VOTE: Cream or Led Zeppelin?
Sep 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put my vote for Led Zeppelin. As a drummer myself, the choice between Ginger Baker and John Bonham is difficult. While both bands were influential and chalked full of talent... the sheer longevity and number of albums from Led Zeppelin is what influenced my vote.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of this poll and started to think about a response. Definitely encapsulates my thinking on the comparison...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta be Zeppelin.......Cream had 4 albums.....Zeppelin almost 10.

I prefer Page to Clapton
I prefer Bonham to Baker
I prefer Plant to Bruce
and as a bassist I would say that Bruce and Jones are about tied....

But I much prefer Zeppelin's song writing and energy.

I love Jimmy Page when he and Led Zeppelin were at their peak. However, I personally think that Clapton is the better guitarist. There is the longevity issue that has to be considered. I'm pretty sure that Clapton can do more of what Page could do than visa versa. I voted for Led Zeppelin because there was something about the synergy of the band that Cream lacked. They were a sum that was greater than its parts though its parts were certainly at that legendary level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who the heck are the Cream?
redface.gif

I noted the smiley face but I'm sure that this would be the reaction of many people who weren't around when Cream was at its peak. Tough poll, love both bands.

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 23
I had cream in my coffee, but I'm wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt right now. Led Zepplin is my pick.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 23
One million times "Led Zeppelin"

Why is someone asking this????

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noted the smiley face but I'm sure that this would be the reaction of many people who weren't around when Cream was at its peak. Tough poll, love both bands.

I weren't around when Led Zeppelin was peaking the masses. Actually, I don't know any band I really like that has been 'in' during my time.
devil_face.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 23
Zep. Cream was good but Clapton never stuck with anything he did long enough to really build a lasting impression, other than of himself and his playing abilities. Shame, really. I wish Cream has stuck together for a lot longer than they did.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zep. Cream was good but Clapton never stuck with anything he did long enough to really build a lasting impression, other than of himself and his playing abilities. Shame, really. I wish Cream has stuck together for a lot longer than they did.

I voted for Cream, just to shake things up.
evil_smiley.gif

As per what Santa astutely noted, Cream lasted all of three years, Derek and the Dominos lasted one album, Blind Faith too, etc... Not to mention his participation in that Bluesbreakers album (the seminal, groundbreaking one that redefined guitar tone).

Yes, part of what makes a band great is longevity, which contributes to a large catalog.

So why did I actually vote for Cream?

I find their sound to be more coherent than Zep's, and they stretched the bounds of what a three-piece group could accomplish. For those who don't know, Clapton played rhythm and lead guitar, while Jack Bruce played wicked-good bass and sang silky smooth vocals with great range. And Ginger Baker was a great drummer, just like John Bonham. Clapton also revolutionized the use of the Wah pedal on "Tales of Brave Ulysses," and knocked it out of the park on "White Room." Not to mention the woman tone. They were the first supergroup!

I could go on longer about the subtleties of their tracks, and also drool about how ****ing amazing Crossroads is, but we all know that already, right?

In reality, Zep catalyzed my interest in classic rock, and my favorite song, period, is Black Dog (White Room is close behind). Page is among the greatest songwriters, producers, and improvisers, in history. To infuse a bit of synesthesia into the discussion, each Zep song has a different color (I actually see the colors). That is how burned into my brain their music is. Cream's work is closer to monochromatic (light gray and white generally). But Page also had moments where his playing was at times ragged and not very clean. That kind of stuff grates on my nerves, and does detract from how much I enjoy their music.

In terms of instrumentation, Zep was more varied, thanks to JPJ, who played a slew of instruments. And Bonham was like having two drummers at once. But Jack Bruce is a better singer than Robert Plant. Let's not get into a Page vs. Clapton debate, because I'm biased (*cough* it's Clapton *cough*).

I don't think either band is better than the other, but Cream has influenced my current taste in music more, so it wins (for now!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back