Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Jun 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #166 of 181
  Here are photos of the new driver, sorry didn't take any pictures of the install as it was really easy, desolder existing cables from drivers, use heat gun to warm up glue holding drivers on plastic plate, install new drivers with some hot glue and solder back wires, took all of 15 minutes.

New drivers are installed, old one has the built-in grill.

That looks very nice!

Which cable are you using?

I wonder what it would sound like if one were to remove the grill from the original driver...

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #167 of 181
The cable is a cheap silver plated copper that I got from china (Luna Shops, IIRC)
Its would be hard to remove the grill, looks like its glued on really good, I tried to remove it with a little heat but it didn't move.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #170 of 181
  see  that's the thing, they WERE bad for rock and classical and had bad instrumental seperation until I dusted them out of a box with 600 hours+ of burn in time and now they are no longer bassy, they seem extremely flat now, but they are detailed with a sound stage of being in a big room with really good speakers which are extremely detailed.

My point is that for whatever reason, the sound characteristic of these headphones changed entirely. It's messed up when your friend who has been having $10,000 speakers shoved in his face his entire life says they are by far the best headphones he's ever heard.

Dude,have you heard V moda 100? I am not a fan of V moda 100,but I am curious to know how recessed LP is in the mids compared to V moda100.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #171 of 181
Dude,have you heard V moda 100? I am not a fan of V moda 100,but I am curious to know how recessed LP is in the mids compared to V moda100.

To answer your question, yes m100s are a lot more detailed compared to the lps. But I wouldn't say the m100s are worth their price.

I know it's pretty late but might help someone looking to get one. I've had my lps for quite some time now. It was quite muddy from day one and I did not like the signature one bit. It had a lot of bass but that's all it had. You might like it depending on what other headphones you've used prior to it. I had m50xs to compare it against and the difference was drastic. There was no detail at all and everything sounded hollow and muddy. 2 years later and after around 50-60 hrs of burn in they sound just as bad. But I recently got into the eq game and they get a lot better with eq ing. I'm using the eq mac2 software on my mac and a good eq can actually make them sound better. Paired to the schiit stack they sound pretty good now. They got a lot clearer with proper eqing. Burning in for a few more hours might make things a lot better. I've started to like them now, and ordered the xl pads. I think I might spend some time with lps now. They've got more than enough bass and with proper eq you can make it sound just the way you like. For reference I use m50xs, hd 598se and hd6xx on a regular basis. I started to love these cans.

Cheers.

May 29, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #172 of 181
Just got my LP, was too cheap a deal ($45) to pass up. Not the greatest and one of the worst sound signatures of all the headphones I have heard. Granted it looks great but not very comfortable. I'm going to see if it helps to burn it in like the first poster stated, after 200 hours if I'll listen to it again and if there is significant changes might just pass it on to a friend, if not its going to be donated.
I couldn't disagree more, the drivers in these headphones are very capable but just tuned the wrong way. To get the most out of the crossfade LP2, you have to connect them to a cold amp (amp which has more focus on the higher end of the spectrum) which brings back the lost highs slightly and calms down the muddiness of the mid-bass. Then EQin them where you have to increase the higher end from 3.5khz to 18khz which really brings these to life and reducing the bass from 200ish hz to 50hz cleans the low end by a large margin. These are just my opinions that I wanted to share to help some people (Owned my pair for 5 years and still a proud owner of em) , and also own a pair of hd25 and the EQed crossfade LP2 rival them pretty good. Also closing the bass ports slightly cleans up the bass lil bit but at the expense of airyness.

May 30, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #173 of 181
I couldn't disagree more, the drivers in these headphones are very capable but just tuned the wrong way. To get the most out of the crossfade LP2, you have to connect them to a cold amp (amp which has more focus on the higher end of the spectrum) which brings back the lost highs slightly and calms down the muddiness of the mid-bass. Then EQin them where you have to increase the higher end from 3.5khz to 18khz which really brings these to life and reducing the bass from 200ish hz to 50hz cleans the low end by a large margin. These are just my opinions that I wanted to share to help some people (Owned my pair for 5 years and still a proud owner of em) , and also own a pair of hd25 and the EQed crossfade LP2 rival them pretty good. Also closing the bass ports slightly cleans up the bass lil bit but at the expense of airyness.
WOW, really haven't seen anyone post in this thread for a while.
I don't know if you read the rest of my post but I did change out the drivers and while I think it was better I didn't think they were within my pretty large range of what I'd listen to so I gave them to my friend Sara and she like them so I'm glad they have a good home.

May 30, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #174 of 181
WOW, really haven't seen anyone post in this thread for a while.
I don't know if you read the rest of my post but I did change out the drivers and while I think it was better I didn't think they were within my pretty large range of what I'd listen to so I gave them to my friend Sara and she like them so I'm glad they have a good home.
Btw how much did you buy those driver from? Am lil bit interested in a new project but I need a headphone shell to go with it. Any idea where I can find it?

If you want to make your hmmm let's say luna-moda C:{ Bluetooth, you can buy a fiio Bluetooth DAC (the DAC is really small) and buy two small little magnets, glue one magnet on to the bottom of the headphone right near the audio jack and one onto the DAC (remove the clip). Get one small aux wire (which you can get from fiio) and whola you have a great Bluetooth headphone. :)

May 30, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #175 of 181
I think I got the drivers from Luna Shops for $12-15, it was pretty cheap but one of the few that would just fit without too much mod work. I've pretty much gave up with V-Moda headphones for now but I still use my XS since its so small and easy to carry around.

May 30, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #176 of 181
I think I got the drivers from Luna Shops for $12-15, it was pretty cheap but one of the few that would just fit without too much mod work. I've pretty much gave up with V-Moda headphones for now but I still use my XS since its so small and easy to carry around.
Man its sad to know that the V-moda have been given upon. Try and get the old drivers back and try to EQ them and trust me you will be surprised how good they are with EQ and BTW they scale so well with cold amps and also don't forget the xl pads as they tighten the bass and add little bit of soundstage which really brings these to life with rock and jazz. I do not really recommend plugging these into a tube but only recommend cold amps

May 30, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #177 of 181
Man its sad to know that the V-moda have been given upon. Try and get the old drivers back and try to EQ them and trust me you will be surprised how good they are with EQ and BTW they scale so well with cold amps and also don't forget the xl pads as they tighten the bass and add little bit of soundstage which really brings these to life with rock and jazz. I do not really recommend plugging these into a tube but only recommend cold amps
I think I dumped the old drivers a few years ago when I was moving. I've gone through many headphones since and I still have a bunch of other headphones so I really don't think its worth my time and effort at this point. Also, I can't use EQ due to the way my living room system is setup with multiple DACs and amps and I've never really cared for using EQ since I like the differences between the various headphones, DACs and amps that I have. To give you an idea of some of what I have:
Table-Top-2.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #178 of 181
I think I dumped the old drivers a few years ago when I was moving. I've gone through many headphones since and I still have a bunch of other headphones so I really don't think its worth my time and effort at this point. Also, I can't use EQ due to the way my living room system is setup with multiple DACs and amps and I've never really cared for using EQ since I like the differences between the various headphones, DACs and amps that I have. To give you an idea of some of what I have:
Man you have got a whole bunch of headphones to compare. I have my trust old sennheisers (hd580,hd650,hd25) and beyerdynamics (dt770 pro 32 ohms) to compare and the crossfades fare well only against the hd25 when amped and EQed. BTW the best EQ is APO equalizer because it gives you full from 20hz to 20khz.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #180 of 181
I bought a V-Moda Crossfade LP (first version) with rather worn earpads out of curiosity.

3412bf94d33387f75ff1509b50754df0_big.jpg

I tried them on and they sounded exactly as expected based on reviews: overblown bass, quite muddy, recessed mids, rolled off highs.

So I decided to remove the pleather from earpads, since it was crumbling anyway. Took me about 30 minutes of work with packing tape and dry sponge. The result: not only the headphones are now more comfy and I don't get pleather pieces on my face when wearing them, the sound improved significantly. They are still bassy, but bass is less muddy, mids and highs are much better. Highs might actually be a bit too hot, I might try some tricks to temper them slightly (and that's from a Beyerdynamic DT990 user). So If you have V-moda LPs with worn pads, I definitely recommend trying that.

cbfbda82e0a18eda47c31fe13bbb99da_big.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back