What stringzz above said - how do you get bit perfect output
confused_face(1).gif

Some great questions.

Re "when does the Bauer to binaural algorithm take effect," it takes effect at the time of selection. You should hear the difference within about a second after selection, at least I do. Try selecting <None>, then <Jan Meier>. The ultra-wide stereo effect should become more natural. I could readily hear the differences, but especially between <None> and any of the three settings.

Good question about bit perfect output. I'm planning to purchase a new DAC in the near future, and would like to send it the raw bit stream without processing. I have not found a way to do that with this player, yet.

May 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 46
Hi,

I'm the Vox developer, and member of this great community after the purchase of a pair of Denon D2000.
darthsmile.gif

This is also the reason I've integrated the crossfeed effect.
wink_face.gif

This effect works in realtime; it's a normal dsp like the equalizer, echo, etc...
About the bit perfect output, I'm currently working on the next 0.2.8 version that will focus on a lot of audio enhancements, including this feature; right now, the resampling option is needed to achieve the gapless playback.
To check the bit perfectness, I'll compare the Vox output buffer with the raw audio data input. Anyway, note that Core Audio (and also Vox) always works internally with 32 bit float data; this prevent data loss during dsp processing, but will not interfere with the bit perfect output, as less bit source will fit in 32 bit floats.

Alessio

May 11, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 46
alenofx,

Welcome to the forums! 

Please keep us informed on your bit-perfect progress! Plenty of Alpha and Beta tester's around here!

Also, what other "audio enhancements" were you thinking about?

Again, welcome aboard! 

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 46
Hey! Great to see you on head-fi, Alessio! I'm a huge fan of Vox, and am very much looking forward to future enhancements!

- bit perfect would be awesome
- maybe a playlist manager some day
- global hot keys?

Thanks for the great player!

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 46
I'm updating this thread for the release of the last Vox 0.2.8 beta 1 version; along with the new big feature of Audio Units effects support, there is now the option to disable the resampling of the internal mixer. For more info and download: http://voxapp.didgeroo.com/forums/thread-163.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back