Vishay Resistors in Europe
Dec 11, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 21
got my VD's from welborne labs in the US, but they don't have the one you want. plus the cerafines i got from them were soo much cheaper than here in europe

biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #17 of 21
The resistors from Rapid are made by BC Components, whose parent company is Philips. The VDs are just a step up from generic resistors, same as the ones available in the in the UK. The price is similar to domestically available resistors of the same grade, even though that's no real indicator. If you want to go a real step up, if you can get some of the Holco resistors they are better, however they don't fit the usual R207 profile, and are considerably more expensive.

Before you claim "bragging rights" I suggest listening to what you can get first, and then if you're not satisfied you can import some "approved" resistors. I think you'll be disappointed.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Before you claim "bragging rights" I suggest listening to what you can get first, and then if you're not satisfied you can import some "approved" resistors. I think you'll be disappointed.

I may do just that...
600smile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The resistors from Rapid are made by BC Components, whose parent company is Philips. The VDs are just a step up from generic resistors, same as the ones available in the in the UK. The price is similar to domestically available resistors of the same grade, even though that's no real indicator. If you want to go a real step up, if you can get some of the Holco resistors they are better, however they don't fit the usual R207 profile, and are considerably more expensive.

Unfortunately, with Holcos you need to get the vintage versions. The new production ones have been dropped by just about every high end parts dealer because they have steel end caps and sound dreadful. Most places have replaced them with PRP resistors which are a step up from V-D metal films. You can get both PRP and vintage Holco resistors from Parts Connexion and Percy. However, I still don't think that it is worth using them in a Pimeta, or anything else with an opamp or monolithic buffer in it for that matter. Save your money and buy a better opamp instead as it will make an actual difference.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #20 of 21
BC are good resistors (Beyschlag, if IIRC). I've used them alot in Mints and Pimetas (Digikey carries them as well as Phoenix Passive Components, which is a former Philips plant in Brazil IIRC which was bought out by the employees, and still produces resistors which are identical as far as I can tell). If you decide to go for the Dales RN55s or RN60s, just order them from Mouser and get a bunch. I wouldn't bother with Welborne.

If you really want good resistors, get Roderstein... but you won't find many values left (Percy carries them) as they were discontinued
biggrin.gif
. I can't swear I can hear a difference in resistors, but I think my Gilmore with Rodersteins/PRPs sound better than the one with VDs... a touch smoother. But I could be imagining things also, so I wouldn't hold much stock in that.

Pinkie seems to like the Welwyns available at RS or somewhere in the UK also. But I think they can be a bit pricey as well.

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #21 of 21
They're probably going to be even more difficult now to get in Europe, since RN55 is mil-spec, and that means there's lead plating for soldering reliability and it isn't RoHS compliant. Personally, I'll only believe the stuff they stick in specs, and apart from the larger temperature range, RNxx resistors from Vishay-Dale are rated with very small shot/current noise (something like -25dBv, forgot the exact units). If I were in Europe, I'd pick whatever resistor has a comparable current noise specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back