Volectric amp question, please stop me from making an expensive mistake...
Jan 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DaveN

New Head-Fier
I am trying to purchase a V200 to use with my HD800 and Smyth Realiser setup. Unfortunately, the amp is so popular that they are a month behind in production and then up to two weeks to ship. I have been unsuccessful in getting one in the US.

They are in stock from Thomann.de and the price is about the same. The only thing that occurred to me after placing an order is whether it is universal for 110 or 220V. The manual is unclear. Specifications in the manual lists supply voltage 230 V AC / 115 VAC max. 10 VA. It also states:
Mains power is provided via a three-pin IEC/CEE socket and mating "cold-appliance" mains cord with Schuko-type plug. The device is set to 230V mains, whereas the actual voltage may vary between 190 and 240 volts for flawless operation. A toroidal transformer provides the internal operating voltages of +/-30V approx.

The Earth / Grounding Concept

POWER SUPPLY
+U -U (others) 18/30 V    18/30 V
Toroidal Transformer 230 / 115 V AC

I have emailed Fried at Violectric but of course this happens over a weekend. Since the back of the unit lists 230/115V AC will it work if purchased from Germany when plugged into 120V line? I don't want to use a step up converter and I also don't want to make a huge financial mistake by purchasing an unusable amp. All help greatly appreciated.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 7
I found a link to an internal photo of power supply. Am I wrong or does it look like it would handle either V?

http://audiophysics.hk/images/product/large/92.jpg

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 7
I lent mine to my daughter, but as I recall it's universal.  Just plug it in.

In other news, people say the right-hand jack is the one to use - shorter path, better sound.

I hope you're happy with it.  It's a great little amp.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 7
There are two common ways to power electrical appliances.
First the "traditional" with transformers.

Those transformers should match quite close the local AC voltage.
Fortunately there are (only) two major approches in this world: about 110 VAC and about 230 VAC.
Many european transformers are made with two identical primary windings, each for 115 volt.
Putting them parallel means that the unit is ready to work in the US, Japan and some other countries.
Putting them in series means that the unit is best suited for the rest of the world.
Sometimes there is a switch to come from one mode to the other.
In case of Violectric the modes have to be changed by soldering.

The second and easy way is a switch-mode power supply.
Most of these will work properly from 90 ... 260 VAC and there is no need to care for local mains voltages.
But they have other issues and so they are normally hard to find in sophisticated gear !!

By the way:
operating a "rest of the world 230 VAC unit" outside its home market without altering the transformer
is not dangerous at all. It may work with some lack of performance or perhaps may not work.
But generally it will not be damaged.
Vice versa - operating a US/Japan device outside its home market - there is a big chance of totally damaging  the whole thing,
at least the fuse will be blown !!
Maybe Edison should have made himself some more thoughts when he fixed 110 VAC for the US .... 
And who can be made responsible for inches, miles, gallons, fl. ounces and not fl. ounces, pounds, fahrenheit ...

Anyway ...
Lake People / Violectric offers instructions how to come from 230 VAC to 1125 VAC and vice versa.
These are mailed on request.
Also how to install a USB input.
The USB installation is completely made without soldering.

For changing mains voltage you should know how to manage a soldering iron.
To change from 230 VAC to 115 VAC one trace has to be cut and to bridges have to be soldered.
This is not a big problem if you now how to proceed.
Changing the fuse is NOT necessary !!

Indeed Violectric has some delivery /stock problems because of massive and unexpected sales during seasons, before and after :wink:

We are busy to solve these and apologize for any inconveniences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back