Volume Imbalance on Headphones?
Nov 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TLDMan

Head-Fier
Is there a way to fix a volume imbalance in each cup on a pair of headphones? It's not a major difference, but I noticed on my new M50 the left cup is slightly louder than the right. Again, it's not too bad, but now that I notice it, I can't un-notice it. Any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks, would you by chance know of a similar plugin that can be used with iTunes? That's where my library is. If not, do you (or anyone, for that matter) know if Audio-Technica's one year warranty covers vocal imbalance, even if it's really slight? (I can barely notice it when switching back and forth but it's noticeable when listening.)

Thanks.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:

I trust you have reversed the phones to make sure it is not your ears/source.I test for imbalance by playing a mono track.

Yes I have, I've reversed the phones multiple times and have noticed a slight imbalance each time. I don't know exactly which tracks in my library are mono, so I used some Youtube recordings that were definitely mono and noticed a slight tilt toward the left end each time. Maybe it exists in every headphone and I'm just oversensitive to it, but I've never heard anyone complain about it so I'm just seeing if there possibly is a solution.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 18
High volume doesn't change it. However, I've been plugging it into speakers for awhile and tried plugging it directly into the computer and it's slightly better (though I'm not sure if there's really a difference or it's just my mind wanting to hear one.) That might be it, I'll test with a different system later. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 18
Update: Doing a side-by-side testing of each cup, it actually seems like the volumes are very similar. However, one side sounds a little less... detailed than the other. Is this actually possible?

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Update: Doing a side-by-side testing of each cup, it actually seems like the volumes are very similar. However, one side sounds a little less... detailed than the other. Is this actually possible?

Is the one side less detailed in the both of your ears?  Cause if it's not then you may have damaged hearing.  

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 18
My L ear is 2 dB less sensitive comparing to R. At first, I thought the trouble is from gear. Then I learned my ears are different, but... Now I pay more attention to this issue and easily notice any imbalance from the gear itself, though I appreciate to not notice that at all. All my cans need different balance settings.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Is the one side less detailed in the both of your ears?  Cause if it's not then you may have damaged hearing.  

Nope, when turning the headphones around, the sound was off-balance on the other side.

Quote:
I know that my left ear needs more volume than the right... I just use the balance on the player... why not try that...

Where is the balance on the player? I can't seem to find it.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 18
It depends on your player TLDMan, in mac I use neutrino, that has a simple dial for setting the L/R balance (pan), in winamp too, very straight forward, for foobar it gets kind'a complex, I had to install a VST plugin just for that, you can find a lot of those but once I'm at home I can give you links and all, since I have my PC over there and at work I have my mac...

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Is there a way to fix a volume imbalance in each cup on a pair of headphones? It's not a major difference, but I noticed on my new M50 the left cup is slightly louder than the right. Again, it's not too bad, but now that I notice it, I can't un-notice it. Any suggestions?

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but ... did you buy them new?  I have listened to enough headphones over the years to know that this is *not* normal.  If you got them new, I'd return them.  Try a different pair.  Maybe that side was put together wrong or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back