Vishay/Dale resistors.
Apr 28, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd slip my question into this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm building a PIMETA and I need resistors. I'd like to buy through Digikey. Do they sell individual resistors? It looks like they only show prices for large amounts. I'm confused by the choices, what specific resistors should I be looking at?

I placed a big order(close to $200) of VD resistors through Newark. They have almost every nominal in VD RN or CMF 1% 1/8 series. And most important for me that they care about Canadian customers meaning no insane brokerage/duty fees and flat $6 shipping. Digikey is very good too, but their prices for some parts are higher, and as I recollect, one is looking at minimum of $32.50 or something to avoid a handling fee.
I haven't tried BC resistors yet but truly believe that they should be on par with VD. It's better to trust your intuition and sense of hearing than go by brand names.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 22
Dec 6, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 22
I use Vishay resistors because they are inexpensive(for me usually 6 to 9 cents us each). I will usually make an order with Mouser and Digikey at the same time because one or the other will be out of the value I am after.
Here is the procedure I go through to order:
1. Bring up the desired wattage rating I need. I usually select "½watt/¾watt/1watt" to get better results.
2. Select the value and press "apply filter" to show all the ones with that value.
3. First I want to check and see if they even have it in stock.
4. If it is in stock, I will make an effort to make sure it is the same size if I care for the project to look good, otherwise it doesn't matter. If I get OCD about it, as with the Dynamite build, I will match size, tolerance, temp. coefficient, so it will look neater(and maybe sell quicker to another OCD type LOL) If you are dealing with quarter watt Vishays, the CMF and RN ones are exactly the same part, RN one's have a lower rating for the military, other than the markings they are identical.

I forgot to add that before all this I bring up resistors then select Metal Film Resistors. You're not gonna save a boatload by using one over the other, but it may make ordering easier and cheaper shipping wise.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 22
V-D resistors offer the highest-quality, most consistent, thoroughly under-rated resistors available, IMHO - that includes the Xicon's mentioned (where'd that come from?) and the supposedly-audiophilic PRP resistors.

Check out Allied Electronics - Allied Electronics - Electronic Components Distribution - they have pretty much all of the V-D resistors and are tons better than Newark in ordering and shipping. As a matter of fact, Allied's shipping is the best I've seen - very cheap and dependable. They will ship through whatever means you specify and will only charge what it costs.

EDIT: We seem to be getting a lot of these resurrected threads, lately.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back