Volume Control Enquiries About the Digizoid ZO2.3
Oct 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SkyBleu

Previously known as 2Curiosity9
Well, to start off, I would like to know if anyone could clarify with me if the ZO2 amp on Amazon from Digizoid are the new ZO2.3s.
Link here ( http://www.amazon.com/Digizoid-ZO-2-Personal-Subwoofer/dp/B00747N5ZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351335318&sr=1-1&keywords=zo2 )

Now, onto my main question,
If I intend to use the ZO2.3 on an android phone by connecting the two via the 3.5mm cable, would I still be able to utilize the volume control function? or does that only apply to the iDevices where their connecting cables are different?

Thank you in advance:)
(I'm new and noob to this stuff, so any help is appreciated)

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 18
Yes, those should be the v2.3. Other version of V2 are only in very limited number (plus, many of them were returned for upgrade), so they are not available anymore.

You can use either the volume control on your Android phone or the one on ZO2.3. For best result, try to set the volume on the cellphone a bit higher (80~90%) and use the ZO2.3 to control the volume. Same for iDevice.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 18
Alright, Thank you!

But I've looked around at reviews and videos, and many have said that the volume control function on the ZO2.3 only works with the cable that is used to connect to the charging port of the iDevices. So, as you said, it should work via the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable on an Android phone? (such as this one http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Cable-Stereo-Right-Angle/dp/B005EV38AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351391265&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+l8 )

Sorry for the novice question...but thanks:)

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 18
Alright, Thank you!

But I've looked around at reviews and videos, and many have said that the volume control function on the ZO2.3 only works with the cable that is used to connect to the charging port of the iDevices. So, as you said, it should work via the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable on an Android phone? (such as this one http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Cable-Stereo-Right-Angle/dp/B005EV38AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351391265&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+l8
ir

)

Sorry for the novice question...but thanks:)

'Many' are wrong in this case. But I suspect they are talking about line-out from iDevice, which shouldn't be your concern atm.

ZO2.3 is fully functional regardless of what input you plug it into as long as it is just a typical analog output (iDevice's headphone-out, Android's phone headphone-out, mp3 player's headphone-out, etc).

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 18
Purely as amp, I prefer E11. But if I am only after bass boost, I'll take ZO2.3.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 18
Well then, I guess I need to thank you for all your help!
So, Thank You:)

I guess I'll just be going with the E11 in that case, as I am more after the amping than I am for the bass boosting. I did go through your reviews, and from what I had read, i guess the E11 will be a better pick for me.
Sorry, but last quick question, does the bass boost/EQ on the E11, when set on 2, provide clear bass boost? or is it muddy?

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 18
Well then, I guess I need to thank you for all your help!
So, Thank You:)

I guess I'll just be going with the E11 in that case, as I am more after the amping than I am for the bass boosting. I did go through your reviews, and from what I had read, i guess the E11 will be a better pick for me.
Sorry, but last quick question, does the bass boost/EQ on the E11, when set on 2, provide clear bass boost? or is it muddy?

Some people only like deep bass boost, meaning bass boost that is well under 250Hz. Some people like a bit more body so 250Hz+ bass boost is fine with them. Whether you will find it clean or muddy really depends on how much you like your bass boost to extend upward. I personally don't mind a bit upward myself, which is why I've like ZO2.3 better for bass boost as it extends better and sounds more fun to me. E11 bass boost is pretty clean in contrast. However, it also depends on which headphone you are using. Some headphone doesn't react well to bass boost and you might not like it.

and when i plug a control talk aux cable into the amp, would the controltalk functions still work even though it is not plugged directly into the source?

It won't work.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 18
So in my case, I currently own a pair of V-Moda M80, would that then provide me with the clean sound quality that I am after, or would it be muddy? For the bass, I usually just like it to the point where I just get enough thump so that it is just noticeable that the bass boost is on; not overpowering if you know what I'm trying to say...but yeah, would the m80s react to the E11's bass boost better than the zo2.3 bass boost? Or vice versa.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 18
Can't help you there - never own or heard a M-80 before.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Hey ClieOS, 
Does the E11 improve the sound quality in any way? or is it just kinda like a volume adjuster?

All amps improve/modify sound to some extent, what amp is better is quite complex scenario, obviously quality of the components is an important thing obviously but also:

- Synergy with the headphones; some work better with some headphones than others
- Personal taste about how it should sound like, every1 got their own preferred bass quantity etc
- What's the intended usage; portable? for IEMs etc

For me I can't imagine any amp giving me more satisfaction for my Q40 headphones than ZO2.1 as both the synergy with the headphones is excellent (by default Q40 is very tiny bit U-shape unamped, with ZO2.1 it makes the midrange come more forward so it's quite in balance with the highs) as well as fitting my personal taste perfectly as I can configure the bass to be just as strong as I prefer it to be thanks to 32-lvl bass adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back