Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #616 of 874
I completely agree with you and everything you've said makes sense, but are you saying that someone else may just prefer the sound of a 96k mp3 file to a 16/44 FLAC??
All I'm saying above is that if you start with a bog standard iPod and amp it, I can't believe there's anyone out there who'd prefer that to the same amp supplied by an ultra high quality DAC?

That is exactly what I'm saying. Without data you cannot say that product A or B is better objectively. You have just your opinion. And that thing happens. It is well documented. It is a fact that an original CD (not MP3 inflated to 16/44 PCM) sounds less good to some people. And while calling one amp better vs. another is be an incompatible analogy (they merely amplify rather than supply or interpret the signal and the signal (file) isn't the defining element), there are loads of people that prefer amps or DACs with more distortion, or lowered dynamic range. I test each and every amp/DAC, etc. that comes through my office and have since 2009. And, I can say without doubt that some of the equipment that keeps the signal as close to the original as possible is loved by people, but just as often, something that performs less well is preferred. 

Your assumption re: the iPod and ultra high DAC falls in the same lines. A 5000$ or more expensive valve amp will never, ever outperform a well-designed solid state amp. If it sounds 'better' to you only reinforces that a person's opinion is just that. But against objective measures, the same isn't true. Then there is visual bias, confirmation bias, etc. It is why all good sound tests are performed at a minimum at the exact same volume. A slight rise in volume will make that thing sound 'better' to a person. Preferences have nothing at all to do with actual objective quality, which is exactly why when someone asks me which is better (and I can't assume that they and I will hold the same opinion/preferences) I inform them of the only things about which I can be sure: how a certain amp or DAC performs. Whether or not they like it has nothing to do with the performance of the devices in question.

As this thread is about Vorzüge PURE II, I've not tested a single portable amp that tests as good as it. Leckerton Audio's UHA6SMKII performed as well in a number of benchmarks, but has an unsteady noise floor. This is all testable and corroborated by measures. It doesn't matter that you, or I, or another person prefers one over the other and asserts that it is 'better'. 

It would be better for everyone if people were honest and just say they prefer or think something sounds better rather than making qualitative assertions that aren't testable, or which vary from person to person. 

Absolutely some people prefer MP3s to CDs of the same music. Absolutely some people prefer the sound of valves to solid state (I sometimes fall into this category). Absolutely some people prefer the sound of vinyl to digital (I also sometimes fall into this category). But none of those preferences speak to anything but a person's opinion. And their opinion isn't universal. 

A better analogy is Leica VS. Nikon. My Leica M240 has measurably lower dynamic range, worse ISO performance, etc., than a Nikon D750. That I prefer using it does not mean that it makes images with better quality than the D750. Attached to the same lens (headphone), that is quantifiably false. I prefer it though. To me, it suits my purposes better. Measured against my personal biases, it is better - for me. But again, that says more about me than it says about the objects in question. The exact same thing is true of sources/amps. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #617 of 874
As before I completely agree and you've wonderfully explained how personal taste and amp colouration are neither 'good/better' or 'bad/worse'and tbh my issue with this isn't actually to do with amps, more to do with DACs.

When I listen to my iPod on it's own, I can't hear all the instruments, I definitely can't hear any seperation or a feeling of being able to hear 'where' the sounds are coming from. The entire sound is veiled. To use your camera analogy it's like the lens is foggy.
I 'assumed' everyone would prefer a crystal clear, detailed but completely neutral DAC?! Then you can add an amp to colour the sound to your individual liking.
I will however accept that not everyone might, and, in future, explain 'what' I hear rather than my opinion on what I hear.
:thumbsup:

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #619 of 874
my hugo was a good pairing with the XC when I owned it so i am very surprised to hear of problems with the mojo...that said i am sure that the amp will sound very good although i am not sure that is your problem

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #620 of 874
  Anyone tried it with LCD-XC, I got Mojo and its a bad pairing with LCD-XC, so i'm wondering will adding Pure II will do the trick?

Also what about Pure II plus?

The Pure II + will work well with your LCD-XCs.  The Vorzamp outputs 569 mW @ 18 ohms so you will get an approximate peak SPL of 125.4 db.

I've not heard the LCD-XCs with the Pure II + but Headphonia gives the Pure II stellar props with the LCD-X which is the same headphone with earcups attached to make them closed.  I think you would be more than happy with the pairing.  http://www.headfonia.com/vorzuge-pure-ii-single-ended-perfected/2/

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #622 of 874
Minor issue peeps.
My Solo -R and PureII+ Aluminium boxes are at the anodisers atm getting a facelift.
I put the circuit boards on a bit of bubblewrap and ran the two last night and had issue with the sound. The earth pins were obviously not earthed as they were sat on the bubble wrap.
The bass was a bit boomy and overbearing. I had to turn the iPod EQ to bass reducer!
Is this possible, or was I hearing it wrong??

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #623 of 874
Hey! Has anyone heard the Pure 2 with JH Laylas? Wondering about an alternative to the dastardly Astell and Kern swindle...

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #624 of 874
Hey! Has anyone heard the Pure 2 with JH Laylas? Wondering about an alternative to the dastardly Astell and Kern swindle...
This amp is great but no amp will solve the Layla.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #625 of 874
This amp is great but no amp will solve the Layla.

What do you mean "solve"? They're a nice lush and airy UIEM who's only problem is their bulk and the fact that once you have them you feel obliged to pamper them with a TOTL source.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #626 of 874
What do you mean "solve"? They're a nice lush and airy UIEM who's only problem is their bulk and the fact that once you have them you feel obliged to pamper them with a TOTL source.
Enjoy it.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #629 of 874
Pure II+ Rebooted

Awesome!    Looks really good!   I like the gold ends and think they would look sweet with the black body on mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back