Vishay Resistors in Europe
Dec 8, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 21
RS do them but they are in there 'extended range'. IE ontop of the Postage and packaging you have to pay an extra £10 on it, now that sounds great and tbh i'd live with that...only thing is that the minimum order qty is for 50 pcs EACH!!

frown.gif

Perhaps i should just buy a stack of them and resell on ebay!!

Matt

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or not bother with them. The Rapid 0.1% 0.4W resistors are excellent quality, even if they're not "audiophile" rated.

I've had conflicting reports on the rapid resistors, I am temped toi mport a reasonable stock of the V-B resistors, I am about to build a PIMETA.

I will look over the next few days into various options like a mini group buy from rs to spread the cost, also I have friends in NY who may be able to buy localy and ship to the uk, PM me if you are interested in a group buy.

Martyn

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 21
IIRC Mouser has a "flat-rate" shipping option by USPS for small orders - that might be worth checking out. Also, you can look for the values you need on ebay - there are a couple of places that sell 25-50 off at reasonable prices with postage in the $5-6 range.

/U.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatrtynB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had conflicting reports on the rapid resistors, I am temped toi mport a reasonable stock of the V-B resistors, I am about to build a PIMETA

Any more information on that?

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Or not bother with them. The Rapid 0.1% 0.4W resistors are excellent quality, even if they're not "audiophile" rated.

Gus is correct here. The Pimeta is not a revealing enough amp where boutique resistors are going to make a bit of difference. Further, those particular resistors are just generic resistors. They are not particularly good sounding in spots where it does make a difference. Save your money.

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Any more information on that?

Well, Tangent makes a strong case for using the V-D resistors in the singnal path in the Pimeta, so I'm inclined to follow his lead, I am happy to purchase a reasonable qty of these parts as I am sure the current Pimeta project wont be my last.

But as you know they are quite difficult to get in the uk, so I was recommended to use the 0.1% resistors offered by rapid, but I recieved a couple of messages that I wont quote as they were PM's, that implied that these resistors where not that good and would lead to a rather harsh result.

Other post suggest that the Pimeta is not a revealing enough amp where boutique resistors are going to make a bit of difference, so the dilema.

As a newbie I would appreciate some guidance, I respect Tangent, but don't want to waste money.

Two questions, a. if its not worth getting the V-Ds for the Pimeta how far up the ladder of amps do you need to go before you realy benefit from this quality of component; b. how good are the rapid 0.1% resistors?

I may well go ahead with the group buy if there is enoughinterest, I'm not planning to become a UK distribution agent for V-D but would be happy to help out other uk'ers after these components.

Martyn

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 21
Put it this way, the VD resistors are good quality and easily available in the States, so are a good choice there. They are not worth importing simply because they've been used be people here. The Rapid resistors are a step up from the generic resistors that tangent quotes in his documentation. I've use them in amps from a MINT up to a Dynahi, and other projects. I can't hear any difference between good quality resistors are boutique audiophile resistors, which is not to say those willing to spend more money can't hear a difference!

As I've said, I've used those resistors since day one (4yrs ago now) and have had no problem what so ever, and the sound is just fine.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 21
Just get the rapid resistors there cheaper still metal film and if your worried about 0.01 of an ohm then you shouldent be as the pcb traces themselves have reistances as do all your solder joints. buy things that will actualy make a difference instead of just have bragging rights
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the rapid resistors there cheaper still metal film and if your worried about 0.01 of an ohm then you shouldent be as the pcb traces themselves have reistances as do all your solder joints. buy things that will actualy make a difference instead of just have bragging rights
biggrin.gif

? bragging rights ?

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Put it this way, the VD resistors are good quality and easily available in the States, so are a good choice there. They are not worth importing simply because they've been used be people here. The Rapid resistors are a step up from the generic resistors that tangent quotes in his documentation. I've use them in amps from a MINT up to a Dynahi, and other projects. I can't hear any difference between good quality resistors are boutique audiophile resistors, which is not to say those willing to spend more money can't hear a difference!

As I've said, I've used those resistors since day one (4yrs ago now) and have had no problem what so ever, and the sound is just fine.

Guzzler, thanks for this, it is exactly the clear advice that I was looking for, I think I'll go with the Rapid and see what the results are like

martyn

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatrtynB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guzzler, thanks for this, it is exactly the clear advice that I was looking for, I think I'll go with the Rapid and see what the results are like

martyn

Ok, well i do have a xfeed to build up as well, are we saying that the rapid resistors are ok for this also. As for bragging rights, I was led to belive that the Vishay resistors where sonically better, which is why i have used them in the past.

I would still be interested in a group buy if anyone was organising one.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back