Vista Ultimate or Ubuntu 8.04?
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #121 of 140
You know Office 2000 runs well in wine?. If you must use it, at least this avoids rebooting. I also use Virtualbox to run what wine cannot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ubuntu feels so much more - complete (for lack of a better word), or integrated. However, my laptop's fans are so loud I have to use Windows to be able to control the fans. The many fan control tweaks and options in Ubuntu don't seem to work on my computer. Another thing is MS Office: I've had too many OpenOffice compatibility problems; hence I am stuck with Microsoft. Meh.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #122 of 140
crossoffice also will let you for a small fee run office 2003 supported I believe. But I quite like running a virtualbox VM with winXP for vmware Infrastructure client at work, at home i have no use for it. Although Vmware workstation 6.5 beta now has support for Dx 9 so i'm goning to have to try playing games in it!

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #123 of 140
Removed

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #124 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And familiarity, that is just because Windows pratically has a monopoly on the market, the majority of people use windows therefore they are much more familiar with it and people don't like change. However change can be good.

tealcx.jpg

Indeed!

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #125 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista is slower than linux. On pretty much all fronts maybe except at running vista. Virtualisation is inherently a little slower.

How many windows forums have windows developers that are willing to help you out free of charge? And here is windows support :

ok not very end userish and still quite graphical but SPEC benchmarks are industry standards, and very CPU intensive.
[Phoronix] NVIDIA Workstation Performance: Windows vs. Linux vs. Solaris

I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that vista is slower than "linux". Which distribution did you compare, what benchmarks did you use?

That SPEC benchmark you linked to, is not CPU intensive. SPEC-CPU is the one you're looking for. I have no idea which OS performs better there. Also there isn't a direct translation to real-world apps. Most real-world apps are not heavily optimized and not all of them written by the best of programmers, making SPEC benchmarks as an indicator - unreliable at best.

The average linux user is an order of magnitude more computer savvy than average windows user. The notion that either OS is inherently secure just by design is incorrect. For those interested in criticizing windows I would encourage you to first read the NT kernel whitepapers. Some would argue that Windows' BSD based kernel design is superior to that of linux or OSX. (just speaking of the kernel here)

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #126 of 140
We don't need benchmarks. We tried to run vista OOB with aero enabled in a (normal) laptop. Have you?. It is usually so slow you cant work.

Also, I recommend you browse a bit around ubuntuforums.org. You'll see there are thousands of normal users there asking questions and getting answers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl1ckmasterflex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that vista is slower than "linux". Which distribution did you compare, what benchmarks did you use?

The average linux user is an order of magnitude more computer savvy than average windows user. The notion that either OS is inherently secure just by design is incorrect. For those interested in criticizing windows I would encourage you to first read the NT kernel whitepapers. Some would argue that Windows' BSD based kernel design is superior to that of linux or OSX. (just speaking of the kernel here)

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #127 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We don't need benchmarks. We tried to run vista OOB with aero enabled in a (normal) laptop. Have you?. It is usually so slow you cant work.

Also, I recommend you browse a bit around ubuntuforums.org. You'll see there are thousands of normal users there asking questions and getting answers.

I have a Macbook pro and a Vista PC I use for gaming. I can work on the PC just fine, and havent noticed any tangible performance regressions from XP. As far as linux is concerned, the last time I tried running Ubuntu with compiz/beryl, my machine routinely slowed down to a crawl. I didnt top of the line hardware though.

Rather than get drawn into subjective comments, I prefer objective indicators as simply voicing opinions on online forums, espicially on OS choices, quickly turns into a pissing contest.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #129 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a mate who runs ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz fusion on an EEE pc. I have to admit that really suprised me. It's also really smooth as long as you don't enable transparency which the onboard Intel 915 doesn't like. Try running aero on an Intel 915

Why should I try doing that? Whats your point anyway? I re-read my post and nowhere do I claim that aero runs on all hardware out there. Just because I have different opinion on linux, I must somehow defend a position I did not take? I simply pointed out that your earlier benchmark link was completely misleading as the benchmark is a graphical workstation performance benchmark, not commonly used as an objective indicator for comparing real world os performance.

Jeez...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #130 of 140
Our point is to point out that many people were scammed with the "vista ready" sticker on normal consumer computers that were vista incapable. That's history. It is also very well known that vista requires much more hardware than XP to run with ease. Finally, compiz is a very new interface and at the beginning had a few bugs; maybe you got one and thats why it ran so slow. You should try it now. I invite you to install ubuntu 8.04.01. It is free, as in beer and as in freedom.

However, if you do not want to, don't do it. And if you are happy with vista, run it and don't look back. Be happy.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #131 of 140
Also for whoever asked, my HD2400 Pro worked out of the box with restricted drivers in Ubuntu, no lag issues what so ever.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #132 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our point is to point out that many people were scammed with the "vista ready" sticker on normal consumer computers that were vista incapable. That's history. It is also very well known that vista requires much more hardware than XP to run with ease. Finally, compiz is a very new interface and at the beginning had a few bugs; maybe you got one and thats why it ran so slow. You should try it now. I invite you to install ubuntu 8.04.01. It is free, as in beer and as in freedom.

However, if you do not want to, don't do it. And if you are happy with vista, run it and don't look back. Be happy.

If you mean the "Vista Capable" logo then absolutely. I've had to break it to many a sales team member who bought a "vista capable" laptop that it's going to run terribly on their machine.

I can't believe there isn't a compiz windows equivalent yet.

Also on the windows front, I've installed win2k8 for kicks, and a lot of the complaints I have with Vista have been put to rest. It's posting much more respectable benchmarks in terms of disk and 3d apps. That said, there's much more incompatibility. I think XP is still king of the hill in terms of overall use, but who knows where that's going to wind up in time. I still think they dropped the ball with Vista, 2k8 is just further proof.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #133 of 140
I think vista sp1 is pretty decent on a fast machine (quad core w/ 4G); its not like things can run much faster than almost instant response.

I have used unix with CDE for years, although I have never touched Linux cuz it doesn't game as well as MS OS. The one thing I love about unix is its extensive commands for string manipulation.

If $ is not an issue, have a fast machine and have no time to relearn I would stick with vista; although I think MS OS is much less compelling if you don't play games...I think DX10 games looks pretty sweet
wink.gif

P.S. no OS is crash proof...I have crashed my share of Unix boxes

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #134 of 140
Ive liked Vista Ultimate x64 since release on my Q6600 w2GB.

I have tried to install four different versions of Ubuntu (the two last releases both 32 and 64 bit) on this system and never once has ubuntu been able to load. It has an issue with SATA and PATA being used at the same time on my Abit IP35Pro.

I really want to use the Beryl 3D desktop but Ubuntu need to try harder and get their act together if they want non-techie people to be able to install and use their software.. this is about the only thing computer related I've failed to be able to do in a looooong time and I'm pretty expereinced....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #135 of 140
Ubuntu works fine in mi IP35 pro, but I only have a SATA drive. The problem with OS other than window$ is that manufacturers do not release drivers for them. Either they do not consider it to be profitable, or they fear the monopolistic practices (pure revenge) that MS can use against them. There are drivers programmed by linux users, some even reverse-engineered, because the companies wont even release the specs of the chips used. Why bother, if all computers sold have vista installed?. I had to build mine from components to avoid purchasing vista. Wonderful world!. And some people say we are free!. A free world of sheep!.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive liked Vista Ultimate x64 since release on my Q6600 w2GB.

I have tried to install four different versions of Ubuntu (the two last releases both 32 and 64 bit) on this system and never once has ubuntu been able to load. It has an issue with SATA and PATA being used at the same time on my Abit IP35Pro.

I really want to use the Beryl 3D desktop but Ubuntu need to try harder and get their act together if they want non-techie people to be able to install and use their software.. this is about the only thing computer related I've failed to be able to do in a looooong time and I'm pretty expereinced....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back