Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
May 31, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #482 of 562
IMHO the issue with tube rolling on this amp is that it is using 5u4gbeh that is different than common 5u4g, same goes for 6sn7gtb and 6n1p-ev. So common substitutes (5u4g, 6sn7, 6n1p) have slightly different specs.

May 31, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #485 of 562
Not. Any suggestions?
I was just curious. I’m using a stock one, but would like to try synergetic research purple or master fuse in the future. I changed 845 tube for linlai, next I’m going for 6n1p and 6sn7, and then fuse and powercord. So thank you for sharing your experience with tube rolling. There is no much info on this subject.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #486 of 562
I use both Utopia and Lcd4 and Abyss, with Viva making no difference, you can use any headset and will always play at its maximum quality. Attention to the game of the valves, the amplifier responds decisively.
On the right of picture, a Western Electric replica by Psvane, amazing upgrade if you use orthodynamic headphones, nothing will be more like before!!!

img_0212.jpg
Is there any way to darken the sound so it sounds more tubey by changing the tubes? I heard it’s very linear and was interested just how dark it can get by changing the tubes. Thanks for your help.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #488 of 562
Is there any way to darken the sound so it sounds more tubey by changing the tubes? I heard it’s very linear and was interested just how dark it can get by changing the tubes. Thanks for your help.
I would say that yes, the amp is responsive to some changes in tonal balance based on tube changes. Probably easiest/most effective to do with rolling the 6sn7.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #489 of 562
Do those color the sound a bit?
I haven't gone back to any other 845 tube since I purchased the Elrogs, so I don't really remember all the detailed diffeerences. I don't think "color" is the word I would use though for the Elrogs, more on the sense of space and the detail were both improved. Again, it's been quite awhile since I've used another 845.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #491 of 562
I remember very clearly that the rectifier valves changed the sound more than all the others. At the time I worked hard to have a more material, powerful and less detailed sound for my Focal Utopia, and I succeeded with a pair of rectifiers.

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #492 of 562
I remember very clearly that the rectifier valves changed the sound more than all the others. At the time I worked hard to have a more material, powerful and less detailed sound for my Focal Utopia, and I succeeded with a pair of rectifiers.
Do you have a recommendation on rectifier tubes? I was running sovtek 5u4g (not gb) and liked the sound of those, but the flash in them every time I powered them on was a bit disconcerting. I had some JJ tubes which sound pretty boring and flat. I have some NOS RCA 5u4gb coming so I'm hopeful those will be better. I am also curious about the Sylvania 5931.

Otherwise, I'm still very satisfied with 1960s vintage Melz 1578 for 6sn7 and Elrog 845. With many other 6sn7 (e.g.TS BGRP, RCA red base, some vintages of melz, etc.) I found the bottom end to be too rolled off (I'm using Susvara). Only the 1960s Melz and some Sylvania chrome tops (don't recall exactly which) seemed to keep the lower end of freq range intact.

I did also order some different vintages of Voskhod rocket 6n1p-ev so I'll have to see if those make any difference. I did once try a black square anode 6n1p (non ev) and that rolled off bottom and top ends and dynamics, so definitely no go.

I'd really be interested to hear what specific tubes others find to work well.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #493 of 562
Do you have a recommendation on rectifier tubes? I was running sovtek 5u4g (not gb) and liked the sound of those, but the flash in them every time I powered them on was a bit disconcerting. I had some JJ tubes which sound pretty boring and flat. I have some NOS RCA 5u4gb coming so I'm hopeful those will be better. I am also curious about the Sylvania 593.1

Otherwise, I'm still very satisfied with 1960s vintage Melz 1578 for 6sn7 and Elrog 845. With many other 6sn7 (e.g.TS BGRP, RCA red base, some vintages of melz, etc.) I found the bottom end to be too rolled off (I'm using Susvara). Only the 1960s Melz and some Sylvania chrome tops (don't recall exactly which) seemed to keep the lowere end of freq range.

I did also order some different vintages of Voskhod rocket 6n1p-ev so I'll have to see if those make any difference. I did once try a black square anode 6n1p (non ev) and that rolled off bottom and top ends and dynamics, so definitely no go.

I'd really be interested to hear what specific tubes others find to work well.
I was very happy with a pair of Marconi 5u4g, but today I see that they have reached very high prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back